PDA

View Full Version : Gas Check vs lube

GunsAndHarley
04-05-2016, 06:34 AM
If I use a gas check bullet and want to push speed to 1700 1800 fps, what type of lube do you think is best. 1895g with .460-350VG from accurate. I am looking at receipe right now and I am a bit hesitant. I want to make the lube myself and thinking of using moly grease in the mix.
Your input is welcome.

GhostHawk
04-05-2016, 09:21 AM
For those speeds either Ben's Red or Ben's Liquid Lube would work IMO.

BLL being 60% Lee Alox and 40% Johnson's One Step floor wax.

Many mix and store in soft plastic ketchup bottles.

I prefer to mix and long term store in a glass Ragu jar. Refill the bottles the Alox comes in for use.
Flip spout seems to seal fairly well. It will settle out some over time so drop a boolit in the bottom for shaking it back up.

w5pv
04-05-2016, 10:36 AM
I have loaded thousands of rounds with Ben's red and Ben's Liquid lube without leading,All I can say is thanks Ben for sharing.

GunsAndHarley
04-05-2016, 11:50 AM
So if I get it, no lube in groove? Or both?

GunsAndHarley
04-05-2016, 11:51 AM
I will give it a try

leftiye
04-05-2016, 02:38 PM
I hope you handle recoil well.

noisewaterphd
04-05-2016, 02:43 PM
I use my own homemade lube for hot Casull and .500WE loads with no leading, and a shiny bore every time.

My lube shares many of the same ingredients as are in Ben's Red, and with others saying Ben's works for them, I have no doubt it would be a great place to start for you.

GunsAndHarley
04-05-2016, 04:09 PM
I hope you handle recoil well.

With a kick ease recoil pad, no problemo!!!

GunsAndHarley
04-05-2016, 07:23 PM
Ok I am trying the Ben's red since a have a lube sizer on it's way. Bee wax ok red tacky grease ok dextron and stp ok. But sc Johnson wax is not sold in Canada but I did find a caraunuba base wax and it should do the trick. I am cooking next week-end [emoji12]

RogerDat
04-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Actually the liquid version of Johnsons Wax is a discontinued item. SC Johnsons is no longer making it. I'm pretty sure the paste wax version is still being manufactured.

jcren
04-05-2016, 07:45 PM
Johnson's paste wax is just a carnuba based hardwood floor wax.

runfiverun
04-05-2016, 10:42 PM
tre-wax is pretty darn close.
skip the stuff with pigment in it.
or make your own it's paraffin and 5% carnuba wax with solvents in it to keep it soft.
you cook the solvents out anyway.
try a little more bees-wax in the recipe but follow Ben's directions exactly especially the part about the grease.
if you read his sticky [on the BLL] his sig-line has a link to making the Red.
I have some alternate instructions in that thread and his/my directions are the only way it really comes out correct.
don't short cut it.

Screwbolts
04-06-2016, 11:23 AM
I know R5R did not mention it, but I use a lot of his, simple lube, as his original recipe. All calibers of smokeless get simple lube in my cannons. Including my ccast hunting guns, Pistol caliber and up. It has become so reliable for me that I do not hesitate or even think about cold barrel,or clean barrel, to make first shot count.

There are many good lubes on this site, and Ben has his name attached to a lot of them also.

Ken

qcredneck
04-17-2016, 01:26 AM
Ok I am trying the Ben's red since a have a lube sizer on it's way. Bee wax ok red tacky grease ok dextron and stp ok. But sc Johnson wax is not sold in Canada but I did find a caraunuba base wax and it should do the trick. I am cooking next week-end [emoji12]
I live in Canada too and i use minwax paste wax instead. Work ok.

Lloyd Smale
04-17-2016, 07:24 AM
I used to make my own lubes. I tried many. felix lube was probably my favorite. After tryin LAR's lubes it seem silly for me to even fool with making them as cheap as he sold them and all of his variations work real well. For what you want to do you couldn't be his Cordoba lube. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?303961-which-white-label-lube-is-best-for-me