PDA

View Full Version : Arsenic percentage

rrob692326
04-04-2016, 10:28 PM
Hello I would like to know what percentage of arsenic is required to use as a grain refiner to be able to heat treat a large batch of boolits? I understand from lawrence that their magnum #9 shot the percentage is about 1.5 percent. which calculates to 6 ounces of arsenic per 25 lb per bag. I have heard round about that the percentage needed to be able to heat treat is .0015 percent, did I get one to many zeros here or is it actually the right percentage number? I have 400 lbs of 3 percent antimony lead with a half percent tin set aside just need to add the appropriate amount of arsenic/Lawrence shot to get rolling.
Many thanks for the info and any advise.
RR

runfiverun
04-04-2016, 11:11 PM
that shot will also add antimony airc it's about 5% so factor that in.
.25% is in ww's half that is enough to work as a grain refiner but your after it as a precipitator for the antimony.
you do not need the precipitator nor the arsenic.
the precipitator just speeds up the hardening process. [if your patient the bhn will come up to the same amount]
your waiting for the antimony to settle into place.
sulpher will replace arsenic as both a precipitator and a grain refiner it's also great at getting zinc out of an alloy and cleaning it too.
cutting tin down to about .25% will make it also act as a grain refiner but it is not a precipitator.

too many things
04-05-2016, 08:04 PM
your amount on the arsenic in the shot needs a "00" in front At the price of arsenic if 25lb had 6oz the shot would cost $3000 a bag
last I bought a few years back was $1 a gram 10 gram piece is about 1in long and about size of a ball point ink tube
2 gram per 25lb is about right to make shot flow from a lead/ antimony/tin mix . Tin will work for the flow but it makes shot too soft to use.
I asked a tire supply guy why WW has arsenic in it anyway. reason is the arsenic makes the lead flow to fill the mold where the stamping is. Have you ever seen a ww with a messed up letter/weight number?

rrob692326
04-05-2016, 09:24 PM
I got the percentage of arsenic in lawrence shot from the lasc Glenn Fryxall article

Heat Treating Lead/Antimony/Arsenic Alloys

By: Rick Kelter

According to the manufacturer Lawrence, magnum shot is supposed to contain 4% antimony and 11/4% - 11/2% arsenic.
So what percentage do I need to accomplish heat treating with arsenic, though I like the sulphur option just never used it? Not real good with decimals can you give me the decimal percentage of the arsenic necessary to help an old math dullard
thank you

454PB
04-05-2016, 10:12 PM
Like R5R said, you don't need arsenic, you need time.

runfiverun
04-05-2016, 10:16 PM
0.125 [one half of 1/4% or 0.25]
too much arsenic is not good in a casting alloy.
it's used in shot to make it round because it causes surface tension.
2 oz's should get 100 lbs where you want it at the .125 [1/8th percent]

rrob692326
04-06-2016, 01:10 AM
Thanks everyone for your help.

too many things
04-10-2016, 10:38 AM
run is about right 1 1/2 to 2 oz per 100lb. the arsenic they use is not the pure stuff I bought . there is lead arsenic and pure