PDA

View Full Version : Finally! 6.5 Carcano on paper

corvette8n
05-07-2008, 04:48 PM
I finally got the 6.5 Carcano carbine on paper yesterday. I sized some .270 cast to .267 loaded behind 25gr of H4895 it shot low and too the left but at least is it on the paper at 25 yards. When I shot the Privi 6.5 ammo to get brass it would'nt even hit the paper at 25 yards. This is my ongoing gunsmithing project. I might open the sizer up to .268. Still need to rig some type of more permanet rear sight. I also wish I could come up with a single stack mag I could use in place of the enbloc clips. [smilie=b:

jonk
05-07-2008, 05:36 PM
So far as it goes, I saw a guy somehow modify one to use as a standard mag... I didn't see it closely but as I recall it involved welding a ring to the follower- I think he used a 1911 toggle- and installing a new follower on top of THAT- with a pin driven through the ring to hold the follower in place. He also somehow installed an interrupter in the feed system- might have just been a few pieces of milled bar stock welded to the receiver but I"m not sure... and that could easily mess up the heat treatment. In short, lot of work for little return.

I also saw one modified to take an AK mag, though it had a sporter barrel.

The clips are a pain but any mod to get rid of them is worth likely 3X the cost of the gun; one thing that MIGHT be possible is a sled to fit in to allow easier single shot loading, depending what equipment you have.

NoDakJak
05-07-2008, 06:08 PM
I don't know how feasible it would be but I considered adapting a 788 Remington magazine to my Carcano. I sold the rifle before I could try it. Do intend to try adapting a Lee Enfield magazine to my Dutch Mannlicher carbine that is chambered to 6.5x53R. Good luck! Neil

skeet1
05-31-2008, 09:17 PM
I have a bad memory with a Carcano carbine. I was young and stupid and I guess it wasn't the carbines fault; it was like new with matching numbers. I was shooting some very old military ammo and one of them blew part of the case head off and sent molten brass back into my face. The carcano does not have any way of venting off escaping gas. Some of the brass struck me in the right eye brow but missed my eye. If I had been using newer ammo it would not have happened. That was the last time I shot that carbine.

Skeet1