PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 Winchester using Missouri Bullet Company Hi-Tek Bullets

tgtmaster
04-04-2016, 10:05 PM
I own a Glenfield Model 30 that I am thinking about loading for. I found a fair amount of 30-30 Winchester load data using Lead bullets and Unique (I almost exclusively use Unique with my handgun loads). I was curious if anyone would share with me their thoughts about using the following Missouri Bullet Company bullets with this powder:

#3 Whitetail - Hi-Tek
.311 Diameter
135 Grain RNFP
Brinell 18
For Marlin Lever Guns
Hi-Tek 2-Extreme Coating

#4 Whitetail - Hi-Tek
.311 Diameter
165 Grain RNFP
Brinell 18
For Marlin Lever Guns
Hi-Tek 2-Extreme Coating

My objective is to have a round that is pleasant to shoot, adequate open sight accuracy and be used on Whitetail Deer out to 100 yards. I may go to a peep sight if the round turns out to be a keeper.

Thank you, tgtmaster

runfiverun
04-04-2016, 10:16 PM
well I don't know the bullet for sure.
but if it's the bevel based magma engineering boolit with the .298 nose your velocity is gonna be in the 7-8grs of unique range.
basically good for poking a pencil sized hole through stuff.

I would beg or borrow or buy some 311041's, rcbs 30-150/180 fngc's or the lee version.
and speed things up over 1800 fps with an alloy about half the bhn you got going there.

unless you can get them to pretty much walk under your tree stand and brain them straight down.
but then a cinder block would work too and you can use it over and over if you put a rope on it.

aspangler
04-04-2016, 11:55 PM
well I don't know the bullet for sure.
but if it's the bevel based magma engineering boolit with the .298 nose your velocity is gonna be in the 7-8grs of unique range.
basically good for poking a pencil sized hole through stuff.

I would beg or borrow or buy some 311041's, rcbs 30-150/180 fngc's or the lee version.
and speed things up over 1800 fps with an alloy about half the bhn you got going there.

unless you can get them to pretty much walk under your tree stand and brain them straight down.
but then a cinder block would work too and you can use it over and over if you put a rope on it.

Beat me to it. +1 on this.