PDA

View Full Version : 17 HM2 Results of Recent Production?

MT_DD_FAN
04-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Has anyone tested the recent batch of Hornady/CCI 17 HM2 ammo? What were the group sizes and velocities? How about lot numbers?

Just wondering since I'm still using my original stash of Eley.

oldred
04-04-2016, 03:34 PM
You actually found some???

I came REALLY close to buying a nice Anschutz that had been rebarreled to HM2, the rifle was a tack driver and there was something about that little round that got my attention. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on point of view, the panic had just started and ammo was simply not to be had for love or money! The supply had already gotten scarce even before the panic but that was the last nail in the coffin I thought and I expected it to take a place in history alongside the 5MM RF round. I have not seen any of that 17HM2 stuff for several years now.

MT_DD_FAN
04-04-2016, 10:02 PM
You actually found some???

I came REALLY close to buying a nice Anschutz that had been rebarreled to HM2, the rifle was a tack driver and there was something about that little round that got my attention. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on point of view, the panic had just started and ammo was simply not to be had for love or money! The supply had already gotten scarce even before the panic but that was the last nail in the coffin I thought and I expected it to take a place in history alongside the 5MM RF round. I have not seen any of that 17HM2 stuff for several years now.
Oldred - thanks for the reply. Yeah, some Hornady 17HM2 showed up at a big box store near me, and I've seen some in stock recently at on-line retailers but it didn't last long! However, I didn't try to buy any since I still have a couple of cases of Eley that I bought several years ago :-P. At that time, I tested all the types I could find, and the Eley worked best in both my CZ and Anschutz. So, I bit the bullet and paid what seemed like an outrageous price for a couple of cases of Eley. Now it feels like I'm sitting on a gold mine...LOL

Earlwb
04-04-2016, 10:07 PM
They seem to have the .17 HMR stuff in stock around here fairly well even the newer .17 WMR and even the A17 version. Some local gun stores have it. The big box stores like Cabelas, Bass Pro, Academy, Gander Mtn, and Dicks all have the rounds too. It is fairly well stocked on the shelves. Now then the .22 LR cartridges tend to leave the shelves pretty fast, but the more expensive higher end 22 LR's are still in stock as slow moving items.

But I have never seen any .17 HM2 stuff anywhere yet. I am not sure they even make the cartridges. It is a interesting round though. They take a .22 LR case and neck it down to .17. So it would be reasonable to assume a gunmaker could make .17 bore barrels and chamber them for it. A regular .22 LR gun would be easy to convert for it in that sense. But I haven't seen anyone selling a rifle or pistol for the cartridge yet either. Since they made it way back in 2004, it has not gained any popularity with the shooters. Since it costs more than a .22LR costs, it didn't help any with popularity either.

MT_DD_FAN
04-06-2016, 12:10 PM
Earlwb- Yes, CCI is still producing 17HM2 ammo and a production run was released not too long ago. It was in a couple of stores here in MT, and briefly available from on-line retailers. The new 17HM2 ammo I saw carried the Hornady label (CCI makes loads it for Hornady using V-Max bullets) but I assume that CCI has/will continue(d) to produce and sell it under their label. As far as firearms currently produced in 17HM2, I believe Savage is the only one.
They make it in their Mark II F (http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIF) and their Mark II FV (http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFV).

Earlwb
04-08-2016, 10:35 PM
It looks like one has to mail order the HM2 ammo out here. None of the big box stores carry it. Rifles have the same problem, you would have to special order them, they aren't carrying them either. Unfortunately, the .17 HM2 has to compete with the .22 LR and the .17 HMR. So it does not bode well for its future.

MT_DD_FAN
04-09-2016, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure that ammo availability in a big box store is a good measure. Heck, there hasn't been any 22 Mag for sale in any type of store for a couple of years now, and it's finally just now starting to show up. A couple of the local stores around here have finally gotten 22 Mag back in stock only in the last few weeks! As for mail ordering rimfire ammo, I've been doing that for the last 2 years for 22LR, and we all know firearms chambered for 22LR aren't going away. I bet we'll see more rimfire ammo on the shelves by mid-summer or early fall but then hold your breath. Depending on the outcome of the presidential election in Nov., the ammo & gun buying panic could start again...

Earlwb
04-09-2016, 08:27 PM
Right now the big box stores are getting in their shipments of 22LR ammo in my area. The bulk boxes as well as 50 round and 100 round boxes too. They seem to have a decent supply of the more expensive match ammo as well. The stores out here did seem to have some 22 magnum ammo as well as a good supply of the .17 HMR and .17 WSM stuff. But the .17 ammo seems to be priced in the centerfire cartridge price levels though. Out here the rim fire stuff comes in spurts. The store gets it in and then it is gone in short order and a while later more comes in and the cycle repeats.

But yeah, I kind of expect a panic to happen as soon as we find out who wins the election this year.

I remember in the past when I was younger, where I could buy a box of cartridges for my deer rifle and it would last me for years. I would only need one shot to kill a deer, once a year. But there were times, I noticed during the gulf wars, where my ammo was out of stock on the shelves. I remember going to Bass Pro Outdoor world once and the ammo shelves were just about completely empty. Only the more obscure ammo was left. Fortunately, I still had some, so it wasn't a disaster, so to speak. They didn't get in .308 Win ammo for quite a while at the time. Good thing I didn't need to re-sight in my rifle or anything. But target shooting for practice or fun was off the schedule.

MT_DD_FAN
04-11-2016, 10:26 AM
Right now the big box stores are getting in their shipments of 22LR ammo in my area. The bulk boxes as well as 50 round and 100 round boxes too. They seem to have a decent supply of the more expensive match ammo as well. The stores out here did seem to have some 22 magnum ammo as well as a good supply of the .17 HMR and .17 WSM stuff. But the .17 ammo seems to be priced in the centerfire cartridge price levels though. Out here the rim fire stuff comes in spurts. The store gets it in and then it is gone in short order and a while later more comes in and the cycle repeats.

But yeah, I kind of expect a panic to happen as soon as we find out who wins the election this year.

I remember in the past when I was younger, where I could buy a box of cartridges for my deer rifle and it would last me for years. I would only need one shot to kill a deer, once a year. But there were times, I noticed during the gulf wars, where my ammo was out of stock on the shelves. I remember going to Bass Pro Outdoor world once and the ammo shelves were just about completely empty. Only the more obscure ammo was left. Fortunately, I still had some, so it wasn't a disaster, so to speak. They didn't get in .308 Win ammo for quite a while at the time. Good thing I didn't need to re-sight in my rifle or anything. But target shooting for practice or fun was off the schedule.

Let's hope that if the 'right' candidate wins the POTUS election in Nov, that calm will prevail in the firearms industry for a few years!

Pardini
04-13-2016, 11:00 PM
I'm thinking of selling all my HM2 ammo and throwing the Anshutz in for free. Doubt anyone would want to buy the rifle with the ammo situation. With the price the ammo is selling for, I would probably break even selling the gun and ammo together. HMR is a much more sensible choice at this point and I don't see the HM2 ammo ever selling for less than the HMR.

MT_DD_FAN
04-14-2016, 10:58 AM
HMR is a much more sensible choice at this point and I don't see the HM2 ammo ever selling for less than the HMR.

Well, I'm not sure that I would totally agree with that statement. Five years ago, no one would have ever predicted that Rem Thunderbolt, CCI Blazer, or any other cheap 22LR ammo would be selling for $50, $75 or more per brick! Right now, it looks that way but markets do change...LOL!

Pardini
04-14-2016, 09:33 PM
Well, I'm not sure that I would totally agree with that statement. Five years ago, no one would have ever predicted that Rem Thunderbolt, CCI Blazer, or any other cheap 22LR ammo would be selling for $50, $75 or more per brick! Right now, it looks that way but markets do change...LOL!

They change alright, the price goes up. Apple's and oranges though. HM2 is made in one run per year, as opposed to 22 LR that's made year round.

odfairfaxsub
04-18-2016, 11:57 AM
I'd be afraid to buy a plinking round where they set the machine up for a short period of time and run it then kill production for the year. About as bad as 5mm.

Earlwb
04-19-2016, 03:27 PM
I have yet to see any 17 HM2 ammo show up anywhere. Plus the stores around here aren't selling rifles for it either. I would hate to be someone who had a rifle chambered for this round as you can't get ammo for it. It is a ominous sign.