PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pro-Melt Temp Issue

MT_DD_FAN
04-04-2016, 02:02 PM
My RCBS Pro-Melt furnace seems to have problems getting up to normal casting temps.
So, I'm looking for suggestions on things to check/home repair before I send it back to RCBS. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

edctexas
04-04-2016, 05:12 PM
I would try measuring the temp of the melt unless it will not melt at all. They will be looking to s that kind of info. If you provided the max temp, they should just send you a new one. It is a simple machine! Either the thermostat or the heater is bad.

Ed C

Smoke4320
04-04-2016, 05:29 PM
How are you measuring the max temp achieved ? or is it not melting the lead ?
Reason I ask is the cheap 1-2" rd thermometers are almost always off .. Mine is by 25 degrees .. one persons here was off by 125 degrees

MT_DD_FAN
04-04-2016, 09:31 PM
I would try measuring the temp of the melt unless it will not melt at all. They will be looking to s that kind of info. If you provided the max temp, they should just send you a new one. It is a simple machine! Either the thermostat or the heater is bad.

Ed C
Ed- Thanks for the reply. When I used the pot last (last fall) it was melting but it barely got to a good casting temp, but it was cold in the garage - about +10F. But I didn't record the max temp with the control dial turned to max. I'll do that this spring before I contact RCBS.

MT_DD_FAN
04-04-2016, 09:38 PM
How are you measuring the max temp achieved ? or is it not melting the lead ?
Reason I ask is the cheap 1-2" rd thermometers are almost always off .. Mine is by 25 degrees .. one persons here was off by 125 degrees

Smoke- Thanks for the reply! Yes, the pot melts lead fine and seems to maintain temp OK. As I recall from my last casting session last fall, the temps didn't get quite high enough to suit my cast iron moulds, but I didn't measure them. I measure the temp with two different dial thermometers, both have dials of approx. 2 inches or so. IIRC, one is an RCBS-brand, and the other I don't remember. But maybe I should look into getting another (high quality) thermometer, or checking the calibrations on the ones I have. Do you have any suggestions on a better brand/type, or a good shop that provides a QA/QC service on temp measurement equipment?

Mike W1
04-04-2016, 10:57 PM
I'd check the calibration of the thermometers with boiling water for a start. You might find they're both off by quite a bit. My TelTru was about 100° off if I remember correctly.

Personally I'm sold on PID's as a faster reacting thermometer if nothing else. You can build one for about the same price as a good thermometer anyway and then you'll have a better control on your pot than the factory thermostat.

VHoward
04-04-2016, 11:48 PM
Also, some multitesters have the capability to measure tempurature using a k type thermocouple. Those are accurate.

MT_DD_FAN
04-05-2016, 12:23 PM
I'd check the calibration of the thermometers with boiling water for a start. You might find they're both off by quite a bit. My TelTru was about 100° off if I remember correctly.

Personally I'm sold on PID's as a faster reacting thermometer if nothing else. You can build one for about the same price as a good thermometer anyway and then you'll have a better control on your pot than the factory thermostat.

I saw and briefly looked at the PID stickies but haven't taken the time to review in depth. I'm not much of an electrician but maybe I can figure it out...LOL. I thought about using boiling water but 212F is a long way from the temp range I'm concerned about so I didn't bother. But it sounds like it would be worthwhile as a gross QC check and if my t-meters are a long way off, then that's worth knowing, too.

MT_DD_FAN
04-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Also, some multitesters have the capability to measure tempurature using a k type thermocouple. Those are accurate.

Thanks for the suggestion - another option to look into.