PDA

View Full Version : TC Hawken Flintlock/Percussion Convertible?

101VooDoo
04-04-2016, 01:35 PM
Hi,

Years ago, my son was given a TC Hawken stock with a percussion barrel.

The fella noticed my son was left handed and gave him a stock he had 'modified' to be shot left handed. Stock is useless, but it has a nice TC .50 Cal 15/16 percussion barrel with an excellent bore though no lock/trigger/guard.

I was thinking, (dangerous, I know) that if a bought a TC Hawken flintlock rifle, and a spare percussion lock, I could switch back and forth when the mood struck me.

Any reason this wouldn't work?

Jim

bubba.50
04-04-2016, 01:48 PM
no reason at all for it not to work. now, if ya was goin' the other way, sometimes if ya put a T/C flint lock on a percussion stock ya hafta make a little wiggle room in the lock inlet.

101VooDoo
04-04-2016, 03:59 PM
Great. I was on the fence after coming across the TC in a closet this weekend, but now I'll be on the lookout for a Flintlock TC.

Thanks for the help

Jim

waarp8nt
04-04-2016, 06:33 PM
I have done something similar to what your wanting to do except with a Renegade in a right hand version. I went from percussion to flintlock and had to do what bubba.50 said....I had to open the lock area up a little to allow the flintlock to operate.

Let me get this straight your current barrel is a left hand caplock? So you will be looking for a left hand T/C Hawken rifle?

101VooDoo
04-04-2016, 06:59 PM
No, it's a right handed barrel and stock. The gentleman took a lot of wood off the comb trying to shape it for a left handed shooter.

I'm going to use the barrel with a right handed tc hawken flintlock (when I find one ) and look for a left handed caplock for my son.

Texantothecore
04-04-2016, 10:54 PM
no reason at all for it not to work. now, if ya was goin' the other way, sometimes if ya put a T/C flint lock on a percussion stock ya hafta make a little wiggle room in the lock inlet.

Can you expand on your comments? I have a Traditions percussion Hawken that I would love to convert to a rock lock.

bubba.50
04-04-2016, 11:35 PM
Traditions/CVA's are different animals & ones I don't have much experience with. but, as to my comments concernin' T/C's, a little bit more wood sometimes needs to be removed about the bolster area of the inlettin' to put a flint lock in a percussion stock.

OverMax
04-05-2016, 09:10 AM
T/Cs Hawken flint lock stock will accommodate such swaps (flint to percussion) without the need to alter its stock or lock mortise. No trigger changes required. On the other hand having a T/C Hawken percussion stock. To swap out its barrel to Flint. Will require a slight opening of its Lock mortise to accommodate the factory F-lock.

I do swap out the barrel on my T/C Hawken Flint lock with other percussion barrels quite often. (Factory/ Percussion: Rd ball only 45 cal- After market/ Percussion: GM LRH 1-28 45 cal - Factory/ Flint 50-cal )

Col4570
04-05-2016, 09:18 AM
You can have the best of both worlds as follows:-Make a Frizzen Minus the Blade,Drill and Tap the pan cover and fit a Nipple,Fit a Percussion Hammer.Alternately instead of a Flint Fit a Block in the Jaws with a blind hole in it to act as a Percussion hammer.Some high class guns where made this way in order to change from one ignition to the Other.

mooman76
04-05-2016, 04:18 PM
Can you expand on your comments? I have a Traditions percussion Hawken that I would love to convert to a rock lock.

I converted a CVA(same as Traditions) years ago but the way the Breech plug/powder drum is you can't really go back or at least it isn't recommended. I just bought a rock lock for the same model and it dropped right in. I had to make a touch hole liner out of a cut off bolt because when I did this internet was just getting started and I couldn't find one with metric threads. Worked just fine in the end.

rbuck351
04-06-2016, 03:30 PM
I bought a used TC Hawken with 2 GM barrels in 32cal and 2 locks one flint and one cap. Simple switch from flint to cap lock but some one else did the work if any was done. It's my favorite BP gun.