PDA

View Full Version : and it's TWINS....

ssn vet
05-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Well, after smelting my little heart out on Saturday, I've now gone and done it.....

I did the deed.......

and it's ...... TWINS (actually it's 50tuplets) ...

I made a number of blunders.....but still managed to get 50 nice looking bullets...

details....

material = good 'ol wheel weights

mold = Lee 312-155

weight = ??? (my scale doesn't go up that high)

diameter = .312 at the lube ring, .306 at the body (and very consistant)

I dropped the first 20 into a wet towel, the next 50 were water dropped into a coffee can filled with water.

I culled about 15 bullets....mostly from the water dropped group.

In 20/20 hindsight, I did several things wrong ....

1. I sprayed to much carbon on the mold
2. I didn't keep the mold hot enough
3. I might not have had the pot hot enough
4. I was letting them cool to long before hitting the sprue plate (counted to 10)
5. I should have knocked a couple of burrs off the mold before I started.
6. I didn't lube the mold in all the right spots

But hey! I got 50 decent lookin' bullets done and didn't get kicked out of the basement by my wife.

Post casting events...

I cleaned the mold up with Coleman fuel...

I broke down and mailed in an order to the Bull Shop for sprue plate lube...

Posted pics hear...and now I can say....:castmine: :)

The instructions for the Lee mold say to whack the sprues before the "buttons" solidify. Can anyone give me some tips on when to strike them? time? observed indications?

Likewise, I'm not sure how long to wait before I drop them.

And finally, is there any way to prevent a bottom poor Lee PRO 4 pot from dripping as it cools down? I poored out all that I could into an ingot mold when I was done, but then got several dribbles as the pot cooled off. Which makes me suspect that it will be drbbling agian the next time I heat it up.

:lovebooli:cbpour::lovebooli:castmine:

leftiye
05-07-2008, 03:09 PM
You'll have to experiment a little.... (to get it just right) Watch for the sprue to go gray, and lose its shine. Then wait a little more. If you don't let the base cool enough the sprues will take a little of the boolit with them - and leave a crater. If you wait too long , the sprues will be hard to cut, and maybe leave little bumps on the base of the boolit. Best is a flat shiny smear where the sprue hole was.

Lees are famous drippers (have VD?)

docone31
05-07-2008, 04:08 PM
They look ok.
I have the same mold. I got it for my .30's and .303 British. I am going heavier though.
With whacking the sprue plate.
Watch the button on top of the plate. When it goes from liquid to the flash grey, just push it with your wooden dowel, or whatever you are using. It should just push off the sprues. Wait too long, and you have to hammer it, too soon, and it makes a smaller bullet.
As metal cools, it contracts. The sprue and button provide extra metal for the shrinkage. Just as it starts solidifying push the sprue plate.
I have found, one can never carbon up enough. I have to push my bullets out of the mold with the dowel.
I do sometimes 400 of these at a time. It is kinda fun.
I use the pan method to lube the bullets.
Place the bullets on a baking pan. I got one specifically for the purpose. Pour your lube on the pan, after the bullets reach 200#. Let the lube really sink in. Oh yeah, I do it in the oven. I tell the wife it is needful.
Once the lube has settled, shut off the heat. Let cool. Remove the pan, and let it cool totally. Turn it upside down on a towel and let sit over night. Whap the bottom of the pan and the entire cake falls out of the pan. Push the bullets base first out of the cake onto the towel. Gas check, size, and load untill you drop.
I keep my first bullet loose and close the bolt so I can set my depth. I like to keep them close to the rifling.
That flipping trick took some learning the first few times. Just let them sit overnight. The lube seperates from the pan. Pushing them base first through the cake keeps them lubed. The lube doesn't stick to the cake.
With the bottom pour, turn the rod a few turns to clear any debris from the spout. I have not yet had any leaks from mine, either heating, or cooling. I do it that way every time.

HORNET
05-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Like most of the better vices, casting is something that you can get better at with lots of practice...LOL

Hipshot
05-07-2008, 09:06 PM
ssn vet,
If you try to cut the sprue too soon the lead will smear on the top of the mold and will continue to build up until you just can't get a nice cut------YOU HAVE TO FIND A NATURAL STEADY PACE!
As far as your pot is concerned, I don't know what make you have, but if it is a Lee electric bottom pour you will see a screwdriver slot in the top of the stem----this is to turn/jiggle so the stem seats right----------also make your ingots in some other pot---not your casting pot (too much dirt/slag etc.) I use an old STEEL hub cap on an old COLEMAN stove pumped until it is about explode to make the ingots.

Hipshot

mold maker
05-07-2008, 09:24 PM
I've panned for gold with a hubcap, but never thought of using it to melt lead. Ya larn sumpen ever day.

454PB
05-07-2008, 10:08 PM
You're off to a great start.

My suggestions......don't use Coleman fuel to clean the mould. If you're cleaning a mould, it should be before you cast, not after. Use something with no oil as a cleaner....I like Gun Scrubber, but brake cleaner works too.

I've used Lee moulds for 35 years, and I don't smoke them, apply carbon, or use mould release. If you find those things improve it's casting, then there is something wrong with the mould. I also quit lubing them, it causes more problems than it cures. The lube will eventually find it's way into the cavities and cause all kinds of problems.

I would also encourage you to raise the heat until you get a light frosty appearance on the boolit surface.

Hipshot
05-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Mold maker,
The hubcap has a large surface area to lay the lead onto so it melts quickly instead of stacking it skyward---just spreads things out a bit! Also all the flame from the stove is hitting the hubcaps botton, not lost around the sides.

Hip

Walter Laich
05-10-2008, 07:49 AM
I ended up emptying my Lee pot and dressing the end of the stem; don't remove metal just clean it up with 600 w/d.

Walt