PDA

View Full Version : Walther CCP?

str8wal
04-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Anybody have this gun? My daughter is looking to get her carry permit and I am looking for a gun for her as the P95 I gave her for a house gun when she moved out on her own is a bit much. She likes the look and feel of it, but the LGS doesn't have a range to try it out. The other that she liked was the Shield 9mm. They don't have a lot of inventory there. I liked the trigger on the LC9s better but she didn't care for the looks of it. Form will trump fashion in the end though. Any other suggestions? There is another gun shop about an hour away with more selection, but still no try before buy.

TIA, Rod.

Pine Baron
04-04-2016, 11:42 AM
str8wal,
I have the CCP. I like the fixed barrel. Take down is weird, but easy after you get used to it. the gas pressure thing reduces recoil and racking effort, good for these old hands. points well, trigger is creepy, but breaks in after awhile. Fits my hand really well and is a natural pointer. My daughter likes it a lot, a natural progression from Walther's P-22. A good choice IMHO. Oh yeah and it really likes my Lee 358-124 RNFP, (PC'd sized .358) loaded with 4.0 gn Red Dot.

Bonz
04-04-2016, 11:51 AM
I tried the Ruger LC9s but wasn't enough to hold on with, especially with carry ammo. The 9mm shield is a great pistol and the new version by S&W Performance Center ( 10108 ) is even better for control (ported barrel, cut slide, trigger job and fiber sights). I do mostly find myself carrying the new version of the S&W Bodyguard .380 (no laser) because if its smaller size and good grip with my medium sized hands. I also like the Sig Sauer P290rs (newest version) because of its safety features while I carry it with a round in the chamber. It does have a trigger like a revolver, that would probably turn most women off.

jcren
04-04-2016, 02:16 PM
My wife loves her Walther pk380. Modern +p loads don't give up that much to a 9 or 38 out of a 2" barrel.

str8wal
04-05-2016, 11:10 AM
Had thought of a 380 but would prefer 9mm for ammo consistancy as she already has a P95 and I really don't "need" another to set up to handload for.

FergusonTO35
04-06-2016, 07:15 PM
Glock 43 all the way. Cheaper to buy, mags and parts are way easier to find, easy to rack the slide, and recoil is not bad for it's size.

9.3X62AL
04-07-2016, 11:22 AM
What Ferguson said. If I was able via policy to carry "real" 9mm ammo instead of the down-loaded 147 grain sub-sonic stuff, I would have chosen a Glock 43 instead of my second-in-row Glock 23 (40 S&W) after one daughter made off with the first one. Rotten kid, but she has good taste. :-)

str8wal
04-08-2016, 08:58 AM
A thumb safety is a requirement so Glocks are not in the running.

Pine Baron
04-08-2016, 09:05 AM
str8wal,
If you can get your hands on a Walther P22 it has the same feel as the CCP. Of course it's a .22 so it doesn't shoot the same, but it can give you a clue as to how it "feels in your hand". just sayin'.

Bonz
04-08-2016, 09:07 AM
Would be great if a gun store/range had every pistol/revolver in stock and available for rental out on their range. Sucks when I buy a handgun and don't like it for whatever reason. Absolutely great when I can "try before I buy"

Virginia John
04-08-2016, 11:04 AM
I have a S&W Bodyguard in .380 with a safety and I love it.

Handloader109
04-09-2016, 08:24 AM
May be late, but I do like my Walthers. Having said that, if she is going to put it in a purse, buy a revolver without an exposed hammer...... She can unload it thru the purse without having it jam..... Ccp would be a single shot. Just saying. If the is putting on her person, then the Ccp should be a good gun.

Powder Burn
04-09-2016, 08:39 AM
Lots of info on the Ccp and other Walthers. I prefer no safety on CC, but it is a personal choice.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/

str8wal
04-09-2016, 06:51 PM
if she is going to put it in a purse

Her mode of carry is her choice but if she listens to dear ole Dad it won't be in her purse. A purse is a prime target for an opportunistic thief and it can be a bit difficult to draw a weapon while struggling for control of the "holster", provided they don't just make off with it entirely.