PDA

View Full Version : Gonna use a problem as a basis for a project

jonk
05-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Shooting one of my 38 Turk rifles the other day, CRACK- the stock cracked from the upper right side down through the recoil lug area to the mag well.

This gun has an excellant bore and crown and is a pretty good shooter, but the stock was a greasy dirty mess. So while usually hesitant to do any modifications to a military gun for purity's sake, I'm going to do so with this one.

The crack can be repaired reasonably, but first step was to degrease the stock and clean it. A liberal application of purple power- spray, soak, spray, etc. for a few hours washed off the grease and grime. While I'm at it, the stock had several pressure points obvious where it has been bearing on the barrel. I'm going to correct those by opening up the wood. Additionally the barrel band fit was too tight- it cracked the handgaurd due to tension and caused some damage in removal due to having to hammer it on- a slight sanding of the area is in order.

So long story short, I'm fully into it now... I plan on totally refinishing the wood, glass bedding the action and free-floating the barrel (perhaps I'll bed it at the muzzle too, but will try w/o first), will polish the trigger with a diamond file or replace if I see a cheap one from timney or bold, firelap the bore, and install mojo target sights. The result should be a sow's ear made into a satin purse, if not silk... and other than the sights, which cause no alteration to the gun, still LOOK all original.

The question is, I've glass bedded guns before but never a Mauser. Ought I glass bed the mag into the stock as well?

M98
05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
you bed the front of action..and about 2 inches under barrel..that does it on a mauser..since you have the origional stock, you dont have to do the back stock pillar or that area...but if its all sloppy..you can..but only just around that.

jonk
05-07-2008, 05:27 PM
It is sloppy, a bit- mostly around the stock bolt. Little excess space. Also the cut outs on the side of the receiver there is a bit of a gap; so I'll get the front of the action and 2" plus the problem spots then. Thanks for the info!