PDA

View Full Version : reaming out the front of a 22 barrel

49FMarlin
04-04-2016, 05:17 AM
I read somewhere-(don't know if it was on here or not)
that you can ream out the front portion of a 22 a little larger than the bore, as long as you don't go beyond the 16"
recrown and it will quiet down the rifle report,, and i read its legal (you can believe all you read on the internet--lol)

thoughts on this

Mica_Hiebert
04-04-2016, 08:59 AM
its called counter boring, common practice with old military rifles with the muzzle rifling shot. I highly doubt you would notice any difference in report otherwise the faux suppressors they sell that are just a threaded piece of aluminum bar stock with a half inch bore would be classified as a real suppressor.

John Taylor
04-04-2016, 01:17 PM
If you want a quiet 22 get one with at least a 30" long barrel and shoot standard velocity ammo. No need for a $200 stamp and it's legal. My 29" model 90 is about as loud as an air rifle.

Mk42gunner
04-04-2016, 03:58 PM
A 27" Winchester Model 67 shooting shorts is pretty quiet too.

Robert

JSnover
04-04-2016, 05:07 PM
Unless the bore was was worn up front, I don't know if the sound reduction would be enough to justify it.

Geezer in NH
04-09-2016, 03:53 PM
The thought it seems was to make a like a bloop tube. I do not want to test BATFE authority as they have all our money backing them and I have very little for defense attorneys.

Counter boring is way to small to work anyway. Without a can use CCI CB longs, with a long barrel they are Quite (more so than a 17 high power air gun)

That still will not beat my Gemteck outback on a pistol however especially using them. Cost was 200 for the unit and the 200 tax so 400 buckaroo's

But with a long barrel 24 inch and a Now 10-12 buck box of ammo you to can have a very quite killer of small game or pests. I sold many in my shop for red squirrel killers that don't bother the neighbors

John Taylor
04-10-2016, 11:59 PM
The CCI quiet ammo is not loud at all. Just need to be sure your barrel is 24" or less or the bullet may not leave it. Loaded to about 740 FPS it makes more noise when it hits the target than the barrel report.

Ballistics in Scotland
04-11-2016, 12:24 PM
I would agree that standard velocity ammunition with a longish barrel is likely to provide more real-life satisfaction than doing this job, unless you are into debatable technical achievement. But counterboring the barrel is an interesting topic. I don't know the legality in the US, but in the UK a few people several decades ago counterbored indoor target rimfires until the real bore surface is really short, in order to minimize the effect of barrel flip. I think it would need to be done to considerably more than bullet diameter for two reasons. Barrel vibration must not produce contact, and fouling or unburnt grains will lie in the counterbore. I also believe the released gases will accelerate to a much higher velocity than the bullet, and who is to say whether they will bypass it evenly on all sides?

In 1887 a Dr.Gercke of Berlin patented a system based on his belief that a barrel could be divided into eighths, by weight, around the dividing points between which which it had a natural tendency to vibrate. If bullet-to-barrel contact ended at one of these ‘node points’, he claimed, the effect of barrel flip would be minimized. So he reamed the bore to slightly more than bullet diameter, from the muzzle to the ⅞ node point. You can certainly see motionless points if you wave a fishing-rod about, but I doubt if this effect is quite so neatly quantifiable. It might be truer to talk of eighths by moment of inertia, but if this isn't beyond rational calculation, it is beyond mine. Besides, the barrel at the node points isn't vibrating parallel to its original direction, but changing direction through a small but significant angle.