PDA

View Full Version : which white label lube is best for me?

Andy
04-04-2016, 12:47 AM
I have been using white label 50/50 for about a year with acceptable results but it is time to order more lube and I'm considering switching to the 2500, BAC or carnuba red lubes they offer. I shoot a wide variety of rifle and pistol cartridges and would like to keep things as simple as possible right now so would like to stick to one lube only. Am I better off to stay with the 50/50 or change to one of the others?

One of my main concerns is temperature variation where I live. It can often be 0 degrees during deer season and 90 degrees in the summer and I know this matters a lot for lube performance.

Many of my guns are geared toward self-defense or hunting and I only shoot cast bullets, no jacketed, so I'm looking to operate in the full velocity spectrum from plinking to hunting loads.

50/50 is working ok but i have had some very minor leading issues with 9mm and some rifle rounds so I wonder if I'm better off with a different lube, any thoughts you have on it are appreciated

knifemaker
04-04-2016, 03:57 AM
I used to use their BAC, but switched to the 2500 last year. Been using it in 45 acp to magnum pistol calibers and 7.62X39 mm rifle to a velocity of 2300 fps. No leading in any of the calibers. I am in Northern CA. and during summer time do not need to warm the lube sizer. Winter time I need to warm the lube sizer since it is in a unheated part of the garage.

runfiverun
04-04-2016, 09:09 AM
2500 would be your best bet.

marlin39a
04-04-2016, 09:44 AM
I run a heated 450. I only use Carnauba Red for handgun and rifle. Works fine in all applications.

Andy
04-16-2016, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys, I think I'll give 2500 a run for a while and see if I run into any wintertime issues.

9.3X62AL
04-16-2016, 03:44 PM
I have and use both 50/50 and Carnauba Red. Most handgun rounds use 50/50, most rifle rounds get CR. Overall experience has been that 50/50 starts "falling apart" in rifles around 1900-2000 FPS and/or 30K PSI (estimated). This experience includes MUCH use of Javelina--Lee--and now White Label brands of this lube.

I haven't had issues with 50/50 in any handgun load, as long as diametric integrity between throat and bullet are kosher. Some of my 9mm and magnum revolver loads exceed 30K PSI by a healthy margin. I think the most rigorous test i have given CR was in 22 Hornet, with #225438 in Lino running 2400 FPS with 9.0 x Alliant 2400 (ironic, eh?) and getting 1.4" to 1.7" 5-shotters at 100 yards. Things held up to 200 yards, too--3.0"-4.0" out there.

I believe in White Label products.

ShooterAZ
04-16-2016, 04:44 PM
I like White Label's products too. In wintertime I use straight BAC in my pistols. In summertime I will blend one stick of Carnauba Red with three sticks of BAC in a large pyrex measuring cup over a pot of boiling water. The measuring cup is suspended in the pot by the handle & spout. (double boiler) I then simply pour it into the lube sizer. The Carnauba Red stiffens it up so I don't have a stickiness problem in the warmer months. BAC works fantastic in pistols, but I generally use 2500+ in my rifles.

Dale53
04-16-2016, 04:49 PM
I have no issue with the comments above. Due to vision problems I shoot no long guns. However, I shoot LOTS of short guns. I use nothing but home cast bullets. My standard lube has long been Carnauba Red with my handguns. It works well for me from mild to wild.

It does require a heater.

I made my own lube for years. However, when I discovered Lars White Label Lubes, at their excellent performance and great prices, I switched and have never looked back.

Dale

MarkP
04-16-2016, 05:40 PM
I use CR and BAC for both HV rifle and handgun. In my basement I need to use a little heat to get BAC to flow which can be tricky it seems to have a narrow operating band with my dies and setup (Star).