PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on my new 1975 made Armi San Paolo Enfield Musketoon

Chook
04-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Bought this 1975 made Armi San Paolo Enfield Musketoon at a local Gunshow a few months ago for $140, unfired. It was someone's wall ornament and was mint except the idiot electro-pencilled his name on the barrel, so will have to get that buffed out. I am looking for any info on this particular manufacturers version of this Musketoon, but they are long out of business. I've looked at EuroArms, PH, and Pedersoli's versions and specs, but would love to see an original manual or specs on this Armi San Paolo built one if anybody has any. I've shot it with .570 RB's, .005 Ox-Yoke patches, over 50 grains by volume of Triple7. It will put the balls in a 2" circle at 50 yards with this load, but they are 6" high and 6" to the left of the bull. Any help or suggestions would be muchly appreciated, I just LOVE this rifle.

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a582/courtney_hook/DSCN6064_zpsrdoxkow5.jpg (http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/courtney_hook/media/DSCN6064_zpsrdoxkow5.jpg.html)

mooman76
04-03-2016, 06:27 PM
I don't know anything about it but, it is a nice looking gun.

varsity07840
04-03-2016, 06:35 PM
Just about all muskets/musketoons shoot high at short range. Replace the front sight with a taller, thicker one. Solder it slightly to the left of the original location. File it down if necessary for elevation and shift the sight left or right or file off one side for windage.

bedbugbilly
04-03-2016, 08:48 PM
Nice looking and you got a good price on it. I'm guessing that the little critter has 3 land/groove rifling? As mentioned, military rifled muskets usually shoot on the high side so you'll need to either change your sight picture or change out the front sight. You might want to try some hollow base minie balls in it as well since that was what would have been shot out of it (nothing wrong with shooting RB though and you are getting pretty good accuracy out of it with RB).

When I was shooting N-SSA many years ago, I knew a couple of team mates had Enfield musketoons of various makes that they did pretty well with when shooting for fun. Keep playing with it and the more you get used to it, I think you'll find your accuracy improving even more although I think you are doing great with it now using the RBs! If you can get some minie balls or a mold to make them - check your bore measurement so that they fit with fairly close tolerances. These are supposed to be .577 but that could easily vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

As far as parts, etc. - if you should need any - try S & S Firearms, Lodgewood Mfg. etc. You might also want to go to the N-SSA site (North-South Skirmish Association). There should be a forum on it where you could inquire as well. I don't think I've ever seen a reprint of a manual on an Enfield musketoon (reprint of an original British military manual) but perhaps there is someone on that site who could help you out. Someone may have an original ASP manual if they purchased on new but what would be in it is anybody's guess.

Good luck and enjoy!

Chook
04-03-2016, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the advice BBB. :-) It has 5 lands and grooves and appears to be a 1-48" twist. I have shot the Lee .578 478gr. minie and it is not as accurate as the roundballs so far, but will keep working on it.

Hellgate
04-04-2016, 12:03 AM
ASP became Euroarms. See photo for what they can do with 90grs FFg and a Lyman 577611 minie ball. That's a nice cow elk from the NW Oregon Coast Range.

Chook
04-04-2016, 01:09 AM
Ah yes, Oregon, God's Country. :-) The ONLY place I'd choose to live other than on my gorgeous Island. BTW, that is a great looking rifle, AND Elk. Elk meat is top of the line in my book, along with moose! Where abouts are you? I spend a lot of time in Oregon, around Bend and the Gorge area. Love the High Desert.

swamp
04-04-2016, 01:24 AM
I have a PH Musketoon and it really likes the Lyman 575494. It is a SWC style.
swamp

carbine
04-04-2016, 10:04 AM
You might thry the N-SSA.org bulletin board. For all thing Civil war

Hellgate
04-04-2016, 02:12 PM
Chook,
We got the elk a half hour west of my house in Portland.