PDA

View Full Version : lead alloy source

hank woll
04-03-2016, 03:53 PM
can someone tell me where i can find a reliable source for different lead alloys??

Went2kck
04-03-2016, 04:34 PM
http://www.rotometals.com/default.asp This one is good

bangerjim
04-03-2016, 04:51 PM
You. need to check in more often!!!!!!! Member since 2008 and only 9 posts?

Roto is a good on-line commercial source. Also check the S&S section for good people on here that sell lead and alloys. Good folks.

I find most of my lead and alloys at my local scrap yards who are more than glad to sell to anyone that walks thru thier gates. And they all give me x-ray scans of everything I buy for free.

banger

Jeffrey
04-03-2016, 05:13 PM
That depends on what you mean by "reliable". If you mean laboratory quality, guaranteed analysis then Rotometals is your source. If you mean "where can I get decent metal with which to make boolits" then your sources are much more varied. In that case, "Bullet casting and reloading" subsection "Lead and lead alloys" section of this site will give you plenty of ideas on how to scrounge lead. If you don't want to take the time to scrounge go to "The Commercial Sector" subsection "Swappin and Sellin". Plenty of people, myself included, have bought and sold all sorts of items, lead alloy included, in that section. Wheel weights you swap for pizza, donuts, cash or sometimes free for the asking from tire shops will get you started. Hit garage sales. Look for partial rolls of solder. Soft plumbing solder is composed of lead / tin or tin / copper. Many people use pewter as a source of tin (necessary for almost all boolits, except maybe round balls for muzzleloaders). If you do go the pewter route, make sure you are not melting high value objects for their low value tin content. 99.9% of the guys (and gals) here won't rip you off selling you alloy. The .01% that will won't last here. Look in "The Commercial Sector", subsection "Swappin and Sellin" subsection "Straight shooters and Deadbeats" for reports of people who make transactions here. The point is, you don't need "guaranteed analysis" alloy to get into casting decent boolits. The other thing I have for a newbie on this site is visit the "General" section, subsection "Classics and Stickies". You will find answers to many of your questions there. One more thing - beware the tinsel fairy.