PDA

View Full Version : is my glock just being a diva?

spooby82
04-03-2016, 10:13 AM
New member here, kinda. Joined 10+ years ago but been away a while.
Here is the problem- My 3rd gen glock 19 is tumbling everything with titegroup. The projectile is a powdercoated 125 grn rn. Worked up a ladder load from 3.5 to 4.1. At 3.5 they fly true for 20 feet before tumbling and keyholing. At 4.1 they are nearly tumbling out of the gate. I was using a powder called clean shot and the glock done well with it. Introduced tg and it went south. My p226 shoots the tg 3.8 charge just fine but a walther ccp was also having some tumbling issues. Am I missing something?

runfiverun
04-03-2016, 10:55 AM
I'd check the barrels crown.
then explore the load details.
I dunno nuthin about a grock but tumbling is only caused by an unstabilized bullet.
that unstabilization is either from not spinning fast enough or stripping the rifling [which is still not spinning fast enough]
I'd suspect with a powder change causing this, the acceleration is allowing the boolit to not grip the rifling well enough.

I mentioned the crown because if the boolit is marginally stabilized to begin with, the crown being off a bit will push it over the edge.
the load change might have been just enough change for the two things to finally show up.

Handloader109
04-03-2016, 11:30 AM
I had some of the same issues with red dot. Haven't used titegroup, but my other powders haven't had an issue. CFE, Longshot.

leadman
04-03-2016, 12:17 PM
Don't know what cartridge your guns shoot, which would help identify the problem. Could be your alloy is too soft, the boolit is too small for the bore, or the boolit is being sized down when the boolit is crimped or from too soft an alloy.

country gent
04-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Actual sizes of the cast and coated bullets would be a plus here, along with barrel dimensions. An undersized bullet wont grip rifling good and allows gas blow by. Another is velocity to low and you may not be fulliny stabilizing the bullet as well as it needs to be. Lighter loads may not obtrate the bullet to fill bore completely. Whaile not overly picky with the 9mm the bullet needs to fit the bore and velocity needs to be in a certain range. WIth what you posted I suspect that bullets are a marginal fit and some gas cutting of the bullet along with slipping is occouring. Depending on bore groove dimensions and bullet dia you may need to increase bullet dia by .001-.002 in dia. My Beratta 92 with grease groove bullet barly holds paper with .355/.356 dia. Use .358 and its 10 ring or a little better. (Groove dia measures .357 on this pistol) Check the fit of your bullets to your bore

spooby82
04-03-2016, 12:47 PM
I am sizing the bullets to .356. When recovering the bullets from the bank, there are no signs of gas cutting. No leading in the barrel after 200 rounds. The barrel is roughly 4 inches long. The harder I push the bullets, the worse they tumble. I am using very minimum belling and a softer than hard cast lead. I use a fcd but only enough to knock down the belling

twc1964
04-03-2016, 02:26 PM
You might try sizing your boolits to .358. My g19 loves this diameter. The diameter you are using never worked in my glock.ymmv

David2011
04-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Don't know what cartridge your guns shoot, which would help identify the problem. Could be your alloy is too soft, the boolit is too small for the bore, or the boolit is being sized down when the boolit is crimped or from too soft an alloy.

Glock 19=9mm Para, same for the Walther CCP, by definition a 9mm handgun. Not necessarily so with the P226 as they come in different chamberings.

I am sizing the bullets to .356. When recovering the bullets from the bank, there are no signs of gas cutting. No leading in the barrel after 200 rounds. The barrel is roughly 4 inches long. The harder I push the bullets, the worse they tumble. I am using very minimum belling and a softer than hard cast lead. I use a fcd but only enough to knock down the belling

Spooby,

I would agree that the boolits are probably too small and the Lee FCD could be making the problem worse. Try taper crimping with a regular taper crimp die. Measure the mouth O.D. against the specs in your loading manuals. Don't over-crimp as that can reduce the boolit diameter. Pull some boolits and measure after crimping to see if they're still .358". Lastly, you might try a slower powder. Unique, AA No. 7 and Power pistol are all slower and load data is available. You might be smearing the boolits instead of engaging the rifling and if so the boolits won't spin up and stabilize properly. Fast powder + undersized boolits= an almost guaranteed failure.

Good luck. Post a little more often and let us know how it goes!

David

brtelec
04-03-2016, 04:43 PM
Yeah I use a FCD with my cast bullets and you have to adjust very carefully.

Geezer in NH
04-05-2016, 09:34 PM
I bet your Boolits to small, my glocks like 357 or better. Red Dot is my favorite