PDA

View Full Version : Going simple with a .5 dipper this time

ghh3rd
04-03-2016, 12:28 AM
I have an electronic powder dispenser, Lee powder thrower, trickler, etc. but I think I am going to go simple, and try the Lee .5 dipper and some Unique for my first .45 acp 230 gr boolits. I weighed a .5 dipper full of Unique at 5.6 grains -- seems like a happy spot in the Start to Never Exceed range.

When I was testing, I was surprised to find that I could repeat 5.6 grains consistently with the dipper.

Randy

JSnover
04-03-2016, 01:15 AM
I have a complete set of dippers and I was also surprised at how easy it is to throw accurate charges with them. I haven't used them in years but can't bring myself to part with them.

ghh3rd
04-03-2016, 01:32 AM
If you ever want to put them up in a the PIF forum ... (wink, wink)

runfiverun
04-03-2016, 01:46 AM
I wouldn't make 500 of them at that charge but it's a good enough place to start.
you'll probably end up nearer to 6 grs than the 5.6 when it's said and done.

olafhardt
04-03-2016, 02:19 AM
I think the dippers are more accurate and repeatable for small charges but don't ask me to define small.

Lead Fred
04-03-2016, 02:36 AM
The chart with the dipper kit shows how much each powder fit per scoop.

Outpost75
04-03-2016, 01:14 PM
A dip measure made from a .22 LR case throws from 2.8-3.0 grains of Bullseye.

A .32 ACP case throws 5.8-6.0 grains of Bullseye

A 9mm case throws about 8-8.2 grains of Unique.

Your mileage may vary, but these came with my old hand-me-down Ideal tong tool

Yodogsandman
04-03-2016, 02:05 PM
Those dippers made from old shell casings can be filed down to match a favorite charge weight of powder. I've marked some with an etching tool rather than rely on memory.

quilbilly
04-03-2016, 03:07 PM
Those dippers are remarkably accurate. They are also a good way to avoid double charges. As time has passed I have been making them myself out of brass cases (pistol or rifle) and a hand metal tubing cutter then adding wire handles.

rsrocket1
04-03-2016, 03:29 PM
Randy,
Are you absolutely sure you are getting 5.6g Unique with a 0.5cc dipper? I used that dipper when I first started loading and it was for 45ACP. I think I remembered that the Lee printout says the 0.5cc dipper threw 4.5g Unique. When I checked it myself with the scale, it was closer to 4.0g Unique. I thought "If 4.5g was safe, 4.0g would be safer". I got a lot of sooty cases, blowback to the face and unburned powder flakes flying everywhere. My favorite plinking load for 45 ACP is 5.0g Unique, but upwards of 6.0g is still safe so 5.6g is certainly a safe load.

I just checked again in the garage and was dropping 4.0 to 4.1g with a couple of 0.5cc dippers which came with my Lee pistol die sets.

Checked the Lee dipper chart (http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/Dippers.pdf) and it says the 0.5cc dipper drops 4.6g Unique. There's the possibility that some uninformed loader would just start dipping and it would be hard to imagine Lee publishing the .5cc dipper dropping 4.6g Unique while some real world loaders are actually dropping a full grain more. If anything, I would guess that Lee would be a little optimistic with what the dippers dropped so that there is a little margin of safety.

Four-Sixty
04-03-2016, 07:10 PM
With my Lee .5cc dipper I just weighed out three charges of 4.1, 3.9 and 3.9 grains of Unique.

bedbugbilly
04-03-2016, 07:33 PM
I have the newer set (yellow) no the older ones (red). Mine all seem to weigh lighter than what the chart indicates. I only have a couple of different loads that I use dippers for but I've used spent casings of various sizes to make them. I use 6.0 gr of Red Dot in my 45 Colt (not ACP) and I used a 9mm for that (can't remember the headstamp). It dips right on the button and I can dip and load the casings quicker than I can using a powder drop measure.

The key to dippers is "consistency" and like any reloading, random checking your charges. If I do use any of my Lee dippers, I always check regardless of what the Lee chart says. Once you get a coating of powder dust on the Lee dippers and no static to attract addition individual grains of powder they do work well if there is one that throws the charge you need. Plus, you can always put a filler in the bottom of them to reduce the volume to what you need. I use mainly Bulls Eye, Red Dot, Green Dot and Unique and a dipper seems to work well with them all.

JeffG
04-03-2016, 08:07 PM
I love the dippers, especially working up loads or during those times I decide I want to bring the hand press into the house in the winter.

Petrol & Powder
04-03-2016, 08:12 PM
A dip measure made from a .22 LR case throws from 2.8-3.0 grains of Bullseye.

A .32 ACP case throws 5.8-6.0 grains of Bullseye

A 9mm case throws about 8-8.2 grains of Unique.

Your mileage may vary, but these came with my old hand-me-down Ideal tong tool
:goodpost:That's useful information!

GhostHawk
04-03-2016, 09:53 PM
You can go lighter on brass dippers with a little filler also.

Like a circle cut out of one of those white plastic foam boxes they give when you eat out? Or the plastic foam trays things in the store come on inside the cling wrap.

For a little less reduction a couple of circles of paper from a used target can be added to "adjust" that dipper.
Get it all exactly where you want it, add a tape tag that lists charge, powder. After only 3 years I have an assortment of at least 9 or 10. A drop of glue will hold everything just the way you left it.

Most cases for a caliber I do not shoot in large quantity, or for a powder I am trying out to see how well it works. Like 2 dippers I have for IMR 4227 loads in .357 mag. Both work, both shoot fine, but both are not as accurate as my existing load of Red Dot. But both are tagged and kept in case I ever need to load some heavy hunting loads with more authority.

Close on a case dipper but it is a hair short of capacity required? Neck it out a little, center punch, lee Universal flaring tool, etc. I also like to lightly sharpen the inside edge.

I have yet to find a particular style of handle that I like well enough to redo them all. My best ones have sheet copper soldered on the outside and taped handles for no sharp edges. But compared to a piece of wire twisted around the brass in the groove near the base those are time consuming to make.

Mk42gunner
04-04-2016, 12:55 AM
I like using dippers, either Lee or home made. I will look at the Lee chart to see if one of the plastic ones will deliver the charge I want, but if none do I am not averse to trimming a case junk case then soldering on a handle.

If I am going to load less than fifty rounds, I am more likely to use a dipper and scale than taking the time to adjust a powder measure.

Robert

HABCAN
04-04-2016, 10:17 AM
I have Lyman, Pacific, LEE and Bonanza measures, but also have made over a dozen 'dippers' from fired brass cases using big paper clips bent to shape for handles to augment my LEE dipper set. It's amazing how accurate they CAN be if you are consistent in using them. BTW, a .40 S&W case holds one of my most-used cast charges.............18.0 grs. IMR4227. Dippers are great for 'experiments': just always check with a reliable scale to ensure what charge you're really getting.

ghh3rd
04-04-2016, 10:36 PM
Sorry everyone - I checked and found that I had a .7 dipper that I didn't know I had - thought I only had three of the .5's. Apparently I had grabbed the 7cc dipper.

My .5 dipper does in fact scoop up 3.9 - 4.0 gr of Unique.

Thanks for all of the answers - this forum rocks, as usual.

Randy