PDA

View Full Version : Redhawk and Match Dot 2

RedHawk357Mag
04-02-2016, 03:49 PM
Kind of kicking the idea around of getting a Match Dot 2 for my Redhawk for better load testing and informal plinking in the backyard. Thinking of using a Weigland mounting base. The sight is 30mm but I am not sure which rings to choose. Since I don't have a whole lot of experience on pistol scope rings I looked at the Ruger site and see they have medium, high, and extra high. With a 42mm, 52mm, and 62 mm objective. By my thinking 42mm, or medium should get it done. Wondering if anyone has practical experience on mounting red dot tubes on Redhawks. Thanks.

NSB
04-02-2016, 04:25 PM
The UltraDot red dot sights come with rings. They fit on a Weaver or Pictinny base. All you hav to do is clamp the on.

RedHawk357Mag
04-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Saw that on the spec sheet. From reading some reviews I gathered that most folks were impressed on the sight tube not so much on the mount/rings. I guess I could check them out first before getting a after market ring.

44man
04-02-2016, 08:01 PM
I don't like the Match Dot. Testing had it move POI when changing pictures or dot. I prefer the straight 4 min one. The rings do work but I have three on my .500 JRH. They are a bargain however you look at them.
I do not think the MD will fit between Ruger rings, the turret is too long.
Weigand base is the way to go, great one.

RedHawk357Mag
04-03-2016, 10:51 AM
44man, I appreciate your contribution. If I could ask for a spot more information I would ask how much shift in POI did you experience in your use of the match dot? I understand that you shot at extreme distance from my perspective and a POI affects your shooting immensely more than I suspect will affect me. I am considering the red dot pretty much for load development and occasionally shooting at the very most of 150 yds. I expect that the most non load development shooting I would be doing would be a six inch gong at 50 to 75 yards. Not really a hunter but dispatch errant coyotes that come to close to the homestead. But that is done with EDC as that is always what is at hand. I am looking at a red dot sorta like Gerber tool, having the adjustable size dots, and different reticle choices, would give me wider latitude of choosing a sight configuration that meets different targets at my range. Since I have all the time that I need to reestablish zero should I have a shift, a slight shift is tolerable to me kinda like a Gerber tool screw driver is OK for certain jobs because you always have it handy. Trust me I know that Gerber tools are absolutely the worst possible screwdrivers, knives, bottle openers, and wire cutters. They come into their own when placed together and your toolbox is in the truck and across the section. My bottom line is I need a sight that I can with some degree of certainty, get repeatable, sight alignment and sight placement. I need it to be durable for mid level 44 magnum loads. Once I get my load development out of the way the red dot would be replaced by iron sights as the majority of my shooting is double action only. To have razor sharp focus on the front sight once again would be wonderful. Thanks for the response and have an awesome day.

TCFAN
04-03-2016, 11:24 AM
I have a Match Dot 2 on a S&W 686 and have not noticed any shift of POI in more than 4000 shots up to 50 yards shooting at bullseye slow fire targets.All my loads are very lite wadcutter loads. I use the very small dot for one hand bullseye targets.When I shoot steel or just plinking it is nice to be able to change to other size dots............Terry

NSB
04-03-2016, 11:59 AM
I had one on a Ruger SBH and it never shifted even with the heaviest handloads. I used the rings that came with it.

Lefty Red
04-03-2016, 03:28 PM
I had an Ultra Dot on my Red Hawk Hunter. And it never failed.

Jerry

RedHawk357Mag
04-03-2016, 04:30 PM
All good information. Much appreciated.

gray wolf
04-03-2016, 04:43 PM
I prefer the straight 4 min one at least the one that I got to try, and I shot plenty with it.

44 mag full house and target loads, never missed a lick.
Use decent rings and watch the spacing, not much room between the turrets.

Yes it's a 4 MOA dot, covers 4" at 100 yards, but it only covers 2" at 50 and about 1" at 25

I could hit clay birds at 150/160 yards off a good rest.

Cross hair scopes are nice but many folks find them difficult to hold on target free hand.

44man
04-05-2016, 09:34 AM
Match Dot might be OK. I found a picture and it was the Ultra Dot 6 that gave us problems.
So my mistake.165437 This one has different reticles that you change. Each time we popped a different picture it hit different. It might work if you choose just one picture and stay with it.

RedHawk357Mag
04-05-2016, 05:51 PM
Thanks for taking the time to gather the information. I think that should be just fine. I think it will be the cat's meow for load development. Much appreciated.