PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x25 Shooters Looking to see if there is any interest in a new load

reed1911
04-02-2016, 09:53 AM
As the title states, I'm playing around with offering a 130-140g HP in the 7.62x25. My question becomes, is there any interest out there for it? The initial test results look promising and we'd be running them 1100-1200FPS from the TT33/M57 and CZ-52. The idea being to reduce the over penetration effect while still taking advantage of the caliber's attributes. Let me know, I prefer open collaboration since it tends to develop much better products and often leads me down roads never considered.

dilly
04-02-2016, 10:01 AM
What's the diameter on those bullets? Could the same bullets be used in 327 FM?

Your post brings to mind the 32 sledgehammer that they have done by a couple group buys. I believe it was offered in HP configuration, but maybe it wouldn't feed in a semi auto. You might look into that thread just as food for thought.

leftiye
04-02-2016, 10:21 AM
My first reaction was that heavy (and I load 115 grs) boolits would probly run into problems with high speed and impact of/on the slide. Heavy boolits DON'T help over penetration, either.

reed1911
04-02-2016, 11:07 AM
@ Leftiye Yes, I agree, however with the deeper HP they tend to open more and slow down in medium quicker. To what degree, we'll just have to see. I tend to not always explain myself fully and only post the conclusion sometimes without the rest of the data. I prefer to R&D them in the order of; function, accuracy, velocity, terminal. That keeps me from falling into the trap of wanting the end result so much that time gets wasted on a dead end.

The recoil impulse so far appears to be fine, but obviously we are just in R&D mode now, good point though, thank you.

@dilly, The bullet as it is now is based on the Miha 140g/135 .32. So yes, it would be suitable for use in the .32 Fed and .32 H&R.

jrayborn
04-02-2016, 07:30 PM
I have been using 110 gr FMJ's in reformed .223 brass over a healthy dose of Power Pistol. Love it! I'd be interested in a heavier loading. What are you suggesting? A mold?

Outpost75
04-02-2016, 08:53 PM
With a bullet of that weight, how deep does the base intrude into the powder space? Generally I have not had favorable results with cast bullets which must be loaded with the base considerably below the neck-shoulder junction. In some conditions of loading the base can upset and wedge against the shoulder angle, causing a dangerous pressure spike. Some years ago Federal had problems with some 6.5x55 and .243 Win. ammunition which resulted in some blown up rifles.

Frankly, the idea of a 130+ grain bullet, if seated to a length to fit into the TT33 or CZ52 magazine, resulting in as much as a bullet diameter below the neck, kind of scares the heck out of me. I normally load the Accurate 31-087T in this caliber, and it is correctly proportioned for this cartridge, the .30 Mauser, .30 Luger and .32 ACP and works well.

If you had a 130+ grain bullet and seated its base to the neck-shoulder junction, overall cartridge length is going to exceed the length of the magazine box, particularly if the bullet profile is tapered enough to prevent the ogive from impinging against the origin of rifling.

Just what firearm are you planning on using this in, maybe a bolt rifle in 7.62x25? Or a single-shot? I can't see it being satisfactory in any standard autoloader...