PDA

View Full Version : Ideal #6 30-30w?

Remmy4477
04-02-2016, 09:13 AM
Bought this off fleebay
Been looking for a good flat base boolit for my old 30-30 and this looks like it should make the rifle happy!

I believe it is an Ideal #6 tool but not certain.
molds in good shape and the tool seems solid. Just need to find a set screw for the spruce cutter screw.

Other than wrapping the handles in leather or wearing gloves to cast with it. Is there any other hints or tips I should know about?

Remmy4477
04-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Cast a few rounds with it this morning. Not to bad. Loaded up a few rounds for the range this morning!

Bent Ramrod
04-02-2016, 08:25 PM
I think your expertise on using the moulds on these tools is right up there with anybody else's now:mrgreen:. I would advise avoiding extreme knocking on the sprue cutter or on the mould or hinges to get boolits out. Also, although it's tedious, when I cast with these tools or the similar integral handled moulds, I preheat by casting rather with than hot plates, torches, etc. On the tong tools (yes, yours is a #6) and the integral handled moulds, there is, if not a greater potential for warpage, at least a greater chance that any warpage will misalign or impede the mating of the halves of the cavities. Unlike the separate block moulds, there is no looseness to allow minor misalignments to fit back together all right.

Remmy4477
04-02-2016, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the info Bent Ramrod.
casted about 50 pieces with it this evening. I always use the cast to heat method and when a pause is needed I set it on the edge of the pot.
I use a small rubber mallet when casting. On this ideal the Sprue plate moves nice and seems sharp so little effort is required to cut.
Have not had to rap on it much, mainly during warm up, once at operating temp the boolits just fall out on there own. Seems to be casting fairly well. Just a bit slower than normal molds.
So far so good!165221

barrabruce
04-02-2016, 10:28 PM
looks like my 308241 150 gn pb.
Looks like you need some powder 20 cases and some primers and a dipper and away you go for 6 mths in the boonies.
Mind you ...you may have to line up your game with a tree so you can dig the boolit out and remelt it thou.
:killingpc always something.

Remmy4477
04-02-2016, 11:32 PM
I figure these should shoot well in a 111 year old Winchester 94.165234

04-03-2016, 09:54 AM
That 111 year old looks like a million bucks. Go have some fun.

bedbugbilly
04-03-2016, 07:41 PM
Remmy - how many grains are those boolits dropping at out of the Ideal tool? And could you give an overall length of the boolit? Just curious.

I can't think of a more appropriate tool to have with that good looking Winnie. That rifle and the Ideal tool go together like two peas in a pod!

Thanks!

Jim

Remmy4477
04-03-2016, 10:05 PM
Remmy - how many grains are those boolits dropping at out of the Ideal tool? And could you give an overall length of the boolit? Just curious.

I can't think of a more appropriate tool to have with that good looking Winnie. That rifle and the Ideal tool go together like two peas in a pod!

Thanks!

Jim

.867 in length and dropping at 150.2 grains on average. And .309 diameter.

We slugged the bore at .309 in her.

Interesting bullet design. If you seat it in it's crimp groove you will have one lube groove exposed for a total cartridge length of 2.498. Feeds fine in this ol gal.

This old Winchester seems to like them. Loaded them light with 20 grns of H4895. Using a homemade BP lube.
Not a paper puncher so we set up cans and plastic bottles from about ten yards out to fifty where we were at today. A few misses but lots of good hits!

I think with a little bit of tweaking these two will work well together!!

Remmy4477
04-03-2016, 10:13 PM
165327Dummy round and a cast boolit.

bedbugbilly
04-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Thanks a lot Remmy for taking the time to post that info - I really appreciate it!

Over the last 50 + years, I've had a number of 94s go through my hands but at the time, I was more interested in shooting Rifled Musket and full size Civil War artillery I recently picked up very late 94 to play with. I have a mold that throws a 117 gr. and one that throws a 170 ish grain but I'm still looking for one that throws a 150 ish grain. I haven't cast in either mold yet as I'm still in AZ but will be leaving for MI at the end of the month so am anxious to start playing with it all.

To me, there is nothing like a good "vintage" 94 and even better if it has some good honest wear to it. I have a lead on a very early one that I'm going to follow up on and see what it pans out to be.

There's nothing wrong with killing cans and bottles - with my eyesight, that's about all I'm lucky enough o hit! I'll bet the ol' girl felt good in your arms and I would imagine each shot put a big smile on your face - especially knowing that you cast and hand loaded the rounds the "old fashioned way".

Thanks again or the information - greatly appreciated!

Jim

Remmy4477
04-05-2016, 09:35 PM
Thanks a lot Remmy for taking the time to post that info - I really appreciate it!

Over the last 50 + years, I've had a number of 94s go through my hands but at the time, I was more interested in shooting Rifled Musket and full size Civil War artillery I recently picked up very late 94 to play with. I have a mold that throws a 117 gr. and one that throws a 170 ish grain but I'm still looking for one that throws a 150 ish grain. I haven't cast in either mold yet as I'm still in AZ but will be leaving for MI at the end of the month so am anxious to start playing with it all.

To me, there is nothing like a good "vintage" 94 and even better if it has some good honest wear to it. I have a lead on a very early one that I'm going to follow up on and see what it pans out to be.

There's nothing wrong with killing cans and bottles - with my eyesight, that's about all I'm lucky enough o hit! I'll bet the ol' girl felt good in your arms and I would imagine each shot put a big smile on your face - especially knowing that you cast and hand loaded the rounds the "old fashioned way".

Thanks again or the information - greatly appreciated!

Jim

Your welcome.
This old 94 has been in the family since 1920. My grandfather bought it as a kid growing up in Kansas. This rifle was used around the farm grandad grew up on. Putting down livestock when needed and many deer for the kitchen table.
Grandad carried it with him almost everywhere in those days.
Once grandad moved to Colorado (1940) this 94 was regulated to hunting, he took deer and elk, several mountain lions and a couple of bears with it. Probably more game than most rifles will ever see.

Grandad passed away in 1971, Dad used it from 72 to about 78 for hunting deer and elk. Both of those men knew how to use this rifle, one shot was all they needed.

Dads been gone 4 years now. I have yet to take it hunting, but am thinking of doing some coyote hunting and running it in a few matches they have out here.
Love this old 94 an her history!

Glad I could help with the info!
And yes I like black powder also!!

barrabruce
04-06-2016, 05:53 AM
Well thats humming along at @1500fps.
Not bad for a plain base load.

I use mine soft with @4 grns bullseye for @1000 fps.

the groove at the nose ahead of the crimp groove is a scraper grove.
They mostly phased that out after a while.

Good luck ,have fun and stay safe