PDA

View Full Version : Using seat die as form die

ohnomrbillk
04-02-2016, 07:33 AM
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you can use the disassembled seat die as a step in case forming.

Seems like they were cut to rifle chamber size. You could then move to the full length size die and finish the sizing.

Has as anyone tried this?

Any die brand that works better for this purpose?

Hickok
04-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Yes I have done it and it works fine. Used RCBS dies, but any good brand should work.

EDG
04-02-2016, 12:33 PM
I am not sure you could do this will all brands but RCBS work fine. Lee dies on have a short ring at the top of the neck so you might want to test a Lee die on a junk case.

flashhole
04-09-2016, 04:22 PM
You need a clearance at the top of the die that will not interfere with the case neck. Some will work, others won't.

salpal48
04-09-2016, 04:33 PM
Most Of the Older dies, herters Lyman, Pacific. and Other will work.. The new Cheap one will not. I think even some of the better Co. use a generic . . but I have used The Older seaters for forming

243winxb
04-09-2016, 04:42 PM
I was think RCBS trim die. There are hardened.

country gent
04-09-2016, 04:50 PM
The size dies work well one thing to watch for is you dont get into the crimp ring with the case mouth of the new case.I normally do this when reforming one case to another. Its a easier way to get shoulders set where they need to be and change angles. Its alaso less first round on case bodies and necks. Doing it this way is sort of like a rough size to get close then a finish size to be right. Use a good lube and heavy press. I have found on most forming using imperial sizing die wax the inital coating size thru seater and enough is left for the final size thru sizing die. Sometimes getting brass to flow to new shoulder angles or lengths can get tricky.