PDA

View Full Version : Keeping track of round count

Mauser48
04-01-2016, 07:09 PM
I have a 6 inch gp100 I bought last year new. I would like to keep track of how many rounds I fire through it just because. It would be cool in 40 years to know how many rounds I have shot through it. I have shot 230 rounds so far. Thats not too hard to keep track of because its not a lot. Those guys that know they have 75,000 rounds through their gun, what is your method of keeping track? Theres so many ways to do this but I would like to hear yours. If I shoot anymore rounds I'm going to forget how many. Thanks!

dubber123
04-01-2016, 09:15 PM
I used to keep the ends off the bricks of primers I bought. It was a lot easier when I was 16, and had only 1 center fire revolver. ; It's how I know my old model 10 got 35,000 rounds in not much more than a year. :)

Hick
04-01-2016, 11:39 PM
I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of which brass I reload, so that I can spread out the wear and tear and also know when I might expect case failures. I load the brass in batches of fifty. So-- my spreadsheet always has a count of how many times I have loaded each set of fifty-- that tells me my total rounds. (oh- yes-- and I don't buy factory rounds).

TCFAN
04-01-2016, 11:58 PM
On April 28 2015 I received a new S&W 686.I decided that I would keep a round count and see how many rounds I used in that revolver in one year.I keep a paper in the note book for that 686 and write down the number of rounds each time I shoot it.As of today I have 4280 rounds through it. I hope by the end of this month I will have 5000 rounds down range through that gun. All have been cast wad cutters or the Lee 140 gr. semi-wad cutter using Bullseye powder...........Terry

Mauser48
04-02-2016, 12:18 AM
Thanks guys. I will probably get a long book and every time I shoot it write down the date, how many rounds I fired that day, and the grand total up until them. TCFAN, thats just about the same time I got my gp100. I just recounted my brass and it turns out I have put 345 rounds through it. I loaded another 100 lswc's tonight.

Hick
04-02-2016, 01:44 AM
4280 Rounds? That number makes me feel a lot less guilty about how much reloading I'm doing. I'm only up to 1500 since December for my S&W Model 64

Lonegun1894
04-02-2016, 04:08 AM
I keep a notebook with data on how many rounds of what specific load I loaded, and then a second with a record of what gun I took to the range, how many rounds fired, and anything else interesting that I changed so I know what to change and what not to change with any of my specific guns. Now the handgun records are easy and very simple. By rifle records, especially for the heavy-barreled scoped bolt guns, well, they're a bit detailed, but the accuracy they give me is worth a little extra effort.

reddog81
04-02-2016, 10:08 AM
I use an excel spreadsheet, but I'm an accountant so what do you expect... It works great. I have a tab to keep track of all my guns - make, model, when purchased, cost, serial number, notes about condition, date manufactured, etc. on a seperate tab I keep track of round counts for each gun. I have 2 columns for each range visit to keep track of light loads vs magnum loads. I use comments to note what kind of loads were used and how they preformed.

I mi started using this method to keep track of round count last year and had to estimate an initial round count. I wish I would have started keeping track earlier.

rancher1913
04-02-2016, 12:29 PM
you guys are doing it all wrong, take a mechanical counter and epoxy it to the end of the barrel so that the arm gets hit by the boolit as it leaves the barrel. you will have an exact count---course you may not know which way the boolit will fly but you will have a good count.[smilie=2:

country gent
04-02-2016, 12:56 PM
On my match rifles the score books I kept during practice and matches had the data for round count in them I added a heavy paper sheet with column for date place # of rounds fired and running tally of count just inside the cover. On others I keep a simple note book with them for zeros and round count

truckerdave397
04-02-2016, 01:11 PM
I guess I have been doing this wrong for years. I just shoot mine and do not worry about it.

SSGOldfart
04-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Just a simple log book does the trick,you might want to look at Lyman's reloading log book,it has a place for gun information as well as the loads.