PDA

View Full Version : PEWTER Pics with Weights

William Yanda
04-01-2016, 01:49 PM
I have followed the Pewter hallmark thread and found it invaluable for the knowledge available there. In my search for pewter, knowing what was and was not was only part of the equation. Knowing the weight is essential to being able to evaluate the value. I am posting some pics with weights thanks to the friendly folks at the 14808, Atlanta, NY Post Office.
Re: Picture 1, Paper weight-2.8 ozs., vase and dish-5.4,5.4 vase weighted, candlesticks-6.2,6.4 far right both 6.9 ozs.
Picture 2 r-l, back row 7.9, 9 and 10.2 front row 11.2 and 12.3, tankards in back row are glass bottomed, front row all pewter
Picture 3 11 inch platter-1 lb., 10 inch pitcher-1.b, 3.9 ozs, 8 inch dish 10.3 ozs, 8 inch plaque-12.5 ozs.
Picture 4-ingots from Potter mold as offered here previously. All from the same pot, the only explanation for the difference in color is ingots from warm mold are more silvery with less of the gold tint.
Hope others find this helpful.
Regards
Bill

imashooter2
04-01-2016, 03:22 PM
I've suggested in the past that pewter scavengers should "train their hand." That is, find items in your home pick them up and estimate then weigh them to see how close you are. In short order you will be getting pretty close. Then weigh something you have with you all the time for use as a reference. Your key ring, your phone, your wallet, some combination thereof. A half a pound reference will give you all you need to make most pricing calls in the wild.