PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP and Taurus TCP trigger issues

Shuz
04-01-2016, 12:45 PM
Folks--I have a Ruger LCP, that I bought new, and a used Taurus TCP, that seem to me to have "trigger issues". By this I mean that I have to pull the trigger on each, way back until the trigger nearly reaches the back of the trigger guard before the gun fires. Also, it feels as tho as I'm pulling back on the trigger, it gets harder and harder to pull. Is this a situation that will clear up after enuf rounds are fired to "break things in", or is this something that just exists with some models?
What I find interesting, is that I have another Taurus TCP, that I bought new, that has had nothing done to it to improve it's function, and it performs as I would expect of the other two!!! I have only fired 100 rounds or so out of the good functioning Taurus, and prolly 200 rounds outta the LCP and only 20 rounds outta the new to me "used" TCP.
Any info on this problem or experience of others with these models would be appreciated.

reddog81
04-01-2016, 12:54 PM
I think that is a typical problem with the LCP. They have introduced a newer model that LCPS that supposedly has a better trigger.
I have shot a LCP and was surprised at how long and heavy the trigger pull was. It was like shooting a double action revolver, but not as smooth.

rintinglen
04-01-2016, 02:35 PM
The long trigger pull is the safety on these guns.

My on little LCP is pretty bad at this, but so is my Kahr CW-9, and I shoot it well. However, I have a few decades of DA revolver shooting experience (Some of which I would gladly trade for a few years of youth) and find it no problem to hit what I aim at at ranges of 50 feet or less. Beyond that, things get questionable, but at fifty meters, an FBI Smurf target still shows some holes reasonably close to point of aim.

Outpost75
04-01-2016, 03:48 PM
I have a recent production, standard model LCP and I find the DA-only trigger pull on it feels just like my well worn Colt Detective Special, which is an old and trusted friend. For an old wheelgun guy it is like being introduced to the cute new baby in the family.

C. Latch
04-01-2016, 03:55 PM
My LC9 has that same long, spongy trigger, and I'd buy one of the upgrade kits but I keep reading mixed reviews on them.

DerekP Houston
04-01-2016, 04:03 PM
That trigger pull is why I don't own one. The LC9s is a much improved version.

dkf
04-01-2016, 07:52 PM
It depends on when you LCP was made. My LCP is an older model with the dash in the SN, it has the long pull that releases at the back of the trigger guard. My dad has the newer stainless version and his trigger pull is shorter and a little lighter. Plus his "sights" are slightly larger. I've gotten used to the trigger on my LCP and actually prefer it because I know when it is going to break and it does give a little more sense of security when pocket carrying it.

kidmma
04-02-2016, 11:41 PM
I have an LCP purchased in late December which has a good trigger pull like Outpost and dkf describe. I put a dash of paint on the front site and that helps a lot too. these later versions are slightly more friendly to me.

FergusonTO35
04-03-2016, 01:00 PM
I wish my Kel Tec P32 would break at the back of the pull like my revolvers do. That thing has at least 1/4" overtravel after the trigger breaks, which always pulls me off target.

GONRA
04-04-2016, 05:15 PM
GONRA's son hasa LCP. Trigger pull / sights made me question if I'd want to get one.
(Olde hands, Olde eyes.)

Tried the new LCP CUSTOM at LGS . Sights lined up OK. Trigger pull - No Problem.
Digests my really blunt bullet profile handoads too. Perfect functioning!
LCP Custom is a really fine little pistol!

FergusonTO35
04-04-2016, 08:56 PM
Do you find the custom's sights snag on anything when carried? They look awfully tall to me.

buckwheatpaul
04-05-2016, 08:09 AM
That trigger pull is why I don't own one. The LC9s is a much improved version.

The Ruger LC9ProS is fantastic....set up for police with great crisp trigger and no magazine safety.....a word of caution....like a Glock it must be carried in a holster.....

DerekP Houston
04-05-2016, 08:14 AM
The Ruger LC9ProS is fantastic....set up for police with great crisp trigger and no magazine safety.....a word of caution....like a Glock it must be carried in a holster.....

Yep, I keep it IWB in a crossbreed supertuck =). Thanks for the reminder though. I honestly wasn't even going to look at ruger until the owner had me try the new version.

Tar Heel
04-05-2016, 10:34 AM
There is no trigger "problem". That's the way the gun is designed. DAO triggers have a longer pull. Trade it in if it bugs ya and get a striker fired handgun.

Schrag4
04-05-2016, 01:10 PM
My wife recently bought the plain LCP (not the Custom). The trigger on hers is long and heavy, but it's smooth, very smooth actually. I dry fired the Custom model they had at the local Cabelas recently, and I couldn't believe how horrible the trigger felt in comparison. Maybe my wife just got one of the good ones. ETA - maybe the Custom at the store was just a lemon, too.

FYI, in a tiny pocket pistol, which is only meant to be used within a few yards, you neither need nor want a short, light trigger. Heavy and long is good. It's not a target pistol, with its tiny sight radius and complete inability to soak up any recoil. I find I can hit headshots quite quickly and easily at 5 yards (have yet to miss one), and that's more than adequate in my book for a pistol like this.

Schrag4
04-05-2016, 01:13 PM
I should add, I dry fired the LC9s while I was there, too. Man, that felt sweet! I just might have to pick one up some day. I wouldn't advocate for carrying even an LCP with its long, heavy trigger without a (pocket) holster, but yeah, the LC9s definitely needs a quality holster to cover the trigger.