PDA

View Full Version : Lyman handles tight

avogunner
04-01-2016, 08:48 AM
I've picked up a couple of older Lyman molds (w/handles) recently and both pair are rather stiff to open/close. I've got Kroil in the hinges now to soak but does anyone have other suggestions?
Thanks

TCFAN
04-01-2016, 12:29 PM
There was a thread years ago by Floodgate that told how to tighten or loosen a pair of Lyman handles. I don't remember exactly but it said to put the hinge pivot on a hard surface and hit it with a hammer. One side tighten them up and the other side would make them loose or more easier to open. I tried it on a couple of handles that were very hard to open and it worked like a charm.It has been to long since I read that thread and I don't remember which side you hit to make the easier to open.

Beagle333
04-01-2016, 12:37 PM
I have a tight pair too. I figured I'd just oil em up good and cast with em til they loosened up.

2 years later, they don't seem to be loosening any at all. :sad:

edit: I just went and looked it up. Floodgate's advice was: "Open your vise enough to fit the head between the jaws. Don't clamp the head, just lay it in between, with a little clearance to spare. Now tap on the top of the hinge with a hammer and drift. Don't overdo it, tap and try, tap and try"

I'll have to test that out.

TCFAN
04-01-2016, 01:04 PM
Beagle333 can you post a link to where you found Floodgate's post? I have had no luck finding it..............Terry

Beagle333
04-01-2016, 01:13 PM
I didn't find his post, but I did find where one of the mods had quoted a fellow that had quoted his post. (post #4)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?161814-Lyman-mold-handles

Hardcast416taylor
04-01-2016, 01:13 PM
I read somewhere that the hinge on the old Lyman handles actually are like a rivet. One side is the flared side with the opposite being the rivet head, not to hard to figure out which side to give a smart hit on to either loosen or tighten. Kroil will make a difference I`m sure.Robert

TCFAN
04-01-2016, 02:00 PM
Thanks Beagle333. Sure would like to find the original post by Floodgate. Had it at one time but lost it......Terry

country gent
04-01-2016, 03:50 PM
The lyman handle uses a rivet type pin in the handles, simple quick and easy to adjust to loosen the tension set the lower head in a socket or vise so there is no support for it socket or pipe nipple works better than the vise since they support around the whole head. With a medium sized Ball peen hammer 12-16 ounces tap on the upper head centered testing often 3-4 taps and test. This allows the upper heads shoulder to be pushed back creating less tension. To tighten set the lower head on a very solid surface and tap with the same hammer 3-4 times testing to see where you are at. Supporting the lower head gives no where to move and compresses the head pin making it tighter. Once set some lube in the joint helps to maintain its life. I use 2 cycle motor oil or other high temp oil for this. I also lube the screw pivots where the blocks mount. Another little thing that makes a mould run smoother and easier is to shim the blocks to the handles leaving only .003 - .005 clearence between the 2. This helps to maintain the pins alighnment closing the mould back up. It does leave enough wiggle for the blocks to swivel and alighn easily too. I shim moulds to blocks on dedicated handles. The hinge pin properly adjusted to allow free movement and well lubed helps alot to reduce fatigue and your cycle time

country gent
04-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Also befre Adjusting the pins clean flush the hinge good with solvent. It may just be dirt or wax build up making them stiff. Clean them good first or you may end up with sloppy handles when the crud works out.

gwpercle
04-01-2016, 04:58 PM
Also befre Adjusting the pins clean flush the hinge good with solvent. It may just be dirt or wax build up making them stiff. Clean them good first or you may end up with sloppy handles when the crud works out.

Mix up equal parts ATF and acetone , this would be good for cleaning those hinges. Actually this mix is a super penetrating oil, saw a penetrating oil test done on breaking rusty nuts and bolts, with different products and it came out #1 , and it even beat out Kroil , Liquid Wrench and WD40.

avogunner
04-02-2016, 08:28 PM
Well, the kroil and tapping worked. Just a few light taps on the hinge after soaking and now the handles fall open. Thanks Gents!
Semper Fi.