PDA

View Full Version : What brand bullet is this from?

quack1
04-01-2016, 08:21 AM
Found this when scrounging lead from the berm at the range. Couldn't find the lead core that went with it. Never came across one of these before. Looks like it would really tear up whatever it hit.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll300/1quack1/IMG_0072.jpg

bdicki
04-01-2016, 08:26 AM
Winchester Black Talon, since discontinued. Or Ranger SXT.

runfiverun
04-01-2016, 09:02 AM
take some pliers and fold everything back over.
you should be able to identify it better once it's in shape.
it looks like an open bottom jacket too, which suggests it's designed to separate the core and jacket at some point.

jcren
04-01-2016, 11:38 AM
I have some Remington golden saber that peal back and separate just like that.

scattershot
04-01-2016, 11:45 AM
I Think bedicki nailed it. If there are traces of black oxide,,it's a Black Talon. If not, it's more than likely an SXT. (Same Exact Thing), both by Winchester.

cattleskinner
04-01-2016, 05:02 PM
See if there is rifling on the jacket. I used saboted Winchester Platinum Tips out of a muzzleloader and they peeled back exactly like that as well.

w5pv
04-01-2016, 05:27 PM
That looks awesome,could it be used for a self defence round also?

Mytmousemalibu
04-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Winchester Ranger T-Series or much less likely as mentioned, Black Talon. The Ranger T-Series is the same bullet without the "Public Enemy" name.
They are actually a good performing bullet from all the testing I have seen. I have never seen them in-stores, just online otherwise I'd probably buy a few boxes. I carry the new Lehigh XD loads in my guns which replaced the Fed HST's I had in the guns. I would be just as happy with the Win Ranger T-Series over the HST but the HST is on shelves. Notice the are called a T-Series? Coincidence? T as in Talon? Hmm.

I'd like to have a box of Black Talon's just as a historical thing. Winchester dropped them over public outcry but you can still find them floating around. Almost the same and equally stupid scenario that was the Cobray Streetsweeper shotgun. Pretty crappy shotgun in reality but because of the name Streetsweeper and the public outcry, the ATF reclassified the guns a destructive device. The equally ridiculous Cobray, Ladies Home Companion was the exact same design and action but as a 45-70 pistol. It was never bothered because of the innocuous sounding name. The rules the alphabet agencies play by are straight out of the Hypocrites Guide to Elitism & Subterfuge.

varmintpopper
04-01-2016, 06:35 PM

Good Shooting

Lindy

quack1
04-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. When I first saw it, I thought black talon, but since there was no trace of black oxide in the rifling, thought it might be something else. Since I rarely shoot jacketed bullets, I didn't know there was a replacement for them.

jonp
04-02-2016, 08:44 PM
Looks kinda like a Triton Hi-Vel to me.