PDA

View Full Version : Almost gave up on PC today

lablover
03-31-2016, 09:41 PM
So, I did a small batch of newly cast boolits and after they cooled I went to size them. A few had some chips show up in the PC on the driving bands. I was so pissed!

Anywho, did some reading here and started to wonder if my Temp in the little oven was off...Yup, by about 25 deg. I have to think that was causing the chipping on the driving bands.

So, a few questions:

If one coats at the correct temp and after the boolits cool. Should you be able to chip or remove the PC with say 2 sets of players grinding with the teeth?

After I got frustrated I figured this new caster would try Pan Lubing...MAN, what a train wreck that was. I guess I want to know my boolits will be clean in my pistols and not cause any leading.

Yes, I'm the Anal overly paranoid type. :bigsmyl2:
Now, if this all works out I need to read up and find a way to do bunches at once..30-40 at a time aint gonna cut it. My Wife likes to shoot just as much as I do.....and yes, Pink Boolits are in the works

Joe

Artful
03-31-2016, 10:30 PM
Have you done a smash/Hammer Test?

bangerjim
03-31-2016, 10:37 PM
If your boolits are clean and grease-free, and your temp it 400F and you cure them for 10 min after the powder turns shiny, then you can smash them into a small cube and absolutely no PC should "flake" off. That is the hammer test we have established on here.

There is not "jaws of death" plier test!!!!!!! Forget that one. And no acetone wipe test either!

Just do the hammer test to see if your PC is cured properly.

I have coated and cured thousands of those little raskles with absolutely no problems. They shoot with absolutely NO leading or grease smoke. Follow our directions and you will get perfectly good boolits.

bangerjim

lablover
04-01-2016, 06:20 AM
Hammer test passed with flying colors...Hope to get some range time this weekend

Jaws of Death Test...LMAO!!!!!

gpidaho
04-01-2016, 07:01 AM
Just have to say one more time guys PC is the most over thought over worried about process in the Boolit world. It truly couldn't be more simple. Just follow the few basic rules that have been shared here, do your hammer test and go shoot. Even when they don't look beautiful like some of the more accomplished coaters produce they will shoot just fine if they pass the hammer test. It's pretty hard to mess this up guys. Good shooting. Gp

Walter Laich
04-01-2016, 10:39 AM
My biggest concern is what color powder to use. Other than that it's a piece of cake.

as said a few times before, "There are many paths to the same destination." Take some ideas for each person and develop you own method and practice, practice, practice.

flyingmonkey35
04-01-2016, 10:48 AM
Bit of advice over- cooking your Boolits will not hurt the powder coat.

If you have a wonky oven from cold boolit to done set your timer for 30 minutes. Walk away.

I once forgot and my booolits baked for 2 hours no damage to them at all.

ryokox3
04-01-2016, 11:07 AM
I once forgot and my booolits baked for 2 hours no damage to them at all.

This is why I always set the timer on my toaster oven. No matter what happens it will shut itself off after not too long.

flyingmonkey35
04-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Ya mines a el cheepo. The timer is just that. Didn't turn it off.

OS OK
04-01-2016, 11:26 AM
My biggest concern is what color powder to use. Other than that it's a piece of cake.

as said a few times before, "There are many paths to the same destination." Take some ideas for each person and develop you own method and practice, practice, practice.

Funny you should say that Walt…
The wife and I once asked a toothless old timer up in Arkansas directions…he replied…"you caint get thar frum here!"

To the OP​…My oven was off by -125 degrees….'Chineeeese-piece-O-junk!'
If you suspect your boolits are not cured…re-cycle them…they will leave a nasty 'thin' grey in the barrel that will frustrate the most patient man in cleaning!

lablover
04-01-2016, 01:04 PM
Funny you should say that Walt…
The wife and I once asked a toothless old timer up in Arkansas directions…he replied…"you caint get thar frum here!"

To the OP​…My oven was off by -125 degrees….'Chineeeese-piece-O-junk!'
If you suspect your boolits are not cured…re-cycle them…they will leave a nasty 'thin' grey in the barrel that will frustrate the most patient man in cleaning!

So is it ok to toss them back into the smelting pot?

OS OK
04-01-2016, 01:07 PM

Smelting pot…yes, no problems at all. The PC will turn to ash. Pour or Ladle pot…no. Well…yes and no…I just prefer to keep the pouring pot free of all the debris as I can…I'm OCD that way.

OS OK

bangerjim
04-01-2016, 01:21 PM
I end with mabe 0.2% or less of rejects after PC and sizing. And they go right into the cold casting pot for the next heat-up. The stuff is so light it floats on top and never goes down in like saw dust does. I just skim it off as the surface turns liquid and then add a pea-sized piece of beeswax to get a mirror-like silver surface!

banger

OS OK
04-01-2016, 01:54 PM
I end with mabe 0.2% or less of rejects after PC and sizing. And they go right into the cold casting pot for the next heat-up. The stuff is so light it floats on top and never goes down in like saw dust does. I just skim it off as the surface turns liquid and then add a pea-sized piece of beeswax to get a mirror-like silver surface!

banger

"After seeing all your pictures of PC'd boolits…I imagine that the ones you toss are better than anything I get real proud of!"...:bigsmyl2:

DerekP Houston
04-01-2016, 02:02 PM

I do it all the time, I've melted an entire batch of hi-tek coated boolits cause I didn't get them cured properly. I'd rather recast them then spend the evening scrubbing lead of of my barrel. Keep a jar for "rejects" and just toss them in your next big smelt batch. They will leave deposits/crud though so I wouldn't put it in your bottom pour casting pot.