PDA

View Full Version : Lack of proof marks?

BPJONES
03-31-2016, 04:00 PM
Hey everyone, I just picked up a low end Spanish muzzleloader cause the price wasn't too bad and it looks like it has seen very little use if any. But I am surprised by the lack of marks or identifying maker's mark. It is a Kentucky style rifle. All that is on the top of the barrel is Made In Spain 45 caliber and a serial number. There is also what looks like a crest with a non capital letter "m" in it. I removed the barrel and on the bottom all there is is the number 34 and 2 with the same matching numbers on the breech plug. That's it. No proof marks which kind of surprises me and no date code. Also I can find no reference of any kind to that letter "m" as far as a maker goes. Anyone have any idea to this mark or why there wouldn't be any proof marks or date code. Wasn't it Spanish law to show proof marks? I'm guessing the gun is from the 70's-80's.

mooman76
03-31-2016, 05:37 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I do believe you are right about proof marks in Spain. There could be a couple reasons why there are none. Mine on my gun are stamped very lightly and could easily be sanded off on purpose or accidently when finishing. Another is some importers, imported the barrels without the breech plug in place so there would be no proof marks and the US does not require them for MLs. I have a number of MLs, mostly from Spain and most do not have proof marks.

BPJONES
03-31-2016, 07:22 PM
Actually the barrels being imported without the breech plugs makes sense and is quite likely the reason.

Edit--after typing the above I remembered what I wrote in my first post, that being the barrel is stamped on the bottom, right on the end where the breech plug screws in with the number 34 and the number 2 above the 34. These same numbers are stamped on the breech plug right in line with the numbers on the barrel. There is also the number 34 stamped into the barrel channel of the stock so it would appear that in this case all the components left the factory at the same time as a matched set.

sixshootertexan
03-31-2016, 11:11 PM
My F.I.E. 1858 revolver has 34 stamped on the barrel, frame and wood grips. I just assumed it was an assemble number. Maybe it's a number representing the importer. It does have the Italian proof marks and a date of 1970.