PDA

View Full Version : Boolit design for PC...

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-31-2016, 03:55 PM
It does appear that PC can replace lube in most applications for our beloved cast boolits.

1. Do you all think it worth while to order new molds with very shallow grooves?

2. And perhaps send current ones somewhere to have them bored to cut the groove depth?

thanks to all,

Rich

runfiverun
03-31-2016, 04:00 PM
Rich.
the powder coat does not change the fact that your boolit has to fit the throat of the rifle or revolver.
if you could lay a smooth even coat of .002 on the boolits surface then adjusting the molds to be coated would be a fine idea.
but since they are just a bit off on their thickness I'd work on the sizing part of things.
the body and the nose, and not worry so much about the lube groove stuff.

OS OK
03-31-2016, 04:02 PM
Shoot a tumble lube model that has been PC'd…is that what your after? More contact with the lands?

OS OK

popper
03-31-2016, 04:21 PM
Like R5R says, biggest problem is the nose and chambering. Results with T/L designs don't appear to be great. Try what you have and see how it works.

Smoke4320
03-31-2016, 04:29 PM
As long as they shoot good now I would leave them alone. You cut down your resale market

bangerjim
03-31-2016, 06:31 PM
As said.......as long as the boolits are sized specifically for your barrel bores, it makes no difference.

I cast, PC, and shoot NLG, microgroove and standard groove boolits - - - ALL NOSE DESIGNS - - -all with excellent success. There is no need to order special molds. Or totally ruin the ones you now own! I bought a couple, just to play around and found it is just a waste of $$.

PC the boolits you now have. You will be happy.

banger

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-03-2016, 07:39 PM
thank you all, gentlemen...

fredj338
04-06-2016, 02:52 PM
It does appear that PC can replace lube in most applications for our beloved cast boolits.

1. Do you all think it worth while to order new molds with very shallow grooves?

2. And perhaps send current ones somewhere to have them bored to cut the groove depth?

thanks to all,

Rich
1. No, any bullet mold works fine, I see no benefit in grooves or no grooves.
2. Why, you final dia is going to be determined as much by alloy & temp + add the coating.
I size all my bullet anyway, so I control final dia that way.