PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic cleaning gun parts?

ksfowler166
03-30-2016, 04:40 PM
I am looking at buying an ultrasonic cleaner, in part to clean brass but also to clean gun parts. I have done some research on the subject and have found little information as well as conflicting information. The one point of contention that bothers me the most is that some claim that every piece of the gun has to be disassembled otherwise the parts will peen/wear out faster. I kind of find this hard to believe since many gunsmiths use us cleaners to clean both clients' and their personal gun by field stripping and putting the gun in the us. I would imagine that there would some reports coming out of the gunsmithing community along with them discontinuing using ultrasonic cleaners if they actually damaged gun parts. Besides it is not like anyone is cleaning the gun after every time out in an us. I imagine it is more of a once in a great while sort of thing.

I know that I shouldn't clean nickel in an us cleaner since the nickel can get separated from the copper plating but what about blued or parkerized parts? I read that it is the cleaner that determines what is safe to clean in an ultrasonic and that makes sense. So what solutions would be safe to use with what type metal/plastic/coating?

daboone
03-30-2016, 06:05 PM
Ultrasonic frequencies range from 20-25 kHz for coarse cleaning and heavy material break up and removal, and about 40-48 KHz is used for fine detail cleaning, like jewelry, and 60-70 kHz is used for surface cleaning.
From my reading 36 to 40 kHz are used for most gun parts cleaning. I have a I42 kHz 3 transducer unit and it is amazing what a great job it does on handguns, parts, dies, tools, etc. Even what appears to be a clean part after a 10 minute heated bath turns the solution murky.
Brass cleaning is good but the number of cases cleaned per bath compared to a tumbler makes it a poor choice for brass.
I use a lab grade powder cleaner Alconox. But Dawn does a fine job too.

Mk42gunner
03-30-2016, 11:06 PM
The last time I was around any ultra sonic cleaners trying to clean guns was in the late 90's when we had a couple of them demoed for the 31st NCR at Port Hueneme. The consensus was that while they might do a decent job, it took forever. Not something we were interested in when we could have anywhere from a Company to a full Battalion all trying to clean their weapon at one time.

I do hate cleaning guns, but I also hate wasting time and money. If you have the time to wait around, and the money to spare, it may work.

Robert

Mica_Hiebert
03-30-2016, 11:13 PM
I have a cheap harbor freight I use for cleaning stuff you would have to scrub to no end like the carbon ring from shooting 38s in a 357 and some things that are just a pain to tear down. Use with caution tho I cleaned my 22/45 in the bath and ruined my fiber optic sight (it got all bleached out) and took the red inlay out of the ruger dragon medalions.

gspgundog
03-31-2016, 02:36 AM
I saw an article suggesting ultra sonic cleaning of suppressors. Any one have experience

Geezer in NH
04-01-2016, 07:49 PM
For 20 years I used a custom ultrasound to clean fire arms. I had one a full sized 1919 machine gun went into.

Found the small desk or bench top was sweet. the big one no big deal unless you want to spend $ for the 1 time use of corrosive ammo.

The small desk top is great I use water and put the parts I want to clean in a small plastic container with the solvent. That saves hours of brushing and whatever to make the parts Clean.

ksfowler166
04-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Lots of info is available about that subject.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/05/29/dirty-dirty-22-suppressors/
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=82836&page=2
http://blog.silencershop.com/sonic-cleaners-suppressors/
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/377774_What_solution_for_an_Ultrasonic_cleaner_in_ cleaning_a_suppressor_.html

Just remember certain chemicals can harm certain metals so be careful i.e. Simple Green is not safe to use on aluminum.