PDA

View Full Version : NEI Mold Prep great product

bhp9
05-06-2008, 07:21 PM
A product I have used for years is NEI Mold Prep. It is a black liquid that is a combination of alcohol and I believe Moly or perhaps graphite.

You simply paint it on with a cue tip and the alcohol evaporates off very quickly leaving a black coating on the metal parts you put it on.

I use this to lube the bottom of the spruce plate and the top of the mold and the mold alignment pins. I also use it on top of the sprue plate and the sprue holes as well.

This product will help keep the hot lead from sticking to the underside of the sprue plate and the top of the mold. But if you severely over heat your mold even the Mold prep will not keep all the lead from sticking to it.

Mold prep is not recommended for using on the Mold blocks because you will clog up the vent lines on the blocks.

I have used other things like a pencil to coat the sprue plate but the Mold prep is easier, faster and better to use. A little goes a long way as I have been using the last bottle I bought for at least 10 years and I cast a lot.

Blammer
05-06-2008, 09:04 PM
I have some from recently and it still works great!