PDA

View Full Version : Help

Preacher Jim
03-30-2016, 08:02 AM
many of you are not comfortable writing a prayer but you adding an amen or the word praying adds power to the prayers here and let's the person asking for prayer know you care and are praying for them. I comforts them to know you stand with them in their time of need. In my first church I asked an old saint to dismiss us in prayer, he did not pray out loud, he simply said, amen and everybody shook hands and left the building. Great prayer one of the members told him

Pine Baron
03-30-2016, 08:13 AM
But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. Mathew 6:6

square butte
03-30-2016, 08:14 AM
I am one of those folks. Sometime I feel my best prayers are said in the middle of the night - But also always admired the ability that some have to speak a beautiful prayer at the drop of the hat.

Teddy (punchie)
03-30-2016, 08:31 AM
But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. Mathew 6:6

That is about right. Few kind words of comfort and place it in gods hands.

Teddy (punchie)
03-30-2016, 08:34 AM
well Amen is a ending , or showing agreement .

jcren
03-30-2016, 08:46 AM
I lack the eloquence of some of our members and did not post anything on prayer request for some time, just said a little something between me and Him and figured it was good. One day by accident I stumbled across a comment by a member here that his wife had had her feelings deeply hurt by our lack of response to a prayer request for her health. I clearly remembered praying for her, but she never knew. Show our friends we are here.

Hickok
03-30-2016, 09:16 AM
Firm affirmation, verily, truly, so may it be, in agreement, Amen!

Boaz
03-30-2016, 10:07 AM
Amen is a big word that means different things at different times .

The dictionary says;
It is so; so be it ,used after a prayer, creed, or other formal statement to express solemn ratification or agreement.

Amen is a good word !

tnaz
03-30-2016, 02:01 PM
I'm one that finds it hard to put words down, but I ask of our Father.
and for me Amen; that's that. That's all that needs saying.

Here lately I get much more from this part of the forum than the reloading; thanks gentlemen.

Blackwater
03-30-2016, 03:35 PM
Pine Baron has it. I think we've all known our share of folks who could pray the most flowery prayer in Church on Sunday, but were rascals the rest of the week. Some really DO go to church for the show, like the rich man in the story of the widow with the 2 mites. And when some of us pray, it's so personal and so intense that we know darn well that it looks "strange" to many in the congregation. It seems so many, even in church, and even many who are real believers AND followers, have come to expect "the average" or "the usual" when one prays. I've seldom been average or usual in my life, so I guess I'm a little self conscious when praying aloud, but .... I'm overcoming that. Prayer is just a little talk with God, and it's about the most intense and personal and revealing thing we mortals can do. And I like to do mine alone, just as Pine Barron's quote from Matthew says. I just open up my heart and pour it out and say what's on my mind to say, and I try to keep it as simple and straightforward as I know how to make it. I think our Lord has a dim view of pretentiousness, but there's an awful lot of it in our modern lives, and it can't help but carry over into church and our prayers sometimes. That's just my view, based on what I've noted in my time, and I have no problem with anyone who sees it diffferently.

Any time we handle something powerful, like a gun, nuclear weapons or prayer, we need to handle it carefully and with great circumspection. And we'd better be really serious about our intentions and purposes in it, too. I usually take a second or three to adjust my mind and attitude for it before I jump into the water. Our attitudes through much of our days seems to be a bit less than suitable for earnest prayer, but that's just me. Prayer, it seems to me, should just flow like water from a spring, with as little preparation and decoration as possible. Like Joe Friday used to say, "Just the facts, ma'am." But there are all sorts of views, and I understand those who want to send the best sounding renditions possible to the Lord, and I have no problem with that, for as I said, it's just a very personal process and act, and we all have our individual peculiarities that make us individuals. If we heeded them more, we'd probably be happier and more satisfied, I think?

In the end, it's just something we believers do that can vary widely and sound quite different from individual to individual, and in point of fact, I rather enjoy those who pray differently from the way I do. I think there's probably a reason we all do it slightly to widely differently than others, and it's probably to teach us that what's REALLY important is that we DO it, and HOW we do it really isn't nearly as consequential as we sometimes might think.

And experiments have been conducted to show that there really IS some significant changes in the brain when we pray. So even science has come to recognize and quantify the very real value and power of prayer. Now ain't that just sumthin'!

Boaz
03-30-2016, 04:03 PM
A topic on prayer would be interesting and possibly beneficial to many including me . There is no one way .

w5pv
03-30-2016, 05:30 PM
I try to pray several times a day giving thanks for the little things that god has given us,most of the time it just like a conversation between God and myself.I guess if some ones else heard me they would say I hope that old man doesn't start answering himself.