PDA

View Full Version : Getting Acquainted With My New .38 Super

Ricochet
03-29-2016, 04:48 PM
This is Miss Nicole, my slightly late Christmas present to myself. Since I was a youngster I've admired and hankered for a .38 Super, and always thought bright nickel 1911s were mighty pretty. Ended up getting a blue .45 40 years ago. Rock Island Armory still offers the .38 Super in nickel, but for quite some time Google couldn't find a new one available for sale anywhere, so when this one turned up I grabbed it. Put on these phony abalone grips, I like the look. Haven't bought or fired a factory cartridge. Got some .38 Super Comp brass from Starline and loaded some of my as-cast TL-356-125-TCs that I had on hand and have had very good service with in 9mm Luger. To my chagrin, they just don't work at their .358-.359" diameter. "Plunk" fitting isn't possible. Letting the slide push the cartridge into battery will seat them as long as the OAL is 1.28" or less. The shoulder of the bullet touches the leade slightly beyond that. Extracting a cartridge slam-fitted that way shows that the bullet has been shaved down to .355" by the headspacing shoulder at the end of the chamber. And the groove diameter of the bore turns out to be .3505"! The barrel is plated inside and out with what appears to be matte nickel. It could be hard chrome. It had already been made with normal bore and chamber dimensions and then plated, making for a very tight bore and chamber. I got a Lee sizing kit for .356" and also a die for their 358-125-RF bullet, which I've seen highly recommended. Those bullets sized to .356" fit nicely and will "plunk" even though they're .001" larger than I'd measured on the force-fitted .358" tumble lube bullets. They shoot well when grease lubed. I encountered a big problem right away with the tumble lubed bullets, both of the TL, TC style. I've been used to coating them pretty heavily with Alox and leaving them that way. I do encounter problems with Alox buildup in seating dies but never had a problem shooting them until now. The tight, sharp shoulder at the end of the chamber scrapes the Alox off of the bullet nose and clogs it between the case mouth and chamber shoulder, preventing the slide from going into battery! The greased bullets don't have this problem, and I expect that wiping the Alox off of the bullet noses will solve it as well. I'm using a load of my lot of WC820 that's just a bit slower than Accurate #9. It is rather compressed, burns cleanly, shows no sign of high pressure, and gives a muzzle velocity right at 1300 FPS. The cases were getting flung quite far, so I thought I'd try a stouter recoil spring. I had a Wolf 18 1/2 pounder lying around. I thought it might be too stiff, but I tried it and it works well. The cases still eject with alacrity, but only about 20 feet behind and to the right. The momentum of a 125 grain bullet at 1300 FPS is 82% of that of a 230 grain at 850 FPS and just about the same as a typical .45 200 grain target load, and the heavier powder charge I'm using in the Super adds to the recoil. It definitely doesn't need a lighter spring than the standard .45 one. I'm going to have a lot of fun with Miss Nicole, I'm sure! :D

Hmmm, several attempts to link a picture haven't worked. Maybe if I just paste the URL here it will come up as a clickable link:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDjISGHtK9S/

Groo
03-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Groo here
Xnay on the recoil spring, put in a flat bottom firing pin stop plate, egw has them.
This is Brownings original design.
The hammer holds the gun closed not the recoil spring .
Makes quite a difference.
PS. Thin the Alox tumble lube 50% with mineral spirits.[ search online]

bobthenailer
04-04-2016, 12:42 PM
I have two 1911's in 38 super , both have match barrels, one a Nowlin & the other a Kart both slug at .355 to .355.5
my pistol are most accurate when cast bullets are sized @.357 dia, testing from a Ransom rest, I tried .356 & .358 dia bullets as well.
The cast bullets I use are the Saeco 377 , 384 and 929 as well as the RCBS 125 rn gc.

I also size cast bullets @.357 for my three 9mm's ! 2 have factory match barrels and 1 is just factory

Lead Fred
04-04-2016, 01:46 PM
For the life of me, I dont know why the girlie calibers (380,9mm) all dont use the 38 Super.
It is the superior round.
My bud has a matched pair of Colt 1908s in 38 super, they are shootin machines.
We just size down my 357boolits.
The Colt 1908 was changed to 45 ACP in 1911.

Mk42gunner
04-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Pretty gun.

Those grips look like they would be awfully slick to me.

Robert

RJM52
04-05-2016, 07:26 PM
Been shooting the .38 Super since 1980...a wonderful round...very easy to load for.

1.280 is the max LOA. With that TC bullet you can shorten it up to 1.200...don't have to run it max length. Take the barrel out and drop round into the chamber...just keep shortening them up till the seat all the way without anything but gravity.

As to springs..I run "warm" as in most of my rounds are over 1300 fps and have used a 18.5# spring in all my Supers...like a dozen of them and the work fine.

My favorite cast bullet is the SAECO 383...doesn't look like it could possibly feed in anything but feeds in all my 9mms and Supers.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/1911-II/DSCF7591_zpsbb16fba7.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/1911-II/DSCF7594_zps9bad7242.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/1911-II/20140509_094040_zps7012aaac.jpg

...welcome to the Super Club....Bob