PDA

View Full Version : Good Lead Score Gone Sour

ArrowJ
03-29-2016, 11:32 AM
I called the scrap yard here in Lincoln today to ask the price of lead and was quoted 40¢. I woke up one of the boys and off we went. After digging through hundreds of lbs and pulling the roofing and pipe and a couple plumbers ingots the owner sees how much I am buying and tells me he cannot sell it to me for that price. In the end I paid 65¢ which is 10¢ higher than my last trip. I will take it, but it burns my muffins. Ok, rant finished.

leadman
03-29-2016, 12:26 PM
That still is not a bad price. I paid that about 5 years ago and was happy.

triggerhappy243
03-29-2016, 12:39 PM
by law, he should sell it at the original quote.

ArrowJ
03-29-2016, 12:43 PM
Yeah, the price is not bad. I just did not care for the way it went down. On the other hand, I was sending PMs to Smoke for two day about a 3D printing job and decided not to do it when I realized how close my budget was to being exhausted. That was not too cool either so I guess I should cut the guy some slack. I not a businessman, but I do more about doing business than any business man living today :)

runfiverun
03-29-2016, 06:14 PM
should have asked the 40 cent minimum poundage.
then went for that amount next go-round.

umm where is this scrap yard anyway.[smilie=1:

Handloader109
03-30-2016, 07:14 PM
He quoted a price, you should have pushed back no matter how much you were buying. He did not state min or max quantity at a certain amount...... I might have bought what I had pulled out, but I sure would have let him know that he wouldn't get any more of your business and would let everyone know what he pulled.....

ArrowJ
03-30-2016, 07:36 PM
That is how I felt, but truth is, he is the only game in town and I am lucky to have lead right up the road that cheap. I feel better now after reflecting on my own shortcomings which are many, but that does not mean I will not buy elsewhere if the opportunity arises.

truckerdave397
03-30-2016, 08:27 PM
If you got to sort the lead and took the better pieces that you wanted then $.65 per pound is not horrible. I pay $.60 per pound and I work at the scrap yard. But yea that type of deal does happen and there is not a lot you can do about it other than go elsewhere. That $.60 to $.65 per pound is what the scrap yard gets for the lead when sold by the truck load.

lightman
03-31-2016, 10:06 AM
Having them go up on the price kinda sucks, but $.65 pound for select lead is not bad. The yards around here won't sell to the public. They don't even like you to look around when you are there selling stuff.

RoadBike
03-31-2016, 08:33 PM
I checked a local yard today. He said he charges $1.00/lb for lead.

ghh3rd
03-31-2016, 08:55 PM
Well, you can tell the jerk that I will never patronize his establishment after hearing that!

Randy
Tampa, FL

Geezer in NH
04-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Quoted price he would have kept it and expect a call from the state AG. Get a new dealer.