PDA

View Full Version : Lee priming tool

seabreeze133
05-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Bought a new one and had to return it as the shell holder did not align and the primers would not feed using my older shell holders. Assumed the plastic part was miss cast. Anyone run into the same issue?

Don

Sprue
05-06-2008, 05:26 PM
You speaking of the Lee Auto hand Primer ?

Let me check....

I just bought a new one to have on hand as a spare. I don't expect to use it anytime soon, but I've gotten good service from the one I use now.

No problems with it. I tried both large and small. Everything seems to be in order with it.

Thanks for the heads up tho!

VTDW
05-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Don,

It just sounds like you got the proverbial 'Lemon'. Thank goodness it isn't a new car.:p

Dave

BudRow
05-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Are you sure you used the correct shell holder? The hand held unit takes special shellholders and the ones that fit the presses won't work.

ihuntbuck
05-13-2008, 01:13 PM
i have two of them and they both work fine sounds like you bought a lemon.

jlb300
05-13-2008, 05:41 PM
+1 with budrow
If it dosent work they will give you a new one if you send it to Lee

pdawg_shooter
05-16-2008, 03:06 PM
I have 2, one with small primer tray and one with large. Many thousand of primer through both and still work perfect.

mtgrs737
05-16-2008, 03:16 PM
I have two that I use and a spare plus some spare parts as I have broken a few of the bodies and levers, but that was my fault not the Lee Auto Prime. I will always have and use them, a real gem in reloading. It sounds like you just got a lemon to me.

Lee
05-16-2008, 11:33 PM
What they all said....with a name like "Lee" how can you go wrong??............Lee:wink:

Shiloh
05-28-2008, 11:35 PM
I have primed thousands of rifle cases with mine. The part that fails is the handle that works the ram. I break about two a year and always have at least one spare on hand.

Shiloh

Slogg76
06-19-2008, 10:16 PM
As previously asked...are you sure your using the right type of shell holder? I made that mistake when I first purchased a Lee priming system. I misunderstood and thought it used standard shell holders-the same as my presses. After trying just about every manufacture's hand primer I find Lee's work the best. At least for me.

keeper89
06-20-2008, 01:26 AM
Bought my auto prime in 1987 and have used it ever since.....not a single broken part to report and I have to tell ya, I couldn't even begin to guess how many primers have been seated perfectly.....but it is a LOT!!!!:-D Think I'll score another one soon so I will have one set up for large and one for small.....also just got in one of the classic cast presses to upgrade from my rcbs junior, purchased in 1979.....relegating the jr. to secondary duties but that Lee is one nice piece of equipment:drinks:

miestro_jerry
06-20-2008, 07:18 PM
I have one for large and one for small primers and I think all of the shell holder Lee produces for them. Never had a problem with either of them, bought them in the early 80s I think.

Jerry

TexasJeff
06-21-2008, 12:29 PM
I have one for large and one for small primers and I think all of the shell holder Lee produces for them. Never had a problem with either of them, bought them in the early 80s I think.

Jerry

+1

All my match-grade and accuracy stuff, plus all rifle stuff gets primed on the Lee hand tool.

Jeff

DLCTEX
06-22-2008, 10:20 AM
+1 --1 large,1small, 1 spare. Never broke one and have put lots of pressure on them. DALE

anachronism
06-22-2008, 11:27 AM
I still have two, one set up large and one small. I quit using them because I wear out the pot metal link in the middle. I see that LEE now sells them separately, but they should last longer than a year in any case. I now use a seemingly indestructable RCBS primer.

13Echo
06-22-2008, 12:27 PM
I've been using a Lee hand primer tool for years. With a bit of grease on the toggles the joints don't wear out. Using the proper pressure to seat the primers they don't break. The Lee tools I've seen break were by loaders that seated the primers to crush depth! You don't have to, in fact you shouldn't, fully close the toggle. That greatly overseats the primer and excessively stresses the tool. Use just enough pressure so you feel the primers bottom out and set the anvil. No more. If the primers are seated just below the rim of the pocket they are properly seated. The tool may be inexpensive but it should last.

Jerry Liles

James C. Snodgrass
06-22-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm with 13 Echo I use some lube on the parts that need it and ain't broke one yet. The only mods I've made to mine was opening the mouth up a little for the WSM's and that's it.

Dan Cash
07-15-2008, 07:25 PM
I had an old one and it was good but now gone after several moves. Have the third new one in 4 years and there won't be any more. Handles break, primers don't feed into the ram chamber and generaly aggrivating.

copdills
07-15-2008, 08:26 PM
never had a problem with ones I have , but everybody has a Lemon once in a while

hope it turns out alright
copdills:drinks:

KCSO
07-15-2008, 08:30 PM
I still have the old solid aluminum and steel screw in shell holder tool they sold way back when. Still working good never needed parts. Tried one of the newer ones and wasn't impressed, I'll stick with the old one.

Kraschenbirn
07-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Just retired the only Lee Priming Tool I've ever owned...after 20+ years the lever/link assembly were worn to the point that it wouldn't fully seat primers if the pockets were even slightly "snug." Okay, so it only primed a couple hundred thousand cases...whaddya expect from a cheap Lee tool?

Bill

missionary5155
07-15-2008, 09:16 PM
I have mine down here in Peru.. high altitude does not affect it (8000+) nor volcanic dust.. it just keeps on du-en what it should.

freedom475
07-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Best thing since Gun Powder!

Yeah sure I have "used-up" 3 of them and am on my 4th. Lee offers the 1/2 price replacement but I've never sent one back.

The one I just bought has a few up-grades that really make them work better than the older ones.

trickg
07-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Mine is virtually new and although I have never primed small primers with it, so far it has handled large primers like a champ.

DLCTEX
07-15-2008, 11:47 PM
I rarely use my hand primers anymore since buying the Lee classic cast turret with the safety prime. Now I use the safety prime for all priming. The primer feed is better, there is all the leverage you need, and changing from large to small primers takes seconds to do. Quiet a tool! DALE

floodgate
07-16-2008, 12:08 AM
I have had one of the old screw-in Lee hand primers for 30+ years, and have most of the shellholders. It was getting a little "sticky" so I worked a bit of "Bull-Plate" lube into the bearing points on the link and it now works "better than new". I picked up a spare, still on the old blister-pack card, along with a couple of shellholders I was missing . So, at 77, I'm probably fixed for most of the rest of my time here....

floodgate

exile
07-16-2008, 02:31 AM
I have one and love it. I screwed up the cast toggle part because I did not lube it. Called Lee and they sent me three of that part for about $ 12.00 including shipping. Now I lube that part every time I prime and it works fine. All my reloading stuff is Lee, including my classic cast press. The stuff is so simple to use, I am not sure I could use anything else. I have never primed using the press or any other method. I will stick with this. Good advice not to bottom out the handle. Using just enough force works great.

sundog
07-16-2008, 09:13 AM
floodgate, I have one of the old Lee primers you describe, but only two of the screw in shell holders. Any idea where to get those shell holders now a days?

floodgate
07-16-2008, 12:32 PM
sundog:

They lurk in cigar boxes of "stuff" at gunshows, and in dusty recesses in old gunshops. Look for a PM.

floodgate

Antietamgw
07-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Sundog and those who are screw-in shellholder disadvanatged: There are a goodly number of them, new, in the remnants of an estate I'm selling. I haven't gotten around to sorting them yet. Are there any that you need specifically? I'd like to buy or swap for an extra priming handle if there are any out there. I've been using one for many years and only went to the newer high velocity model when I couldn't find the shell holders I wanted. PM me if you need some. Thanks!

Antietamgw
07-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Fellas, got your PM's and I'll see if I can't sort through the shellholders in the next couple days. I'll PM each of you back. Everyone wants .45-70! Some years ago I sacrificed an RCBS shellholder for .45-70 and a spare screw-in for the LEE, wedding them together with a longer priming punch. Made no sense to spend twice the value of the tool for a shellholder and, at the same time, made perfect sense, because I couldn't find one anywhere. I think I have an application chart for these but may call on you Floodgate for some help.

ktw
07-17-2008, 08:42 AM
I posted an application chart for these a while back in this post
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=319869&postcount=11

I would be interested in picking up a P and a K if you have copies to spare.

-ktw

DLCTEX
07-17-2008, 10:24 AM
I have D,E,F shellholders if anyone needs them $10 shipped. DALE __SOLD!

1hole
07-17-2008, 11:18 AM
"...the shell holder did not align and the primers would not feed using my older shell holders."

If you are refereing to the old screw in shell holders the original Lee prime tool used, they are not compatible with the current models, nor do they use current press type holders.