PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor sight question

jonk
03-27-2016, 08:50 PM
I have an 1873 trapdoor. My buddy has an 1888. I like the Buffington sight set up.

Question: will the Buffington fit the existing 1873 sight base or no? I'm not drilling into an original gun to install the Buffington base, but if it is a drop in proposition, I might try it.

M-Tecs
03-27-2016, 10:46 PM
I am not 100%. I am currently out of town so I can't check mine. AL will know for sure. Send him an email. http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/TrapdoorSights.html

reno
03-28-2016, 01:23 PM
I shoot an 1873,early one with arched breech block.
It had a buffington on when I bought it,I've had the sight off and can't see any extra holes

RenoDave
03-28-2016, 03:40 PM
Direct bolt on. Does your 73 have slots in the screw heads that hold the sight on? alot did not

jonk
03-31-2016, 02:37 AM
Good question; I'll look. Even if no, I can probably get them out and just get replacement screws. My reason for asking is I plan on getting into the BPCR game. I eventually will get a more competitive gun, but the buffington sight will let me at least shoot the match, especially if I get the micrometer adjustment tool.

stubbicatt
03-31-2016, 09:15 AM
Man, I simply can't see that small front blade in the rear notch on the Buffington sight, which has put me off from buying one of these rifles.

RenoDave
03-31-2016, 09:41 AM
It was the best of all the issued sights, rather fragile for a battle sight You will also need the correct barrel band also, the sight fits into a slot in it. If you decide to try the Buffington, pay a lot attention to the windage screw, I have found a lot stripped or very sloppy. If you can't find the parts locally, drop me a note I may be able to set you up.