PDA

View Full Version : Another Kaboom

David2011
03-27-2016, 04:17 PM
Last Thursday a friend called me with lots of excitement in his voice. He said there had been an accident at the range he wanted to tell me about. He didn't tell me he was the subject of the accident. I had several people in my office so told him I would have to call him back.

Later he told me that someone else offered to let him shoot a new semi-auto handgun in 9mm. No need to name it because I don't think the firearms had anything to do with the accident. He and others were shooting at circles drawn around a quarter on paper at relatively close range. He is certain that the previous round impacted the paper. The next round went off with a horrendous boom and a flash of pain. The loaded chamber indicator was sticking straight up, the extractor was bent outward and his had was burned and bleeding a little. The owner of the firearm then informed him that they were shooting were reloads and that one must have split. My friend replied something to the effect of "bull-hockey!" and said no way a split case would do that. The case head was split with the upper half bent upward and the lower portion bent downward. I agree. I've had countless split cases come out of mu USPSA pistol and nothing extraordinary happened with any of them. They were found to be split after cleaning up the spent brass or after taking them out of the polisher.

It was most likely a double charge. We don't yet know what kind of powder was used. He had some small perforations of the skin with slight bleeding. I suggested that he might consider going to the doctor and get an x-ray to check for embedded metal. He poo-pooed the idea. Yesterday he told me that some of the injuries were starting to fester. He's a believer now that he has metal embedded in his hand.

The injury looks a little better as of yesterday afternoon. He is remarkably fortunate considering what happened. Had he been a right handed shooter he probably would not have been injured. He's right handed but left eye dominate so shoots left. His right hand was high, near the ejection port; would have been much lower had he been holding the pistol with his right had as the strong hand.

I thought the site went down Sunday afternoon because both my laptop and iPad couldn't access it. Turns out there is a failure with my provider that I can't access the site.

David

Stewbaby
03-27-2016, 04:35 PM
My money is on the double charge since the previous round working and hitting paper seems to rule out improper powder or a squib.

MtGun44
03-27-2016, 05:43 PM
Double charge is THE most common serious reloading error by a very large margin, so
that would be the best bet.

Bill

dverna
03-27-2016, 05:57 PM
I never shoot anyone else's reloads unless I have known them for a long time and trust them

Outpost75
03-27-2016, 06:16 PM
Some guns will digest a double charge with no consequence other than ringing ears and a stung hand. Rugers come to mind. I've also seen M1911s shot with double charges in which the only consequence was blowing out the magazine and splintering the grips, bruising the shooter's hand. Not to say that shooting them is ever recommended, but part of a standard military safety evaluation is that such an event should not cause a casualty which would take a soldier out of the fight.

I would not shoot reloads in any semi-auto which does not fully support the case head, because as the case work hardens from repeatex reloading you are setting yourself up for a Kaboom!

243winxb
03-27-2016, 06:33 PM
http://Www.photobucket.com/kabooom It happens to much , i think.

Teddy (punchie)
03-27-2016, 07:13 PM
http://Www.photobucket.com/kabooom It happens to much , i think.

Thanks for sharing. I think every reloadeder should look at these type pics from time to time. May keep there head on the task and be more careful.

opos
03-27-2016, 07:28 PM
Like many other shooters and loaders I sometimes just sit and wander through the you tube videos of various equipment and techniques..and no I didn't learn to load on the internet...Al Gore had not invented the internet in the 50's...Every now and then I come across someone's video of loading and watch while the dogs and kids tear through the loading area while the loader is charging cases, etc..it makes my skin crawl...I see the tv going full blast in the background or hear the radio with Rush or some other political stuff (that will blow the concentration), the phone wringing, etc..

The man that was my "teacher" way back was really specific about single focus while reloading and if the focus drifted or was interrupted...simply quit for a while or until the next day...I've never been a volume loader...I don't shoot any of the AR style rifles...I am a bolt action rifle shooter and mostly wheel guns (a few semi's) for handguns...so I don't get in a hurry. Some of the videos stress "throughput" with some of the progressive equipment...I see threads on other sites talking about "how many rounds per hour can you get?", etc.

I guess I'm an old fuddy duddy...it always seems I load what I need for the next range visit..and have stored away enough that I'll have something to shoot if I can't get to the bench that week...I have never (YET) had a kaboom...I've caught a couple of squib cases when inspecting "charged cases" before seating a bullet but very little of anything over the years...I think lots of the double charges come from inattention, disruption or plain hurrying to set some kind of loading volume record....I look at the experience as a journey...not a destination..

Load safe

ascast
03-27-2016, 07:30 PM
I never shoot anyone else's reloads unless I have known them for a long time and trust them

that is a very short list !

w5pv
03-27-2016, 07:39 PM
I had one with a (I am not going to name the gun)380,the unsupported region blew out,about a 1/8 " hole in the case but was enough to wreck the weapon.I have been thinking about an attorney and maybe saving some one from getting hurt.I wasn't hurt besides a scratch on my cheek and a messed pair of underwear.WOW

ericp
03-28-2016, 07:22 AM
Glad your friend is mostly okay.
I had a 38 Special Police Positive blow in my hands. Same situation as your friend, at the range, somebody offered me opportunity to shoot it. The guy had FMJ reloads in factory boxes and no load data on the boxes. 3rd shot was the kaboom, it bent the topstrap and took off two of the empty chambers. I only got a little bit of metal in my hand and was able to fish it all out. His loads were with Titegroup, must have been a double charge.
Took a lot of 22s to get over the flinch.

Eric

Freightman
03-28-2016, 09:38 AM
In God I trust, all others "well"

lightman
03-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Everyone needs to develop a routine and to do their loading in a quiet stress free environment They also need to understand how their progressive machines work and that it dispenses a charge of powder every time that the handle is cycled.

I guess I'm lucky in that I have a few friends and family that I know and trust their loading experience and will shoot their reloads and they will shoot mine. Unfortunately, there are just some people that should not reload.

fatelk
03-28-2016, 12:18 PM
What's impressive to me is that it seems very rare to hear of a severe injury or fatality from a kaboom of a modern firearm. Of course that doesn't lessen the importance of safety or the trauma of a gun blowing up in your hand, but I understand that quite a bit of engineering goes into minimizing injury when one lets go.

I agree that some people just shouldn't reload. Many years ago I helped set a friend up with some cheap used reloading gear. I showed him how, loaned him books, and answered questions but he never found time to actually load any.

Several years later he wanted to upgrade because his buddies said he needed better gear. I helped him get a heck of a deal on some much nicer equipment. Now, many years later he still hasn't loaded any. I've also come to realize that he really shouldn't. If he did, I would not shoot them unless I had helped him. He's a great guy but I just don't think he has the personality or focus for it.

If he asks me more questions about getting started I'm going to carefully and politely suggest that he would be better served to shoot factory ammo. For the little he shoots, he could sell his reloading gear and buy a lifetime supply of ammo.

David2011
03-28-2016, 02:39 PM
Due to the positive comments I'll say it was a Ruger. I'll post the picture when I get home this evening. The site choked yesterday while I was trying to post it.

David

Pumpkinheaver
03-29-2016, 12:32 PM
This, but in this case I sounds like the shooter didn't know until after the fact.