PDA

View Full Version : Win 94

DrDucati
03-27-2016, 04:04 PM
Shot some reloads 30-30 yesterday, got a round jammed, and wouldn't budge. At home had to take the whole gun apart. Finally got the round to fall out. Put the whole thing back together. The last screw, and the one I probably never needed to remove anyway, that holds the spring plate over the loading port seems like it's stripped and won't screw in. And, now I'm wondering whether the jam was due to half-cycling the round or because some brass from another rifle made it into my reloads. I was neck sizing my own factory brass and if a stranger got in there it was not full length resized. Now to the gun smith hoping for a new screw.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-27-2016, 04:28 PM
I haven't stripped one all the way down for awhile, but it seems to me that the spring cover is just about the first thing that is re-installed to a disassembled receiver when putting it back together. That's because the curved tail is the spring and the squared off end that acts as a nut has to be pressed flush against the inside wall of the receiver with a thumb as the screw is turned it. It is very difficult to install the part as a "last in" item. So, it may turn out that the threads aren't stripped after all, maybe just not lining up squarely with the nut. If you're ambitious enough, take it apart again and try installing the part as described and you'll be able to tell for sure.

blixen
03-27-2016, 04:31 PM
That's my nightmare for my ancient M94! It's not happened yet, but I've had several jams with my Marlin 336s (usually the rounds are a smidgen too long) that I've had to disassemble to clear. Fortunately, the Marlins are a piece of pie to reassemble.

good luck!

Hick
03-27-2016, 09:35 PM
I had t0 replace the spring cover screw on my Model 94 when my father-in-law gave it to me (someone earlier had put in a wrong screw). If it won't start be patient. I probably spent more than an hour trying before it would start. My rule now is that I will never remove the gate!

DrDucati
03-27-2016, 10:17 PM
Those are some helpful responses thanks. I found Midwest gun works, and a few other places sell c replacement parts including this one. So I will keep trying and if I can't get it to go I will have an extra.