PDA

View Full Version : Gas check make ..just a thought

dakotashooter2
05-06-2008, 11:51 AM
I was wondering about the idea of using a lube sizer to make checks. One could have the die body made to fit where the sizer body normally goes then have the pin turned to fit the spot for the nose punch. A little bowl at the bottom could catch the checks. Should be faster than hammering them through on a hand unit.

jhrosier
05-06-2008, 12:11 PM
The linkage on the Lyman 450 is probably not heavy enough to survive very long.
Maybe some of the other brands are sturdier.

Jack

PatMarlin
05-06-2008, 12:12 PM
DKS, we thought about that option and it has been discussed here at Cast Boolits before. Problem is not everyone has a Lyman/RCBS style lube sizer, so we decided to offer our gascheck maker dies like a reloading die set for your single stage press.

That way when we run group buys here for all the standard calibers, everyone will be able to use the dies, unless they happen not to have a single stage. Can't believe someone would not have at least one single stage press. It just ain't American... :mrgreen:

We will offer custom sized and plain base check orders also.

PatMarlin
05-06-2008, 12:14 PM
The linkage on the Lyman 450 is probably not heavy enough to survive very long.
Maybe some of the other brands are sturdier.

Jack

That's also a good point. Our lube sizers work hard enough as it is.

scrapcan
05-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Pat,

How far along are you on the production end of the project for press mounted GC maker?

Ricochet
05-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Hmm, wonder if that idea would work with a Lee push through sizer and undersized "pusher?" (What do they call that pusher part, anyway?)

looseprojectile
05-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Ricochet;
My experience says, punch, as in punch and die.
Life is good

jhrosier
05-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Hmm, wonder if that idea would work with a Lee push through sizer and undersized "pusher?" (What do they call that pusher part, anyway?)

If you are sizing bullets, it is a pusher. If you are forming gas checks over it, it is a mandrel.

You would have to use a sizer just a hair larger than the boolit size so that the checks would fit on the boolit shank, prolly .003" over for most calibers.

There would also be the issue of getting the checks either out of the die or off of the mandrel, depending on which they decided to stick.

You will also have to rig up something to keep the blank centered while it is being moved into the die.

There certainly are a lot of details to resolve when making dies.

Jack

Ricochet
05-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Not as simple as it seems at first glance.

PatMarlin
05-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Pat,

How far along are you on the production end of the project for press mounted GC maker?

My buddy's working on it. I think he's waiting for some materials to arrive. When he's doing a project he's hard to stop. And this one is no acception. There won't be much time to wait when an orders placed I would imagine.

Hope to have one for testing soon. I'm going to send a 45cal to Lloyd Smale to test as well as myself. If it's a go we will post the results, or make changes as necessary.

scrapcan
05-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I anxiously await your results. Keep us posted.