PDA

View Full Version : Dimmer switch for pot control

sealer
03-27-2016, 12:29 PM
I have an old Lyman Mould Master XX furnace and a old Potter furnace. The Lyman has burnt up it's wires and prongs to the point that I have to run the electricity direct to the element, bypassing the thermostat so that it heats 100 % all the time. The potter furnace has never had a thermostat.
I don't have the money to buy or build a PID or to have the Lyman rebuilt. Can I put the pots on a dimmer switch to help control the melt or will that be too hard on the elements and burn them out ?
Holding the melt temperature to a very precise range is not that important to me, but I would like to be in the ballpark.
Thanks, Dennis

454PB
03-27-2016, 01:35 PM
It won't harm the elements, but may not be very accurate. I use one for my lubrisizer heater, but it does allow the temperature to "wander" some. Of course I'm maintaining temperatures around 120 degrees.

If you try it, make sure the dimmer is rated for the load.....probably around 10 amps, which is 1200 watts.

lightman
03-27-2016, 02:19 PM
Most dimmers are rated at 600 watts. You can buy a commercial dimmer rated at 1000 watts but you could build a PID for what they cost.

bangerjim
03-27-2016, 05:00 PM
Or get a router speed control at Harbor Freight. Check the ratings. Again, costs more than those cheeeep-o controllers they peddle on evilbay.

Forget the light dimmer idea! Not heavy enough.

banger

Mk42gunner
03-27-2016, 05:16 PM
If nothing else, Lee wants $11.00 for their thermostats.

Robert

merlin101
03-27-2016, 06:39 PM
If nothing else, Lee wants $11.00 for their thermostats.

Robert
And a power cord can be purchased at any hardware store by the foot, just add a plug and your good to go!

HangFireW8
04-04-2016, 09:03 PM
Or get a router speed control at Harbor Freight. Check the ratings. Again, costs more than those cheeeep-o controllers they peddle on evilbay.

I got that controller from HF. On the highest setting it took 100F off the top range of my pot. I use it for my lubri-sizer warmer now.

edctexas
04-07-2016, 04:32 PM
Make sure the power controller can do more than then the max the pot draws. The Lee "so called" 20 lb pot draws 700-800 watts and will burn up the common lamp dimmer.

Ed C

William Yanda
04-07-2016, 06:16 PM
I don't think you will burn the elements out. You may experience the smoke escaping from the dimmer switch after which it will not work. DAMHIKT!

Hardcast416taylor
04-07-2016, 08:52 PM
When I first started using hard lubes on my casting, a long time back. I used an end mill and made a `S` channel in a piece of aluminum for a heater to mount under each of my 450 lubers. I used heat elements from 2 old crock pots and wired then into a dimmer switch that I had mounted in an outlet box and mounted on a board away from the luber. I either upped the heat or turned it down to regulate the lube temp., when finished lubing I simply unplugged the unit. I used this outfit till I got a deal on 2 Midway under luber heaters.Robert

JefferyL
04-15-2016, 04:01 PM
A really cheap solution would be to wire a light switch inline on the power cord. A Lee replacement thermostat would work. I've also built a knock off PID controller for around $35, keeping the solid state relay cool is the trick.