PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 rimless

cowboybart
03-27-2016, 11:06 AM
I'm wanting to make 6.8 SPC from 30-30 brass. How do I hold the case and avoid crushing it while I turn the rim off?

Other than 30 Rem - anything else (easier) that will make 6.8 SPC or 30 Herret Rimless??

GRUMPA
03-27-2016, 11:39 AM
Look at how I do the 35Rem cases.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?276255-308-to-35-Rem-done-my-way&highlight=

I have since made a rod that fits all the way in the case with a center hole in it. Real easy to use but you need a live center to make it work, and of course a lathe.

TRX
03-27-2016, 08:23 PM
Many .30 Remington shooters turn .30-30 Winchester brass into rimless brass.

The absolute simplest way is to buy a cheap .30-30 barrel and cut off the chamber, or use a piece of bar stock, drill a hole, and rent a .30-30 reamer from reamerrentals.com. Or you might make a D-bit instead of renting a reamer.

A light tap from a plastic hammer will seat the case well enough for the work involved. Tap the case out with a rod through the tailstock. I always meant to make a weighted "hammer" to do that, but never got around to it.

Cut your form tool to the extractor groove shape. Almost any relief angles will work when feeding the tool by hand, but some angles cut much better than others. You'll have to play around and see; ordnance brass doesn't cut like the "free-cutting brass" in the tool charts.

I use the leading edge of the form tool to remove the rim, moving it back and forth until I see shiny spots on the back of the case. Almost no fired brass is actually round; it doesn't seem to matter.

Don't get carried away plunging the form tool in; it's taking a big bite and the brass will grab it if you get hasty.

You can use a small file to break the edges, but a wad of steel wool will also work, and will blend the machined area into the original case.

*Some* extractors depend on having the correct chamfer on the back of the case, but it usually doesn't matter.

EDG
03-28-2016, 12:07 PM
If you have a collet chuck on your lathe you can also hold cases on the body using one of the case holders for a Wilson case trimmer.
Just tap it in the case holder until it locks due to the taper. Chuck it in the lathe and turn the rim off. Remore the holder from the lathe and tap the case out.

I'm wanting to make 6.8 SPC from 30-30 brass. How do I hold the case and avoid crushing it while I turn the rim off?

Other than 30 Rem - anything else (easier) that will make 6.8 SPC or 30 Herret Rimless??

Harter66
03-28-2016, 10:56 PM
The pressures beat up the 30-30 brass pretty fast . I made about 20 for a 32 Rem then reformed them for a 7x6.8 mildcat it blew primers barely above 6.8 start loads . Of course in a bolt gun you can manipulate the loads out of the normal window much farther than with an AR .

cowboybart
03-29-2016, 06:22 PM
I am actually looking at building a 30 Herret & or a 35 Herret Rimless for an AR platform. I have a 357 Herret reamer and can make a barrel stub/holder, for making brass.
I'll look up GRUMPA's 35 Rem thread

GRUMPA
03-29-2016, 06:26 PM
If you need me to post a picture of my newer version of forming the head and groove with the rod I insert in the case just PM me. I just machined down a bolt with most of it smaller than the I.D. of the neck, it's not a tight fit for the neck but it does slip right out when I'm done. Goes faster than you may think, I use the same system to trim down all the heads on the various conversions I do.

cowboybart
04-02-2016, 11:27 AM
I'm thinking I'm gonna get 20 - 25 pcs from you. I do want the small primer pocket in the brass that I use for load development. I'll have to find some 6.8 brass for that.

Harter66
04-02-2016, 12:52 PM
Bart ,
If you cruise 68forums.com you'll find more than you ever wanted to know can be done with the 6.8 and a few others for AR .

Here's a whole sticky for the 30 Herret in an AR .
http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?49363-30-Herrett-AR&highlight=herret

There are several members that offer up volumes of 1x 6.8 brass at 20-35 cents . It is owned by a couple of manufacturers of AR components. It is about the cartridge not the platform there and they are actually pretty open to ideas . Give them a look .

cowboybart
04-06-2016, 08:57 PM
That's a good site Harter. Only bad thing is I can't post a WTB - brass, until I get 50 posts.

Harter66
04-06-2016, 11:13 PM
Look around for a free bullets or casting on the cheap thread it should be pretty quick to run up a count .
There's a vender there ......can't remember his name, but he is putting out 200 gr 279 slick Hy-tek coated for the subs crowd ...... cast has gone mainstream . :bigsmyl2:

cowboybart
04-08-2016, 08:45 AM
I'm not looking to do anything in the 270 bore. Just using the 6.8 brass to neck up to 30 and 35.

Harter66
04-08-2016, 10:28 AM
Just throwing it out there under the premise that you might add cast experience to build post count .
There is a thread titled 358 MPG , I believe it is based on a straightened 6.8 and short necked .
Just a finger in the pot . While it is required to make "meaningful" posts I think a guy could get away with " oh I see ,the cast bullet becomes a compression seal by swaging to groove dia. " to pad a post count.

6.5 Carcano can be used if you happen across a bucket full in some garage .

jimofaz
04-08-2016, 03:17 PM
collet lathe works for me.