PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99R in 300 Savage

Frank46
03-26-2016, 11:41 PM
Bought a bubba'd savage 99R (rifle) in 300 savage years ago and someone looks to have used a dremel on the first 1/4" of the chamber. So this leads me to ask this question was there a feed ramp machined along with the barrel?. If someone could post a pic I'd be greatfull. At least I'd know what was done to it. Darn thing won't feed from the rotary mag maybe more that 1-2 rounds. bore is nice but think the scope mounting holes may be out of whack as used just about all the windage to get near the center of the target. Wood is in pretty good shape as is the case hardening on the lever. Thanks Frank

richhodg66
03-27-2016, 07:01 AM
That's a shame, the 99R is, in many respects, the best of them.

There is an adjustment for the magazine spring underneath the forearm where it mates up to the receiver you need a big screwdriver to turn, haven't looked in a while but it seems you need to loosen a set screw, then turn the big screw which puts more tension on the magazine screw, then tighten down the set screw again (going off of memory here).

Some 99s are more finicky than others. My old 99EG in .300 is slick as greased glass and seems to feed anything. My older 99H in .303 is pickier about overall length, had to figure it out when I started shooting it.

gnoahhh
03-27-2016, 08:50 PM
Yes, what Rich said. Try adjusting the rotor spring tension before giving up on it. The feed ramp may be ok if not messed with too badly. (I would post some pics of one of my feed ramps but my camera is setting 90 miles away and my cell phone isn't up to the task.) The rotor itself is responsible for most of the positioning of the cartridge for entry into the chamber. If someone attacked the lower rear portion of the barrel with a Dremel, I would be more concerned that they removed meat from a safety standpoint than from a feeding standpoint (loss of steel from support of the cartridge head).

Hold the tension of the rotor in place while removing the set screw (right above the round counter window), move the rotor 90 degrees around, or so, install set screw. Repeat as necessary until good tension is there. If it still doesn't feed reliably, look to the cartridge cut-off and the cartridge stop/ejector for evidence of "customization".

Frank46
03-27-2016, 11:49 PM
I have fired it with WW 300 savage ammo and was pretty accurate. Only a few scratches in the chamber but to this day I wonder what possesed the former owner to dremel the feed ramp?. The feed ramp is gone as in not being there anymore. The cases from the fired ammo showed no unusual bulges or other deformation. More or less gave up on it due to the feeding problem and the inability of the magazine to hold more than a couple rounds without spitting them out when trying to put more that a couple in. Is the feed ramp part of the barrel or the receiver?. Savage 99's are rarely seen in this neck of the woods. Thanks for your help. Frank

gnoahhh
03-28-2016, 10:15 AM
It's part of the receiver. Look to the rotor/cutoff/guide arrangement for the source of your issues.