PDA

View Full Version : 98 Mauser rechamber

Diver07
03-26-2016, 11:29 PM
Looking for opinions regarding rechambering a 98 Mauser action. Have a large ring I want to build on. I'm thinking .308, but would like to hear of other calibers others have done. Not really looking for a varmint gun. Just curious...

paul edward
03-27-2016, 01:32 AM
In the late 1970s I had a .308 Winchester barrel installed on a 1909 Mauser action. Carved a new stock and it works just fine. If I had it to do over again, I would choose 6.5x57. Another excellent choice is 7x57. I would have considered the7x57 at the time except I already have a 7mm Rolling Block and did not want to have two different loads in the same caliber.

A lot depends on what use you plan to make of the rifle you are building.

leebuilder
03-27-2016, 11:18 AM
Not that hard there are many after market mauser barrels around in all the popular calibers that have similar base diameters. M98 is about the easiest to rebarrel, not to mention all the purpose built military conversions in 7.62×51 out there as well.
Be safd

leadman
03-27-2016, 12:48 PM
I've done 308, 25-06, 6.5-06 in the 98 Mauser. No problems with any of them. Have also installed new barrels on the 91s and 93s in 7.65 X 53 Arg. and 7X 57 Mauser. Tried a 7.62 X 39 in a 93 but did not feed well. No problem with the others.
Finding good 98 Mausers cheap enough to rebarrel is a little harder than before. Make sure you take the action out of the stock to inspect it as there can be pitting below the stock line. Check for wear and slop on the bolt when operated and after the barrel is out check for bolt head setback on the locking lugs.
Just read Kuhnhausen's shop manual on the 91 thru 98 Mausers and it is great for one interested in working on these old guns.

Scharfschuetze
03-27-2016, 06:46 PM
I've had two Model 98s that were rebarreled at arsenals. The Israeli K98 was traded off, but I still have a Chilean 1909 infantry rifle. It shoots the 308 very well and feeds quite well in comparison to the Israeli version. Not sure why, but perhaps the Chileans modified the feed rails a touch for the wider shouldered 7.62 NATO.

dh2
03-27-2016, 10:47 PM
so far I have done 25-06AI, .338-06, 9.3x62mm Mauser and .280 AI Nosler, and been very happy with all,
a friend has done many with 22-250 and got good results
I have considered doing 22-250 AI Noslers version but with the pressure that high would rather use a Rem700 action

Diver07
03-28-2016, 06:23 AM
I've done 308, 25-06, 6.5-06 in the 98 Mauser. No problems with any of them. Have also installed new barrels on the 91s and 93s in 7.65 X 53 Arg. and 7X 57 Mauser. Tried a 7.62 X 39 in a 93 but did not feed well. No problem with the others.
Finding good 98 Mausers cheap enough to rebarrel is a little harder than before. Make sure you take the action out of the stock to inspect it as there can be pitting below the stock line. Check for wear and slop on the bolt when operated and after the barrel is out check for bolt head setback on the locking lugs.
Just read Kuhnhausen's shop manual on the 91 thru 98 Mausers and it is great for one interested in working on these old guns.
Thanks. I will definitely check out the manual.

Hdskip
03-28-2016, 06:43 AM
I've got mausers in .257 Roberts, .284 Winchester, .338-06, 30-06, 7x57, .300 Winchester, .243 and will likely build several more. I think they are a great choice.

Diver07
03-28-2016, 07:23 AM
Some very good suggestions. Things I'm considering:

1. Distance. I would like to reach out and touch. I've shot .308 semiautomatic in competition out to 500, would love to push further.

2. Availability of caliber components. I do reload. Which at the moment is another reason why I've been considering .308

3. 3rd reason for .308...LEO. I am a law enforcement office and on of the most common rounds in use at the moment is the 308. It's just fresh in my head. Others I have seen in use...300 win mag, 300 WSM. On the other hand...most LEO engamemts with precision rifles are well under 500 yrds.

However, I don't want to necessarily just go with the 308 because everyone else is. I want something that's going to work...preferably way out there.

The suggestion of .338-06 is interesting though. Never really gotten into wildcat calibers, but my father has multiple and enjoys them.

I did have some one suggest 6.8 spc. However, some of my reading on it doesn't make it seem like a good choice for multiple reasons. I think there are many more options that would be more effcient.

On the subject of condition of action...already had it checked out with a trusted gunsmith.. and was given the A-ok.

Stock wise...I have been considering the Archangel stock system. They will be releasing a model for the Mauser soon. By the time I get to that point they'll probably have been on the market for a bit (kinks worked out).

Ballistics in Scotland
03-28-2016, 07:52 AM
Nobody is mentioning the 8x57, but unless you have some specific requirement that makes something else better, it is an excellent cartridge.

If you want to rebarrel, the easy way is to use one of Brownells' short-chambered barrels, ready threaded and short chambered for the cartridge of your choice. You need a chamber reamer and a short extension (3/8 square socket for most reamers) to deepen the chamber to the correct headspace after the barrel is tightened in place.

An even cheaper alternative if you can find one, though I don't see it in the Brownells catalogue at the moment, is a long chambered barrel. This one is peculiar to the 98 Mauser, because it requires an action where the barrel tightens up on the internal stop-ring rather than the front face of the action. The chamber is over-length, and you just keep removing a little at a time from the rear face of the barrel, which contacts the stop-ring. Maybe they stopped offering them due to people just assembling the thing without adjusting the headspace.

Diver07
03-28-2016, 12:22 PM
Something I should have mentioned in my initial post....it is chambered in 8mm already. Unfortunately the barrel is not in good condition (came into my possession this way). The 8mm is still a serious consideration for me also. Ballistics and cost are my biggest factors. Refer to my above post for some of the other thoughts I am looking at. I do have a moderate amount of 8mm casings already, the dies, cb, and wouldn't have a real problem spending a little money on more. I know my purpose is a bit open ended, let's sum it up with: LEO, SHTF, decent long distance if I need/want, accessibility and availability of reloading components, and some dang good ballistics. I do recognize the 8mm as the big influence of the 30-06 and such (by my reading/research anyway) due to ballistics, and was considered superior to what we were using, at least in WWII. My only concern is the availability of reasonably priced components. We do cast a bit, so I am not against shooting lead at the range, but there is the possibility of using it as a work weapon, unfortunately, instructors (I shake my head at this one) tend to frown upon calibers that are not typical/standard to LE. I also understand part of that is due to legal reasons ("Officer, could you tell the jury why you were using a larger caliber than typical in LE? Doesn't that seem 'excessive'....). The cost of factory ammo factors in also if I were to use it for work. LEO's in PA typically have to pay for our own ammo if we aren't working for a large department. I myself as an LE handgun and shotgun instructor do understand the fact that...there are just some calibers that would do a better job, but the industry moves slow and unfortunately in the current climate is rather PC. Arguing something out of standard in court will be a challenge. In the end though, if 8mm or any other caliber, after comparison to other calibers is going to give me the most number of options...I'll have to eventually figure something else out for work.

Again, I thank all the input so far. It's definitely helping narrow down choices and thoughts.

376Steyr
03-28-2016, 12:38 PM
I'd advise not doing it. Sporterizing a Mauser is like buying a boat, there is always something else that needs to be bought, repaired, upgraded, etc. If you're concerned about the cost of reloading components, the Mauser sporter game isn't for you. I'd recommend selling the Mauser to fund something economical you could use, such as a Ruger American bolt action in .308 Winchester.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-28-2016, 12:42 PM
Use 200gr. round nosed FMJ bullets, and if you get into trouble, obtain and produce any of the innumerable medical texts which regarded them as a step forward in humanity from the earlier large-bullet rounds, and further developments as a step back. That would include spitzer bullets and higher velocity small calibres, such as a soldier may regrettably have to fire at a model citizen with the wrong set of conscription papers.

Diver07
03-28-2016, 01:11 PM
367steyr

Not to argue your recommendation, which i have also thought of and kept on the table for the moment, it had already been sporterized when i got it. I've had it in storage for about 12 years. At the time i bought it, i really didnt know what i had or didnt. I payed $75 figuring i had another rifle to add to my small collection of 1 rifle. I was younger...and had less sense lol. I dont have the original military stock, and the front sight was removed. Once I pick it back up from the gunsmith I'll post a picture. I'm not as concerned about price of reloading components as I am about availability. The cheaper the better yes, but in the end if I have to pay something i just don't want to go broke shooting it. Looking into it a little more...there's plenty enough out there at the moment I can start a nice collection of brass and such if I kept it 8mm.

screwcutter
03-28-2016, 03:18 PM
I would recommend one of the *X57 or 30-06 family cartridges for the ease of feeding. The 308 family is fatter in the shoulder area, I have a 308 on a Mauser that will fit 5 in the magazine, but won't feed with more than 4.

fast ronnie
03-28-2016, 10:12 PM
.30-06 works real nice in a 98, but does require a little work to lengthen the magazine by .050 or so. Bolt face is correct. How much work depends on how accurate your wanting. The more accurate, the more work it takes. Worth it in the end, but like someone else said, it can get time-consuming or expensive if you are having someone else do the work.

flounderman
03-28-2016, 10:41 PM
I have about any caliber from 30 on down and since I built a 260 Remington, it has been all I have used. The 6.5 bucks the wind, shoots flat, recoil is less, Brass is cheap, use 243s necked up. It is similar to the 6.5 swede. If you decide to go with a commercial, the Savage 110 is easy to headspace and has the things you would have to change on a Mauser.

leadman
03-29-2016, 02:14 AM
I like my 6.5-06 other than the 1 in 10 twist. Been toying with the idea of a 280 Rem or 280 Rem Ackley Improved. Bought a 7mm-08 Encore barrel and the ballistics on it are impressive.
The Adams & Bennett barrels that Midway sells take a little breaking in but shoot very well after a 100 or so rounds are down the tube. Price is right and short chambered so not difficult to install and headspace.

rwadley
03-29-2016, 11:23 AM
I like the x57 cartridges. I have owned a couple of 7x57's (still have 1). It is an excellent cartridge. However, the 8x57 is also an excellent cartridge and there isn't any real reason to change it. If you are interested in a heavy barrel, Sarco sells them for cheap. http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/mauser98tackdriverheavybarrels.aspx I can't vouch for them, but I would try it out if I were you. They are short chambered.

RU shooter
03-29-2016, 11:59 AM
For longer range target work how about a 6mm or 6.5x57 both should feed just fine in a 98 action low recoil and lots of good target bullets to pick from

littlejack
03-29-2016, 02:18 PM
A few years back I bought one of the Egyptian Mausers that showed up on the market, at a gun show. It/they are the BO model, which means "without markings". It had never been issued and was in pristine condition. Probably should have left it in its original condition, but had it sporterized. I had the gunsmith re-chamber it to 8mm-06 AI. It shoots a 200 grain bullet at an honest clocked 2800+ fps. My go to bullet is the 200 grain Nosler partition. The rifle will shoot 1.25" at 100 yards, if I do my part. It will also shoot the Hornaday 195 grain sp very well. I had some Norma 196 grain that I bought here on the Swappin and Selling site. They shot under 1" consistently.
Brass is very easy to make. This AI cartridge case and its parent case ( 30-06) both headspace on the same datum line, on the shoulder. So, all one has to do is prime and powder a 30-06 case, seat a bullet where you want it and fire form.
Recoil (to me) is very tolerable. Great cartridge.
Regards
Jack

tanstafl10
03-29-2016, 08:42 PM
Son,
I told you these guys know their stuff......
-
This was a fun read!
-
Fellas, Thanks for all the good info.
-
-
DAD

koger
03-29-2016, 09:47 PM
I am thinking of building another Mauser sporter, have done way over 100 in my life, last one I did for myself, was on a unissued FN 7x57 barrel, I did everything I knew to accurize it, and it shot anything form 120gr handloads to 200gr factory, into 3/4" groups, hot or cold, dirty or clean. Made a mistake of pricing stupid high to a hunting pardner, he took it, and it will go with him to the grave, great little sporter I built in the old commercial fashion

Earlwb
03-29-2016, 11:24 PM
I sporterized my Mauser many years ago. It is still chambered for the 8x57mm cartridge. But it is a good round to shoot or hunt with anyway. Not much sense changing it. But I could though. It looks as good as any of the more modern hunting bolt action rifles.

I also converted a Japanese Arisaka to use the .22-250 Ackley Improved cartridge too. I still have my first sporterized rifle a Saimese Mauser. It still uses the 8mm Saimese round and I have to load the ammo for it. But I think it makes a good hunting rifle too. More recently I sporterized my Chinese 7.62x54R rifle as well. But I left it using the original cartridge as it is a good one as well.

But nowadays, it may be cheaper to just buy a nice bolt action rifle or semi-auto for that matter. If you have a gunsmith do it for you, it might get pretty expensive. But I still like doing stuff like that myself though.

But your thoughts on going with .308 is good, that is a nice cartridge. Easy to get ammo for it too.

littlejack
03-29-2016, 11:40 PM
Earlwb.
You are correct about the 8mm cartridge. It is a fine cartridge as is. It will do anything the 30-06 will do. Personally, I think is superior over the 308.
As for the cost of a gunsmith to sporterize a rifle? A definite yes. Nowadays it is very expensive. I guess it all boils down to how bad a person wants a particular rifle and cartridge. If customized to what you want, it will be a lot cheaper to buy a factory rifle in the factory chambering, unless the person is capable of doing the work themselves.
I believe that I had that Egyption Mauser sporterized in 2002. At that time the dies for the 8mm-06 AI cartridge cost me 119.00 plus shipping from RCBS.
Just sayin.
Regards
Jack

map55b
03-29-2016, 11:52 PM
What length 98 do you have? What do you want to use it for? Do you hand load or looking for easy to find ammo? I've done 270 in a full length 98. 7x57, 22-250 and 308 in a Mexican 1910, 35 Whelen in a Yugo 24, 45-70 in a Siamese and so on.

aspangler
03-30-2016, 12:20 AM
I am currently working on my third 98 conversion. This one now has a 1" machine gun barrel chambered in 8x57. Slug measures .321.bore x .325 groove. 21" long and headspace is .0025".Going to order a Richard's Microfit stock for it. Nothing at all wrong with the 8mm. I have three of them. twoo are in the original stocks. Try it. you'll like it.

rwadley
03-30-2016, 09:54 AM
I am currently working on my third 98 conversion. This one now has a 1" machine gun barrel chambered in 8x57. Slug measures .321.bore x .325 groove. 21" long and headspace is .0025".Going to order a Richard's Microfit stock for it. Nothing at all wrong with the 8mm. I have three of them. twoo are in the original stocks. Try it. you'll like it.

When you get this going, you should start a thread. I have been interested in how those barrels shoot.

Diver07
03-31-2016, 08:05 AM
All good suggestions s. I'm going to have to do some real comparisons on ballistics and such.

Diver07
03-31-2016, 08:10 AM
Not sure on length. I'd have to measure it. Unfortunately due to work I did not get to retrieve it from the gunsmith yet. When I do...I'll post pics and some details. General idea...mid to long range, hunting, coyote sized and up. Yes I hand load. Have a decent amount of components for the 8mm already. Need to increase my stock of casings.

Diver07
04-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Okay, think I've narrowed it to 8mm, 25-06, 6.5 creedmore, or 6.5x47 Lapua.leaning toward .25-06...I'm hearing it's gaining momentum in LE and military.

HangFireW8
04-12-2016, 10:51 PM
I'd advise not doing it. Sporterizing a Mauser is like buying a boat, there is always something else that needs to be bought, repaired, upgraded, etc. If you're concerned about the cost of reloading components, the Mauser sporter game isn't for you. I'd recommend selling the Mauser to fund something economical you could use, such as a Ruger American bolt action in .308 Winchester.

Well... I would advise against paying someone to do it all. You'll quickly have $700 into a $275 rifle.

Taking your time, gathering parts on sale and closeout, doing as much work yourself as possible (stock, trigger, sights), and after a while, you'll have $400 into a $250 rifle. That's not so bad.

As for the cost of reloading components, if you cast your own boolits and stick with a 308, x57, or '06 family cartridge, it's really not a problem.

Four Fingers of Death
04-15-2016, 06:25 AM

My thoughts exactly, if the rifle is in original condition, even with a worn barrel, it could go well toward covering the cost of a Ruger American Rifle. The cost of an American is probably not much different to a re-barreling anyway. The reason us old farts re-barrelled and re-chambered milsurp rifles was because they wasn't much else available. There is plenty of great rifles out there now.

I'd g slowly with 308 on a mauser as well. I've had four Israelis over the years, one was a nightmare feeding wise, two were fair and one was good. They all shot alright.

Tenbender
04-15-2016, 09:13 PM
I have a 257 Roberts Ackley imp. 40. Great deer round and can be loaded down , I use 90 gr hp, for ground hogs or coyote's. I shoot Nosler 115 gr partition for deer. It shoots to fast for any other bullet on deer. The bullet will break up. I built this one back in 2001.
Someone posted about a 22 250 Ack. Imp. I had one and a stock 22 250 would out shoot it. Lost money on that build.

Diver07
04-16-2016, 10:48 AM
Part of the idea with this project isn't about buying a out of the box rifle because their available...its more of a "can I do it?" project. Yes, I'll do what I can myself. What it can't do I'll pay for as i can aford it. And I know it wont be cheap in that end. But I'm looking to gain the experience and in the end, if all goes well, be able to say "yeah I spent some money...but I did that. And it shoots. It shoots great."

MostlyLeverGuns
04-16-2016, 11:24 AM
With a 98 Mauser (military 8mm)I have found the .308 or .243 may or may not feed smoothly with feed rails unchanged. I like the 8mm, lots of power, still relatively cheap surplus ammo around, easy to reload. Prvi brass available right now. The 8mm is at least as capable as the .30-06 on big stuff. I have used the 200 grain Partition on elk, works very well. It is not fussy or hard to find accurate cast bullet loads. In an emergency, the .308 might be easier to find cases or ammunition, but it is easy to reform and shorten 30-06, 270, 280 to 8mm Mauser (7.9 x 57). Although I shoot the .308 a lot from my Savage 99's, with a bolt gun I would pick the 8mm over the .308 or .30-06. I have a loaded 8mm Mauser 98 with a good barrel and Lyman 57 sight behind my shop door - just because. Shaw barrels are inexpensive , available in 8mm and shoot very well.

Four Fingers of Death
04-16-2016, 11:45 AM
I always fancied an 8mm/06. A part of your hunting history and a pretty good round to boot.

map55b
04-16-2016, 11:46 AM
Amen Diver07! This is exactly why you should do this project, then with what knowledge you gain do another with a bit more complexity or uniqueness. I've build about 10 now. Started with just a basic sporter with a 7x57 Mexican 1910, scope mount, stock, trigger and bent bolt now I'm building a single shot from scratch. Have fun, learn and keep building, Just Because!

Diver07
04-21-2016, 07:25 AM
Thanks for summing it up..."just because".

Diver07
04-21-2016, 07:29 AM
Really narrowing it down to 25-06 due to not wanting to get into the complexity of shorter rounds such as .308. Although I'm liking the creedmore, this will most likely be the first of many builds and will be keeping it simple. I'll expand on the consecutive ones.

Four Fingers of Death
04-21-2016, 08:50 AM
The 25/06 is a great all rounder and will be a simple re barrel on the Mauser.

MT Gianni
04-24-2016, 05:13 PM
I re-barreled 98 to 243 and no longer own it in a caliber reduction plan. Currently shoot 98's in 280, 30-06, 35 Whelen and a 95 in 7x57. They are some of the most sporterized actions out there. I like the old 8mm06, 6.5x06 amd 375 Whelen as less common but if it is on a 308, X57 or 06 length cartridge there are probably very few better choices to sporterize an action. Savage has an easy bbl switch system and Rem 700 is an accurate platform but they sure made a lot of 98's.

Gaseous Maximus
04-26-2016, 01:15 AM
I agree with this, And I have done a bunch. Various calibers from 223 to 458 win. mag. Factory rifles have gotten cheaper, and probably more accurate, with better triggers, while mil. rifles and accessories have gotten more expensive, not to mention any work that has to be farmed out.

Remiel
04-30-2016, 11:08 PM
my buddy has 3 .270's, a 8mm-06, 7x57, 6.5 sweede, 338-06, .30-06, and is working on a .257 roberts, he has built .25-06 & .308 for a friend all on 98 actions