PDA

View Full Version : Ruger cylinder honing question

opos
03-26-2016, 06:45 PM
Just got a basic question about a Ruger Vaquero with tight cylinder throats...but this is about jacketed bullets..not cast. I have one that had tight and variable cylinder throats and had it reamed for my cast bullet loading..works fine and solved my "flier" problems for the most part (I still cause it now and then)...here's my question...I have another Vaquero that will not "pass" the push test with a jacketed .452 Nosler bullet...I don't plan to load cast in that revolver and it shoots reasonably well as it is...but since the throats are all too tight for the Nosler SJHP would I gain anything by having them reamed or does the reaming simply make things better for the cast bullet loading?

Just never knew and thought someone could answer..thanks
opos

Outpost75
03-26-2016, 07:50 PM
If you plan on shooting the Nosler bullets, which are excellent BTW, then I would recommend reaming.

DougGuy did both of my Ruger Convertible Blackhawk cylinders, and they shoot better now with jacketed as well as cast.

opos
03-27-2016, 07:39 AM
If you plan on shooting the Nosler bullets, which are excellent BTW, then I would recommend reaming.

DougGuy did both of my Ruger Convertible Blackhawk cylinders, and they shoot better now with jacketed as well as cast.

Many thanks...just was not sure about the jacketed situation...reaming sure made a difference in the cast shooting..thanks again
opos

44man
03-27-2016, 08:45 AM
Many thanks...just was not sure about the jacketed situation...reaming sure made a difference in the cast shooting..thanks again
opos
Works the same, "get er done."

tranders
03-27-2016, 08:51 AM
I also recommend DougGuy. He does a great job and fast turn around time.

Virginia John
03-27-2016, 09:16 AM
DougGuy has also done my Ruger and it made a big difference.

Brad Cayton
03-27-2016, 08:29 PM
DougGuy reamed my Vaquero cylinder too. Made it a different gun altogether. Haven't shot J bullets in it but it shoots much better with cast.

ClemY
03-30-2016, 07:13 AM
My Ruger NMBH in .45 Colt date from around 2000. I don't know what changes Ruger may have made since then, but mine were all tight. You could actually hear the difference between rounds. When I looked at mine, they were all kinds of shapes; oval and slightly S shaped were most common. Fortunately they were tight enough that reaming cleaned it all up. Now rounds sound the same, accuracy is significantly improved, etc.

While you are seeing about getting chamber throats reamed, you might want to take a look at the forcing cone. They can be off center, poorly cut, etc. and your gun may benefit from recutting the cone.