PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Loading Press Shelf

Green Frog
03-26-2016, 09:05 AM
Ten or fifteen (or 20??) years ago, Lyman made a sort of shelf or frame to which one would attach one's press for loading on a plain table or wherever. Apparently it didn't sell (or work?) well because I didn't see it catalogued long. Does anyone still have one and care to comment on it or even post pix? Was it made of plywood or solid planks? On paper, at least, it looks like a good idea(??)

Thanks,
Froggie

Pipefitter
03-26-2016, 11:32 AM
I keep a RCBS press mounted on a length of 2X8, and use "C" clamps to mount it to the reloading bench or the kitchen counter.

Drill the mounting holes all the way through the board and then countersink the bottom of the holes with a wood boring butterfly bit. Use carriage bolts to mount the press to the board.

Green Frog
03-26-2016, 11:38 AM
Thanks, Pipefitter. Been there, done that, but the one from Lyman had a little shelf (for a powder measure) and just kinda looked neat. Probably more than I "need" but...

VHoward
03-26-2016, 12:15 PM
https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/berrys-bench-topper
Berry's makes something like you describe out of metal. Kind of expensive though. Something could be knocked together from plywood for a fraction of the cost and work just as well.

Green Frog
03-26-2016, 03:21 PM
Boy howdy, that is pricey! I'm beginning to wonder if anybody ever bought one of the ones from Lyman. Anybody out here want to 'fess up? Did I dream this whole thing up after a particularly wild night in the swamp?

Froggie

Sagebrush7
03-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Green Frog, I copied the one Brownells/ Sinclair have in there catalogue made out of wood. Works great!

country gent
03-26-2016, 04:05 PM
It would be easy enough to make one up from wood. I would glue and screw the joints together. Make the back solid or closed to add strength to the unit. Instead of plywood I believe I would use 2X8s and 1X8s for the upper shelf in back. 2 wide would give 15" roughly widthe to work with. Dowel and glue these together 4 places down the length. 2X8 uprights in back 10" high. A 1 x 8 for the top and back made of 1X10 or 2 pieces of 1 x 8 cut to fit hieght. Glue with a good wood glue and screw together with 2 1/2-3" screws.

MakeMineLead
03-27-2016, 02:22 PM
I recall that item in the Lyman catalog, perhaps 20-25 years ago. it was stained plywood. As you say, it didn't last long.