PDA

View Full Version : Weight variation with my new Mold

lablover
03-25-2016, 10:02 PM
First I have to say I love my new mold. Started a few weeks ago casting and have a lee 2 cavity...NEver like the quality of the mold as well as bullets out of it.

Did some reading and NOE was the way to go. Got it the other day, seasoned and started casting. Made some pretty bullets for sure but my weight is off. Its a 4 banger for H&G 68 style 200 gr SWC .453. My bullets are coming out at a very accurate 213 gr.

Again, I'm a new caster and my first load of lead was bought from a local guy..WW. The bullets look like a million bucks but the weight has be scratching my head. I hope to use these for Bullseye practice and Matches.

Any advice would be great.

Joe

lablover
03-25-2016, 10:25 PM
Think I may have found the answer..if anyone can verify

The mold design calls for 20 to 1 alloy

I'm using mystery WW :)

243winxb
03-25-2016, 10:32 PM
Your alloy has a high percent of lead, making the bullets on the heavy side. Adding linotype will make them lighter, harder and larger in diameter , if you feel that weights a problem.

lablover
03-25-2016, 10:38 PM
Your alloy has a high percent of lead, making the bullets on the heavy side. Adding linotype will make them lighter, harder and larger in diameter , if you feel that weights a problem.

Plan on shooting them soon..Heck, they may be perfect at the weight they are at now. I tend to be a little OCD

And a Bench rest shooter...LOL

243winxb
03-25-2016, 10:38 PM
From Lyman.

bangerjim
03-26-2016, 12:05 AM
Most boolit weights very with alloy and mold. Mine drop at whatever they drop at! I really do not worry about it. Unless you really are into some of that competieive shooting stuff, plinking rounds and general shooting rounds can vary.

Just standardize on an alloy, cast your boolits, get a weight, and adjust your load if you feel the need. I do not adjust loads for a few grain variations in boolits. Don't worry what the manufacturer says the weight "should" be.

It is all up to you and what you want.

banger

lablover
03-26-2016, 07:31 AM
Yea, I am into that competitive shooting stuff. Like I said, I will shoot these and se how they fly. Next batch of alloy will be different

Yodogsandman
03-26-2016, 12:09 PM
Think I may have found the answer..if anyone can verify

The mold design calls for 20 to 1 alloy

I'm using mystery WW :)

Yes, the NOE sketch confirms it, check the second line down on the bottom, right for alloy used.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=523

Are your WW the "clip on" (COWW) type or "stick on" ones (SOWW)? Stick on type will be close to pure lead and weigh more. COWW's will contain more antimony and tin and weigh less.

With the same NOE 453-200 (HG 68) mold, mine are 216 gr using range scrap with a little pewter added. I wouldn't worry about the weight as long as it's consistent. Let your target tell you if it's good or not.