PDA

View Full Version : Colt Lawman.MK III .357 Magnum

RoninDelaware
03-25-2016, 06:34 PM
Hey guys, just acquired this pistol. And I have the blued 2" barrel. Looking for a swap over to 4", possibly 6". Still undecided. I've been to Numrich Gun parts and see a 4" barrel for $70.00. Blued, not bad. But, I'd like to see the 6", for a cost comparison. Does anyone know or can recommend a site that is fair.
On a side note. Is it better to have the barrels swapped at a Smith, or is this a home job SWAP. I'm handy, but if this requires a Machinist, then I'll pay the money.

RoninDelaware
03-25-2016, 06:52 PM
Also looking to get a fingered Hogue grip. Looks like only hardwood for the Trooper. Not Lawman III. Does anyone k ow the frame size for this Lawman. What's a good Hogue Grip to fit?

Guesser
03-25-2016, 09:08 PM
They were designated "J" frame by Colt. I have a Trooper Mark III, 4" and a Lawman Mark III 2". The 2" Lawman commands a premium because of it's ability to handle the most powerful 357 loads and still be comfortable to shoot. Think seriously before you change it, they ain't makin' them no more!!!!

Mike in Reedley
03-26-2016, 12:41 AM
You're probably already aware, but firing pins tend to be more fragile, so don't dry fire without snap caps. I have a very clean 6" I wish I could swap with you.

376Steyr
03-26-2016, 02:25 PM
Swapping barrels on a revolver requires a frame wrench and a barrel vise, a proper set up will run about $200. Or you can use some Bubba method and scar your barrel as you wreck the frame, but you "saved" $200. It is a job for a smith. If you want a 6" barrel, you would probably be better off selling the 2" and buying what you really want.

Harry O
03-26-2016, 03:13 PM
Phineas is entirely correct on the fact that no other grip will fit the Mark III other than a Mark III grip. I have had a couple of people try to sell me Mark V grips as ones that would also work. They will not. The Mark V steel butt is smaller than the Mark III. Of course, all the earlier models (Trooper, etc) are not even close to working.

smkummer
03-26-2016, 07:52 PM
A 2" Lawman is bringing a good price these days, no way would I swap the barrel on one. The only other barrel made for the lawman was a 4". You could also use a MKIII official police barrel as they were made in 4, 5 and 6. Realistically you can sell the 2" lawman and get what a trooper MKIII is bringing. They are available in 4, 6 and I believe that last ones were also made in 8" as well.