PDA

View Full Version : Pig hunting tomorrow,tips?

Oklahoma Rebel
03-25-2016, 05:59 PM
HEY,GUYS! ALTHOUGH IT IS NOT MY FIRST TIME, I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN ONE. I AM GOING TO HEYBURN (OR HEYBURN LAKE)? WMA SOUTH WEST OF TULSA OKLAHOMA. LAST YEARS MAST CROP WAS HUGE, STILL A CARPET OF GOOD ACORNS FROM LAST YEAR, AND WATER IS PLENTIFUL. SO IM NOT SURE WHERE OR WHAT TO FOCUS ON, I WOULD LOVE SOME TIPS FROM EXPERIENCED PIG HUNTERS,I DONT KNOW HOW TO POST PICTURES BUT IF YOU GOOGLE MAPS OF HEYBURN LAKE, OK YOU CAN GET A GOOD IDEA OF THE AREA. I DONT THINK IT SEES MUCH USE THIS TIME OF YEAR, BUT I KNOW IM NOT THE ONLY ONE TO PIG HUNT THERE. MY HUNT WILL BE IN THE EVENEING FROM ABOUT 3-4 TIL DARK, AND IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WERE TO GO BASED ON TTHE MAP, TOPOGRAPHY ETC, I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. THANKS,
Travis

Uncle Jimbo
03-25-2016, 07:25 PM
Shoot straight.
:Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

Blammer
03-25-2016, 07:59 PM
where the water is is where the mud will be, look for rubs on the bases of trees that look like you took a mud paintbrush and brushed the bottom two feet of it. Good pig sign.

Shoot for the shoulder to break them down sooner and keep shooting till he's down. Pigs can suck up a lot of lead sometimes.

CastingFool
03-25-2016, 08:19 PM
shoot them right in the ear, if you can, and they won't go far.

kmartin4
03-25-2016, 08:40 PM
shoot them right in the ear, if you can, and they won't go far.

What he said. Do not delay on a shot. Pigs are always moving unless chowing on bait. Ear is best. Followed by neck. Vital organs are low and forward so if you aim for a shoulder shot like on a deer, you won't hit vitals and will likely hit armor plate on a boar. Im in Tulsa and used to camp out by Heyburn when I was a teenager. There will be plenty of wallows and rubs within a couple hundred yards of the water. Do some scouting if you can. If you know someone that runs dogs, become their best friend, because then you can save the lead and just use the bayonet on your mosin.

Digital Dan
03-25-2016, 08:57 PM
Stream/river bottoms, still hunt upwind....SLOWLY. If they're there, you will find them doing this. Camo good, face mask needed. Fella can get awful close doing this. You run into a wad of them be cautious about what you shoot. Make Momma's baby squeal and you might wind up in a tree for a spell. Good pump shotgun and some buckshot that your gun patterns well is the ticket for that style of hunting.

TXGunNut
03-25-2016, 10:19 PM
Shoot early, shoot often. ;-) Little ones eat better than big stinky boars but they're all fun. Don't worry about the "armor plate" unless you're shooting fragile, lightweight or very slow boolits. Head is always moving so I seldom get a head (or ear) shot but a sturdy lead boolit with a big meplat will break both shoulders if a broadside shot presents itself. Heart is indeed very low in the chest so I hold just a little lower than with a deer. A head-on shot between the eyes is a bad idea; a little lower on a facing hog striking one side of the chest headed for the hip on the opposite side works fairly well with a very tough boolit moving at a pretty good pace but a broadside shot is best.
Don't worry about an angry hog charging you, it's just a story we tell the tourists. ;-) If one decides to prove me wrong[smilie=l: stand your ground, shooting if you can do so safely, and step aside at the last possible moment. They're fast but don't change direction well. :-)

BK7saum
03-25-2016, 10:27 PM
If they are up and moving/feeding, you will hear them before you see them if you are stalking into the wind. I have best luck right before dark as they move out of the thick brush and bottoms to feed in the pastures and openings. So I would say still hunt until an hour before dark and then set up along an opening with lots of sign right at dark.

Oklahoma Rebel
03-25-2016, 10:52 PM
I am using the 45-70 with 405gr boolits so im good on that, will have to get my bayonet wet oneday though lol, I know how the dog thing works but don't know anyone, k martin4 u still live around here? andis close to the lake where there aren't any roads/ camps good or is the deep woods better, just wondering cuz they might comb the shore for dead fish/ mussles

TXGunNut
03-25-2016, 11:54 PM
Get some rest, OP! Have a good, safe day tomorrow and have a great hunt! Looking forward to a story with pics! You're well-armed and if you head for low ground you'll find hogs. Be very quiet and you'll hear the groups of sows and youngsters. You most likely won't hear a big boar, they are usually solitary and don't make much noise.

dbarry1
03-26-2016, 06:36 AM
+1 on what TXGunNut said. Shot large one in 1983 with 243. Right behind shoulder with remington 100gr core lokt bullet. Went down hard. Couple years ago used a 30-06 (150 grain bullet). Same type of shot, same results. They are good eating. We ground most of the meat. Got a nice whitetail buck in OK a couple years ago. Lots of boar sign ("painted" mud on bottom of trees like Blammer said), but didn't see any boar. Good luck to you.

dbarry1
03-26-2016, 06:39 AM
45-70 w/ 405gr pill will be excellent hog medicine... :O) Hope we get to see some pics.

Screwbolts
03-26-2016, 07:50 AM
Shot straight and have fun, enjoy everything. And thank you for ditching the "CAP LOCKS".

Ken

41mag
03-26-2016, 08:54 AM
Look under brush piles, blow downs, and thick underbrush. They usually hole up in tight cover when resting and will remain still and quite until you get right on top and then blow out. Also look at the bases of bigger trees as sometimes a boar will roll out a small sleeping nest up against them and blend right in with the tree trunk. Any thick overgrown patch of vines and such or tall weeds like cat tails along the edges of the water can also hide a decent sized sounder and depending on the size of the water they aren't afraid to swim. We have had them swim the river plenty of times to evade the dogs and it's a real pain to get the dogs back once they follow suit. Take a couple of coolers full of ice, the quicker you get the hide off and meat on the ice the better it will be later on in the skillet. I usually skin them belly up, and spread the hide out as I go. This letts the hide drops away from the meat. This keeps the mud and other dirt off the meat while making a blanket to roll the carcass on while your butchering it. Good luck, have fun and bag a bunch.

Digital Dan
03-26-2016, 09:17 AM
A head-on shot between the eyes is a bad idea

Respectfully disagree with that. What one must do for that shot however is await that moment when their snout is down and the impact angle is closer to square than shallow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/pig%20pen/DSCN2968_zps85ccff04.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/pig%20pen/DSCN2968_zps85ccff04.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/pig%20pen/Familyaffair001_zps5506b88f.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/pig%20pen/Familyaffair001_zps5506b88f.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/pig%20pen/DSCN3596_zps474ade2b.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/pig%20pen/DSCN3596_zps474ade2b.jpg.html)

runfiverun
03-26-2016, 11:12 AM
I think the best advice I can give any hunter is to know the internals of their game.
that way no matter which way the animal is facing you know where you need to place the bullet for best internal damage.
focus on the bullets travel path and have a definite plan of what it's hitting inside the animal.
that way you know what type of tracking job your in for and what signs to look for if the animal runs away.

w5pv
03-26-2016, 12:16 PM
If you can manage,a shot to the bud of ear will put them down every time even with a .22 and shorts.Most of the time a shot to the flat part of the head will knock them down long enough to stick them in the heart with a Arkansas Pig sticker.All you farm boys will know what I am saying.

Digital Dan
03-26-2016, 04:34 PM
You mean like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/pig%20pen/Tidbit003_zpsfbbcc745.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/pig%20pen/Tidbit003_zpsfbbcc745.jpg.html)

For general info....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/pig%20pen/pig_anatomy_zps09125aaf.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/pig%20pen/pig_anatomy_zps09125aaf.jpg.html)

Oklahoma Rebel
03-26-2016, 04:38 PM
yeah, I got bored of the caps lock.lol, I didn't get out there till 8 am, about 100 yards in I came across about 5 very large tukeys right off the trail, easily in shotgun range, but the season starts the 1st. anyways after that I explored this new spot and found almost no sign, except for a lone set of the largest tracks I have seen, must have been an old boar. at 11 or so I went to my regular spot and found rooting in the leaves no more than a few hours old. the leaves were cleared in arching pattern ( as the pig moved his head side to side), the leaves were still piled nicely and the ground still bare. with the wind I can estimate that it would have been covered in maybe 2 hours at the most. so tomorrow evening I am going to still hunt covering that area. I will bee between the water, and their rooting sign, past that is a rocky hill that would have plenty of hiding spots, so I bet they bed there. anyways great info everyone!!! thanks for the help, and I will let you know how it goes. good day!
Travis

Oklahoma Rebel
03-26-2016, 04:39 PM
perfect timing! I am going to print that. thanks!

Lonegun1894
03-27-2016, 04:32 PM
Also don't be afraid to roam the area a bit. My local lake, they tend to move around a lot, so unless you set up a feeder to draw them to the same spot, they may be in your first spot this week, then disappear and go someplace else for 2-3 weeks or longer, and then show back up unannounced. And keep going back over and over again, for as long as you have room in your freezer--and then BBQ some when you need more room in that freezer.

03-27-2016, 09:29 PM
Digital Dans artwork is the best advise going. Know the inards and make you boolit go there. Took one a few weeks ago and I was lucky enough to get a broadside shot. Both lungs out and she was down. Have fun. Look for tracks, wallows and keep your eyes roving. They lay down sometimes and get as surprised as you do when you walk up on 'em. Have had it happen to me a couple of times.

Plate plinker
03-27-2016, 10:12 PM
Get a heliocopter!

ghh3rd
03-27-2016, 10:50 PM
I've been trying to get one here in Florida - they are around, I just haven't connected. I also carry a .45-70 and can't wait to knock one down. I've heard that "Webers" (small pigs that would fit on a Weber grill) are really tasty :-)

Good luck! Let us know how it goes...

RPRNY
03-28-2016, 12:27 AM
The little ones, sub 80 lbs are my favorites, but the big fellas will clean up and their stink doesn't carry to well prepared meat. The 75 lbs hams on this 540lbs monster I shot in December were just fine.

He fell to one of these 280 gr Hawg Hammerz in 35 Krag

Hickok
03-28-2016, 09:42 AM
Don't trust any hog. If he goes down, be careful, they will at times shake off the hit and be back on their feet.

ghh3rd
03-29-2016, 11:48 AM
Yup, a friend told me he was with someone who shot one in the head ... it fell right down. When they walked toward it, it jumped up and ran off.

geezer56
04-01-2016, 12:52 AM
I have killed 2 so far this year. Through the shoulders and DRT. Aim farther forward than a deer for sure. Broadside is best. Straight up the leg and 1/3 of the way up on the body. The head bobs and weaves like a boxer. Kind of hard to hit sometimes. I also like the quartering away shot. Hit in the ribs, aim for the exit. An angle that will give a front of the shoulder exit works great. That gristle plate is way over rated. It is there for protection from other boar's tusks. It ain't bulletproof. I shot completely through the 2 I killed with that powerhouse magnum, the 7.62X39.

Oklahoma Rebel
04-04-2016, 05:11 PM
my dad has an sks, I love it, always wanted one but they are getting too expensive,he got his for free from a neighbor that did gun shows, that was in the days of the 90 dollar sks though. well, no luck so far, I think it was lonegun who said they move around, every time I go to the "good spot I saw last time" they are never there, and I do a lot of off trail hiking too. I wish we could bait them here.they are an invasive, we should be able to!
Travis

crowbuster
04-04-2016, 06:38 PM
I know we call lots of different game. Can a pig be called in ? just curious.

Lonegun1894
04-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Yes it can. I've seen it done, both in person and in videos, but have never managed to do it myself. Apparently there's a vocabulary you have to learn, and the only thing I can say in "pig" is "Run for the hills!" when I thought it meant "come here".

JMax
04-05-2016, 01:33 PM
I hunted pigs along the Red River West of Ardmore OK years ago and used Breneke slugs out of a 12" AOW 870 with excellent luck. If a sow squeals with piglets get ready for action. We found after 3 days early AM was best in marshy areas. Always hunt in pairs at least.

Lonegun1894
04-05-2016, 07:49 PM
I hunted pigs along the Red River West of Ardmore OK years ago and used Breneke slugs out of a 12" AOW 870 with excellent luck. If a sow squeals with piglets get ready for action. We found after 3 days early AM was best in marshy areas. Always hunt in pairs at least.

Aww, come on, where's your sense of adventure? I do 99% of my hunting alone, but would welcome company, especially if they're willing to help carry the meat out on these walk in hunts. Seriously, hunting in pairs is always more fun, and safer, but I see the meth-monkeys as more of a threat than any hog, and I've met plenty of both (hogs while trying to enjoy the outdoors, and meth-monkeys at work).

David2011
04-05-2016, 08:26 PM
Don't trust any hog. If he goes down, be careful, they will at times shake off the hit and be back on their feet.

Yup, a friend told me he was with someone who shot one in the head ... it fell right down. When they walked toward it, it jumped up and ran off.

Agreed. I shot one with an inappropriate bullet a few years ago and learned a lot about bullet construction very quickly. It was a sow, about 250 pounds. I was aiming for the ear but pulled the shot and hit about an inch behind the year where the bone is fairly tough. She looked dead until we got close. Steam was coming from her head and she was still breathing. He thought he would finish her off with 4 quick shots from his revolver. A 17HMR revolver is NOT a pig gun! She jumped up and charged us. I had my AR in my hands and didn't have time to draw my .45 Colt Blackhawk with appropriate pig loads. I fired an additional 4 rounds into her and the last one dropped her permanently at a distance of about 3 yards. The bullet was a Hornady 50 grain V-Max. It's a fine bullet; just not the right selection for bigger pigs. Later hunting showed that a 55 grain soft point out of a .22-250 is plenty at 3600 fps.

We usually see more in the morning than the afternoon but have taken some big ones well after dark as well. In Texas baiting and artificial light are both permitted for non-game species.

I have started shooting along the line between the bottom of the ear and the shoulder joint. They drop fast and kick very little. As Digital Dan's picture shows, that will disrupt the central nervous system. I know a lot of folks don't like neck shots but so far, on about a half dozen attempts they have been 100% successful. I dropped 3 in about 20 minutes at one location last fall. It surprised me how fast they'll come back in after a shot if you stay still and quiet. All of the shots were from a blind at 110-115 yards.

David

TXGunNut
04-05-2016, 10:05 PM
Shucks, was hoping you'd get one, Travis. Better luck next time. Pig sign is tough to read at times but anything that indicates several visits over a period of time is encouraging. A group of pigs can tear up an area and be 10 miles away by the next night....or loafing in a shady spot 10 yards away. I've decided they're pretty tough to pattern and differ in habits & behavior.

RugerFan
04-05-2016, 11:10 PM

I shot one a little too far forward once and put a .41 mag boolit through the snout. Knocked the pig out cold, but he got up in a few seconds and started to run off. A quick follow up shot ended his day.

I know we call lots of different game. Can a pig be called in ? just curious.

I inadvertently called in a boar hog with a fawn bleat call one spring. Unfortunately I was armed with a .22 mag and looking for coyotes.

geezer56
04-10-2016, 12:11 AM
I just got through skinning the third one for the year. About 250 lb. nice red boar. Dropped him like a bad habit. Earholed him with the 7.62x39. I use it because its easier on the night vision.

Oklahoma Rebel
04-10-2016, 07:37 PM
txgunnut im glad im not the only one that has troble figuring out their habits,i'll get one though, its only a matter of time

Markbo
04-10-2016, 07:52 PM
So since this is 3 weeks.old, did you go? Did you get any?

TXGunNut
04-11-2016, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE=The O.K. KIDD;3610287]txgunnut im glad im not the only one that has troble figuring out their habits,i'll get one though, its only a matter of time=QUOTE]

Actually I think I have figured them out. They all share certain behavioral traits but can exhibit a fair bit of originality or personality as well...which of course means that I won't be figuring them out any time soon. Much has been written about patterning deer. Some hogs follow one pattern, some follow another, and more than a few can't be patterned. That's why I love hunting hogs, some are probably smarter than most critters we hunt.

Oklahoma Rebel
04-14-2016, 12:52 PM
yeah, I watched a show on national geographic about pigs, and they can be trained to do much more than dogs, and also are more understanding of their environment around them. in other words,...THEY DRIVE ME CRAZY! im dying to try my 45-70 400 grain boolit at 1400 F.P.S! I think if I hit him straight up from the leg about 6" up into the body and about 4-5" forward, I think he will be DRT. what do y'all think?

Lonegun1894
04-14-2016, 03:47 PM
For general info....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/pig%20pen/pig_anatomy_zps09125aaf.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/pig%20pen/pig_anatomy_zps09125aaf.jpg.html)

This is an excellent diagram that Digital Dan provided, and this placement has always worked for me when taking chest shots. I think you will do fine. Just make sure you leave a hog or two so you have something to hunt next time. :)

For what it's worth, I try to hit where the heart and lungs overlap, so aim just over the front leg and 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. This lets me take out both lungs and the heart with a single shot.

Markbo
04-14-2016, 08:12 PM
Thats my favorite pig hunting anatomy picture. Very clear the weird angle of the lungs and how low in the chest the heart is.

chutesnreloads
04-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Aside from eating and breeding the ONLY thing predictable about pigs is......they're unpredictable

Grampo
04-27-2016, 03:32 PM
Aside from eating and breeding the ONLY thing predictable about pigs is......they're unpredictable

Very true! I've cleaned lots of pigs over the years and have found several .30 and .22 cast bullets in the hide and fat as well as broken off broadheads from other hunters. You can make what you think is the perfect shot and the pig just runs off like nothing happened.

Oklahoma Rebel
05-05-2016, 11:24 AM
you've found all that in the gristle plate on the shoulder of hogs?!?! that's crazy, I'm surpized you got them, must be one hell of a hunter, because after their previous encounters with hunters I would imagine they would be wise and wary. pigs are wayyyyy smarter than people think.