PDA

View Full Version : Remington 11-48 28 guage repair

Cactus Farmer
03-24-2016, 09:06 PM
I found a sad 11-48 in my favorite gauge,28, plain barrel. It is missing the friction ring and mag spring retainer plus is is WELL used. It came with a Cutts and a modified tube. Now I got excited because I have an engraved barrel with the spreader and a full choke plus it has a vented rib! I'm hoping the mag spring retainer is the same as 1100 and I built the friction ring out of bearing brass and it appears to work well with Winchester AA sporting clay ammo. Anyone else like these old work horses? I forgot, it has a home made trigger group pin that will be replaces as it appears to be the same as 1100 also. I was concerned as the friction rings are a wear item and since they quit making this model in 1968 parts are scarce as chicken lips. I found a friend who just happens to have the exact gun is almost new condition so a quick measurement was made and voila, machine magic was preformed. The original is a steel spring with a bronze coating,plated or spray metal, and rubs on the magazine tube. my shop copy may not last as long but it wasn't a big deal to turn it from some 1 inch stock. .900 OD and .740? ID. 3/4 inch in length with a slight bevel on each end to fit the barrel and spring follower.
more testing will be coming soon. Should I made a spare ring for when and if this one fails?

wv109323
03-24-2016, 09:21 PM
There is a gentleman that deals with these models(11-48 and 11-58). His email address is: the58sportsman@comcast.net I bought from him on parts for a 11-48 20 gauge.

Cactus Farmer
03-24-2016, 09:27 PM
Thanks!