PDA

View Full Version : WW Etiquette

JAbee
03-24-2016, 06:12 PM
I'm a newbie to casting and to collecting WW from local tire shops. I've been fortunate and have had some success collecting, but while taking to one shop owner he mentioned that he also has another guy that stops in every few months for his weights. I was wondering if there are some unspoken "rules" for collecting weights. Don't want to start out on a bad note.

clintsfolly
03-24-2016, 06:34 PM
In SC it,s ok but in Mi will get you frown at! Really. You have to trust your gut and the body language / tone of the seller! I have one that I share with someone so I hit then when I can and get what I can. I also give more then the scrap yards and drop off donuts. Had one spot that gave me the WW and I just drop off donuts on my way to work. Was a win win till their buckets got to be 75% steel/zinc

mfraser264
03-25-2016, 10:47 AM
Agree with clintsfolly, make it a "win" for them and they will buy into the arrangement. I pay more than what my WW supplier could get at the scrap yard and save them the hassle of taking the weights in. Basically it a relationship, do the nice unexpected things like donuts or a couple of $5 pizza's that will go a long way. Try 3 places and those that say "no" go back to in a couple of weeks to prove your are serious and always leave a contact number and and always thank them for their time.

imashooter2
03-25-2016, 11:14 AM
There are no rules. Get what you can where you can. If the other guy had an exclusive relationship the dealer would have turned you away.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-25-2016, 11:40 AM
Disclaimer: I don't search out WW anymore, too many zinc'rs.

In my area, when I was searching them out, I found it's all about the relationship you can make...like most things in life I guess. One repair shop is owned by gunowners, so I would swap boolits for their WWs. Another is my main mechanic, he'd sell them to whoever, til I asked for them the first time, and I offered to pay more than the others. Same type of deal with a Auto-recycler...and I've have got battery cable ends as well as WWs from them. Lastly I know a fellow that hauls away junk for people and then does all sorts of metals recycling on the side. He comes into all sorts of various lead alloys...I have to be proactive with him, as he'll sell to anyone...and I've learned of several casters in my area through him..Good info to know.

scottfire1957
03-25-2016, 10:57 PM
Money talks, unless it's a family/friend relationship. Sometimes, the lead is not worth the money. That is up to you to figure.

jsizemore
03-26-2016, 12:04 AM
As long as someone gets them and they don't go to the landfill. If someone wants to pay more then me, more power to them.

Ural Driver
03-26-2016, 12:14 AM
Ain't tried finding WW's yet because I have an actual scrap yard nearby. Been finding all manner of lead in his bins at .75/Lb. Stopped in last week and because I paid cash I got it for .65/Lb. Once I figure out how this smelting thing works (with the lead I already have) I will try maybe try some WW to see if its worth the effort.
:cbpour:

lightman
03-26-2016, 09:46 AM
I don't worry about the other guy but I try to take care of the guys at the tire store. A gift like donuts, pizza, or beer will help make you the wheelweight guy. Also, remember them when you need a flat fixed or a set of tires. I try to have a replacement bucket with me when I go looking.

fatelk
03-26-2016, 06:47 PM
I haven't even thought about wheel weights in years (too much steel/high prices) but back when I did years ago I always thought some of the advice was interesting. I specifically remember a thread where someone had all the advice on how to get all the local shops saving weights for you- pizza, beer, spare buckets with your name on them, etc..

In my mostly fruitless searches for lead at tire shops in my area, I kept hearing the same story: "We got a guy...", "Rocky gets all our lead", "Our guy sells fishing weights to support a children's charity", "Our guy brings pizza for the crew"

I came to strongly suspect that it was all the same guy who had put in a lot of time and energy getting all the local shops tied up. More power to him, I guess.

imashooter2
03-26-2016, 10:04 PM
Donuts pizza and beer never worked around here either. What did work was the wife stopping in one day without me. Amazing the doors that a skirt will open...

JAbee
04-11-2016, 08:26 PM
thanks for advice guys

RogerDat
04-12-2016, 04:45 PM
I'll throw in it is a business relationship. That would be business (you paying them a better is good business) and relationship. Being on good terms with them. If there is work to be done on your car try and get it done by the same people you get WW's from. Even if it is just your regular oil change. What others have said about a little snack is certainly correct. Guys that get paid on Friday may be running a little short on Thursday, a pizza or some donuts will be most welcome.

Lot of places have "a guy" I suggest don't be greedy, find a pattern that misses him by a week or two or is on a different day. If you get a good haul then wait a bit longer to give the other guy a chance to get some. If the other guy is a friend or a family member you will probably get nothing right from the start. If "the guy" has been able to establish a relationship you may find you get a negative reply but still stop back from time to time, every few months because things change. More than once people have posted how the place that always said no, decided to say yes one day.

Geezer in NH
04-17-2016, 07:40 PM
None whatever. Offer something more than the cheapie before you and reap the reward.