PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new powder measure.

sawinredneck
03-24-2016, 02:33 PM
I'm sure you guys are sick of this question, but my research has just left me more confused.
I started loading around '95 because ammo for my 10mm was too expensive, so I was pretty limited. Now I'm loading for 10mm, 44 and 308. I'm wanting to add 38/357, 9mm and .243 to the line up as well in the near future. I started with a Lee PPM and don't have much bad to say about it, other than it's starting to leak reloader #7 pretty bad now and it's not a fan of Varget!
So the hunt began, money is tight but I'm not afraid to spend it once and have something I can pass on to my son.
I hear some people that love the Hornandy, and others just hate it.
The Lyman, I don't know, just looks like a pain to get it adjusted?
The RCBS version look good, but not much more money and I can get a Redding #3 that most everyone seems to like and it seems with the universal insert it should cover about anything I'm going to load.
The Harell, it's nice, but I just don't think I can, or need to justify it.
I'm on a single stage press and normally only to batches of 20-50 of any one caliber at a time, but the .357 and 9mm will probably be in larger numbers of probably 100 rds a time.
I'm not badmouthing the PPM, it's been great to me, I'd just like something more durable. So thoughts?

dudel
03-24-2016, 02:51 PM
I've been real pleased with my Dillon measure. Used it on my RockChucker for many years before I got my 550. It's the older style with the dual return springs vs the fail-safe rod). You can still get the springs from Dillon at no charge. Like you, I had a Lee PPM before the Dillon. My PPM started to leak early on. You will need powder funnels with the Dillon; but I found it combined two steps on my single stage. Before the Dillon I would run all cases through the expander, then use the PPM to dump powder in each case (my Lee charging die does not flare the case) With the Dillon, I could flare and dump in one step, so for me it was a time saver (and powder funnels are inexpensive).

Ola
03-24-2016, 02:51 PM
I have 3 (4) different ones. RCBS, Redding, CH4d (and Dillon).

The green machines are unreliable compared to CH4d. With Varget (or VV N140 which is similar powder) the Ch4D is the best by far.

https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/powder-tools/502

robg
03-24-2016, 04:50 PM
My Lyman 55 has been doing a sterling job since 82 .I, ve loaded thousands of rounds with it still works great.9mm,357mag,223,308.

Skunk1
03-24-2016, 05:06 PM
Passing it on to your son, would need a no BS lifetime+ warranty. RCBS and Dillon both have that. I have both but don't use Varget. I have no problems with either and I can pass them on to my daughter and son. Don't be afraid of the old measures though. I also have 2 old Bair's and a pacific. All came with a micrometer stem for better accuracy, but have no warranties.

rpludwig
03-24-2016, 05:10 PM
redding hard to beat, although using an RCBS uniflow now with micrometer now, no complaints...fwiw...

sawinredneck
03-24-2016, 05:10 PM
I have 3 (4) different ones. RCBS, Redding, CH4d (and Dillon).

The green machines are unreliable compared to CH4d. With Varget (or VV N140 which is similar powder) the Ch4D is the best by far.

https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/powder-tools/502

I'd heard of the CH's but didn't know they still made them, I'll keep them in mind.
I'd also forgotten about the Dillon being so popular.
Thanks for the information so far.

country gent
03-24-2016, 05:28 PM
I have 2 Harrels ( one shutzen size and standard size), 2 belding and Mulls ( used mainly with black powder). A redding BR30, a RCBS uniflow ( was extenively rebuilt by me to try and improve it) An early RCBS Charge master, several dillon measures and an old herters currently. I have also used Lymann 55, AMT auto scales, lee auto disc, and a cabellas model very similar to the RCBS. The Harrels get used for rifle rounds mostly 308 243 218bee 22 hornet and some others which one depends on size of cartridge. They are very accurate very nice a high quality unit that will last several lifetimes of use. I loaded 308 and 223 for High power matches and practice for 3 of us. It is repeatable xx number of clicks open with XXXX powder is xx grains of XXXX powder everytime on mine I like the screw on option for the powder bottles andThe only drawback is slight with the c-clamp style mounting, you need a shelf or special mount for it. The Belding and Mulls are older measures accurate and simple to use. Hoppers are on the smaller size for rifle rounds. They are pretty much all metal construction. There are 2 drawbacks to the Belding and Mull measures 1) is the c-clamp mounting and 2) is the 2 hand operation of them. Theredding Br 30 was used for years with the michrometer thimble it does repeat close to what the setting is was, a fair sized hopper. has a baffle. 7/8 14 thread mount allows it to be set up in standard mounts presses. A nice unit that does what its supposed to. The RCBS uniflow is the same technology as the redding with the standard adjustment its not as repeatable as the Harrels or redding is but it does work well. I ground both sides of the housing square and parrallel jig ground the bore, Made a new hardened steel drum with side plates. Drum has .0005 clearence and .001 side play now. The measuring chamber was cut the ground smooth round and true. measuring stems end is concave sphere on 3/8 32 thread for finer adjustment. End of rod is squared so I can measure rods length with calipers depth rod. Gets me close but normally takes a little fine adjustment. The herters is an old measure with a knob on the side that scrolls open the powder chamber fancy machining but .... The auto measures are accurate and set up easily but seem slow for medium to large rifle charges, I dropped 5 grns shy in the charge master and then hit the button. This allowed the high speed to to start and run up quick then slow speed tube to finish. I use the Harrels the most and truly like them and recomend them if you can afford it. The redding is pretty good and does a good job. The Harrels, Redding, Lymann 55. rcbs uniflow, All work and are all good measures. Depending on what you want to spend and what powders your using ( Ball, Flakes, sticks ) charge weight cases and how you want to mount it will all affect you decission on the measure purchase. A HArrels for rifle and Redding or RCBS for pistol sized rounds would be ideal set up.

David2011
03-24-2016, 09:41 PM
Hi Sawinredneck,

Welcome to the forum. The Lyman is actually easy to adjust and a nice powder measure. The RCBS UniFlow is my least favorite of the powder measures I own. It gives the broadest variation in throws of any of them with stick powders but is OK with fine ball powders, but then that's the easiest type to meter. The Dillons are amazingly good over a broad range of powders from tiny ball powders to big flake powders. The best I own is an out of production Saeco. It will throw charges of H4895 in the 40 grain range +/- 0.1 grains. Someone should make a measure as good today at a price competitive with the UniFlow.

David

Kevin Rohrer
03-24-2016, 09:55 PM
Consider a Hollywood. It's the one on the left. You can get them on Ebay pretty regularly.

str8wal
03-24-2016, 10:19 PM
The Lyman, I don't know, just looks like a pain to get it adjusted?

A pain? Not in the least. I like the Lyman 55 so much I have 6 of 'em.

sawinredneck
03-24-2016, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the welcome, David2011.
I've seen the Hollywood's on Ebay as well, I've also seen some older Reddings go for decent prices lately, but I'm leary of buying a used one, then having to put all the effort into getting a worn out measure to work for me.
Problem for me is my powders are going to be all over the place, I like Unique for the 10mm and 44mag, then use Reloader #7 for my hot 10mm loads, Varget seemed to be the most friendly for starting on the .308 loads.
But I'm planning to buy molds and start casting my own lead, so I'm sure I'll have to experiment getting my lr-308 happy, and Unique is all but impossible to find, so that means a new powder for the handguns to learn. This hoarding is getting crazy stupid!
I've spent many a year in machine shops and have one two blocks from the house that I am allowed to use the equipment, but my back is twelve kinds of screwed up so I'm only good in short bursts and I don't want to set up something and not be able to finish it that day. I might not be physically able to get back the next day, they need the machine, so on. But believe me, the thought of machining my own has certainly crossed my mind more than once!

Wayne Smith
03-25-2016, 07:52 AM
From what you just said I assume you are not into volume loading and are no longer in a hurry. I would suggest a Belding and Mull and make your own measures out of 45-70/45-90 cases making a screw block inside. That's what I use. This way you can make a measure for each of your loads.

marlin39a
03-25-2016, 08:26 AM
I've been using 2 RCBS Uniflows for the last 38 yrs. They serve me well. I do admit I stopped using Unique, as it did a poor job. You're right to do your homework, as a good measure is a lifetime tool.

Grasslander
03-25-2016, 08:43 AM
I have to agree with what Wayne suggested. I also use a variety of different powders, and the Belding and Mull will handle Varget better than any other measure I have used.

If you go with the B&M, be sure to get the micrometer measuring tube. It really helps in getting your charges adjusted more efficiently.

As mentioned, the hopper doesn't hold as much powder as most other measures. I just use a funnel placed in the top to hold more propellant.

daboone
03-25-2016, 09:15 AM
I have collected 9 different PMs. The Lee PPM, Auto disk, Classic PM, and their Auto Drum, A Harrell Schuetzen, Lyman 55, B&M, JDS Quick Measure and a Dillon. I also have a Lymans Gen 6.

I have found every one of the mechanical measures listed works very dependably and has repeatability (+/-.01) with one or two types of powders but gets funky with another. By types of powders I mean ball, flake and stick/extruded. The only measure that works with each type of powder is the Gen 6 which isn't a mechanical measure but it also only accurate to +/-.01.

Some like the Harrells and the Lee Classic PM have very precise adjustments. The others require some fiddling to dial them in. As said some work better with a ball or flake or stick but get inconsistent with at least one of them, usually the stick/extruded type powders but very fine ball powders can leak from a couple of them. that leak doesn't effect the repeatability but is just messy. The problem with the Gen 6 is it's slower than the mechanicals. However it is nice to have an electronic measure to do quick check of measurements.

I have enjoyed collecting and playing with my PMs. I based my opinions listed here using a RCBS 505 and my dad's old oil dampened Redding scales and a set of scale weight and many hours sitting at my bench learning how they work.

RCL
03-25-2016, 04:10 PM
Been using a RCBS uniflow for years, but just recently purchased a Little Dandy with adjustable rotor for loading 45acp.
The Little Dandy does a great job with WST.

sawinredneck
03-25-2016, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I was going to get a little dandy years ago when I started, but buy the time I bought all the rotors the price was off the charts, comparatively. It also wont get anywhere close to doing .308 loads.
Researching the CH measure, I just can't seem to find much info on it. Very few reviews, granted the ones that are out there are rave reviews, but just not much out there.
On the Redding, is it worth the $25ish to step up to the #3BR over the #3? Reasoning why?
Is the Horandy bench rest any, at all, better than the regular LNL PM?
Anyone try the Franklin PM, seems to get rave reviews, but I wonder about the longevity of use?
Sorry for being so picky, I just want to do it one more time, and hope to do it right.
When I bought my second press, my first was a Lee 1000 progressive that I was too scared to set up, I spent a lot of time reading and figuring out what to buy. I ended up spending the extra money on a Redding Boss, no big Boss at that time, as I wanted it to last and be able to anything I could see in my future. (I don't see .50cal and if it happens, well that's just a whole other press IMO!) I also bought the Redding #2 scale based on it's reputation.
I just bought the Lyman universal case trimmer based on research, and am happy about it.
But these dang PM's, man, they are all over the place! You either love your's or hate someone else's, just doesn't seem to be a happy medium!
Just trying to explain why I'm being so diligent about this and I appreciate everyone's patience with me on this.

sawinredneck
03-25-2016, 05:06 PM
Well, funny how things work out, I guess? Can I post links to closed Ebay sales? Seems I won an old Redding #3 master powder scale on Evilbay for $30 shipped! No powder hopper, but I can get that from Midway reasonably, as well as the screws for it.
For $30, I figure it's worth trying at least?

Guardian
03-25-2016, 05:56 PM
My opinions on the powder measures I own or have owned:

LEE Perfect - Whatever, it's far from perfection. It worked, but was no joy to use.

Lyman 55 - It can be a little tricky to get the gross adjustment correct, but dialing in the medium and fine is pretty simple. You're going to crunch powder if you use extruded powders, but if you avoid using the fine adjustment, it's better. I just set mine to drop a little heavy and then pick the extra out with my fingers, dropping grain by grain until it gets where I want it. I find that method faster than using a trickler.

Hornady drum measure - It works fine for ball and flake powders. It isn't consistent enough for my satisfaction with extruded powders. I gave up on it with extruded powders and use the measure exclusively on the LNL AP press.

Hornady pistol measure - This is an older slide/bushing model that is no longer made. I don't use it much, but for pistol rounds that you're ok with being close to your desired weight, it works fine and is quick. Never tried extruded powders in it, but wouldn't expect it to work well with that.

Harrell's Schuetzen measure - My favorite measure to use, but it's pistol only and I rarely load pistol off the progressive anymore. Again, ball and flake are all I've ever run through it. It doesn't take but one time using it to understand why it costs so much.

Hornady LNL Auto-Charge - It works ok. It's been fairly consistent, once I found the instructions to adjust some other parameters besides weight. The instructions are on the net, but weren't included with the unit. It's slow, though. The only benefit is that I can be doing something else while it's dispensing, like seating a bullet and crimping on my turret press. If I am batch loading in the traditional manner, I just use the 55 as it's faster.

JDS Quick Measure - It was supposed to be the answer to my problems with extruded powders. It's a NICE measure, but I've yet to get the consistency from it that was claimed with extruded powders, and I've tried many different ones to see if it was just the longer kernels. It stays in a case, most of the time. Others have assured me that I must be doing something wrong, but I've come to the conclusion that we just have different expectations.

After all that, I ended up going to ball powder (CFE-223) for 223 and 308 loads so that I can run them on the progressive without worry. Anything else rifle is a lower volume and is done on the turret in a semi-batch method, mostly using the Auto-Charge.

Guardian
03-25-2016, 05:59 PM
Oh, and I converted the hornady drum measure to use a Sinclair bottle adapter intended for the RCBS, which incorporates a baffle. I did that after the original plastic reservoir melted when I left powder in it a few days. Lesson learned.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-25-2016, 09:38 PM
Most loaders have their favorites in the world of powder measures for various reasons and the results of use and experience. However the finding of the perfect all the time measure can be almost a hobby into itself. From the very beginning I found myself working with various measures in a quest to find the ultimate answer; it never really happened. In the end I settled on 3 RCBS Uniflows and stuck with them ever since. I felt secure with the RCBS guarantee. They have always worked well for me...or as close within reason as I could expect. The major producers of good equipment all make a decent measure and it usually does a good job or close to it. It would be difficult to say and prove that one particular measure is better than another and I would not even try. If you are having difficulties with the performance of your current unit then get rid of it and try another until you find one that better meets your expectations. LLS

sawinredneck
03-25-2016, 10:21 PM
I'll ask again, can I post closed Ebay auctions?

I BOUGHT a used Redding off of Ebay tonight and would like to see others thoughts on the purchase?

Alvarez Kelly
03-27-2016, 06:25 PM
oops. Delete this error

Alvarez Kelly
03-27-2016, 06:26 PM
I'll ask again, can I post closed Ebay auctions?

I BOUGHT a used Redding off of Ebay tonight and would like to see others thoughts on the purchase?

The spirit of the rule is not to advertise eBay stuff for sale on this board. Especially if it's your stuff.

That said, you can brag on recent purchases you made. That happens all the time. Also, if something really rare comes up, you can tell others about it if you are so inclined. Unless you are the one selling it.

Clear as mud, right?

KenT7021
03-27-2016, 06:53 PM
I have two Lyman 55's.I bought the first one in the late 50's.They used to come with a chart that showed approximate settings for different powders.Lyman probably will not provide the chart now because of liability.The chart was a fold out page in Lyman manuals from manual 37-40 or so.It made starting settings easier.Use the narrowest and deepest slide setting possible.I picked the second 55 up from eBay and installed a brass reservoir to use as black powder measure.I much prefer the Lyman over the RCBS measure for ease of adjusting.
I do like the RCBS Little Dandy measure for loading pistol ammo.

sawinredneck
03-27-2016, 08:10 PM
The spirit of the rule is not to advertise eBay stuff for sale on this board. Especially if it's your stuff.

That said, you can brag on recent purchases you made. That happens all the time. Also, if something really rare comes up, you can tell others about it if you are so inclined. Unless you are the one selling it.

Clear as mud, right?

Yup, I get the idea now! Thank you!
This is what I won, http://www.ebay.com/itm/262341624291?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Like I say, needs a reservoir and screws, does it take two, three or four of them? Anyone? Midway has it all, just out of stock on the screws right now, and I plan to make a purchase from them anyway, so it works.
I've been fairly happy with my other Redding gear, so I hope this is a little better, as it's older. Like I said, for $30, I don't think I got hurt any on it.

sawinredneck
03-29-2016, 02:58 AM
I got this today, VERY happy with this seller, it was gritty at first, had some rough spots and a bit of rust here and there, so I hit it with a bit of PB Blaster, a little goes a long way! Then washed everything out with Iso alcohol.
I don't have a reservoir for it yet, so my testing is subjective at best, but I used two of the most different powders I had on hand, Varget and AA Reloader #7. All the way closed off, both produced .1grn, consistently. Wide open, this was an oddity IMO, I got right at 70grn with #7 and 71grns with Varget? I figured it would be well off the other way!
Either way, this thing seems to be built like a tank and I can't wait to get a reservoir for it as I'm certain it can only help stabilize the measurements.
Also, these old measures take two screws, I'm only missing one, but figure I'll order two just because. Seems like a pretty cool old tool, why can't they make something like that now days?

Fluxed
03-29-2016, 04:00 PM
You should look at a "pill bottle" adapter for your measure. Then you can screw on the powder bottle of the powder you want to use. They got the name "pill bottle" years ago before plastic wide mouth powder bottles existed which happen to use the same thread.

sawinredneck
04-06-2016, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the idea, Fluxed, may try that later, already made my order for the reservoir, baffle and cap, so should know Thurs. how it fairs out.